62nd Primetime Emmy Awards Discussion

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Dream, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Geck

Geck Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was a fairly entertaining awards show and moved along at a decent clip. The movie/miniseries bit tended to drag, but probably just because I'd never seen or heard of any of them.

Nice to see a lot of people win who hadn't won before, even if Kyra Sedgwick was the only real surprise. I thought she was another of those who'd get nominated every year and never win, a la Hugh Laurie. I don't even know a single person who watches The Closer.

I thought Lost might get one award. Did they get any of the technical ones last week? I'm also disappointed that Dexter still doesn't get much recognition. Hall for sure deserves one, and I'll never be satisfied till Jennifer Carpenter gets a Supporting Actress nom.

2. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Anyone who hasn't seen Temple Grandin should absolutely see it. It's one of my favourite TV movies. Like Rainman? You'll like it.

3. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Jim Parsons wins.. what a great achievement and well deserved. Without that man Big Bang wouldn't be such a hit so i'm very happy for him and you could see his surprise at winning.

It was a nice show, awful teleprompter jokes as always (the only ones i really laughed at was Ricky Gervais and the True Blood cast making a Vampire pun and obviously enjoying it) but it went by swiftly.

However someone needs to seriously think of a new way to present such awards.. when i was still watching MTV about a decade ago the MTV Movie awards were a blast with their weird categories and special awards.. that was the most entertaining awards show ever.

4. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

John Hodgeman as color commentator was awesome, though. After about halfway through the awards show, I was wondering if people were actually listening to his comments. They were hilarious. :lol:

5. Brandonv

Brandonv Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree, it is a very good film. I was very happy to hear that Claire Danes won an Emmy for her performance.

6. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

*raises hand* :p

Much as I love Lost, this was its weakest season, and it's already won a lot of awards in the past.

7. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Some news on who watched...

8. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Jimmy Fallon, FWIW, was a shitty host. Whoever thought he'd make a good choice should be fired. :rolleyes:

Didn't like him what bit and have, infact, never liked him and hated him on SNL.

9. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

For those that missed it, here is the opening from last night's show. I have to admit it was pretty epic.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPkDFPmRSqU[/yt]

10. Geck

Geck Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Totally disagree, and I thought he did quite a good job last night. Certainly not the best host ever, but I'd happily give him a second go-round. But then, I've always been a fan of him, so there we go.

11. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Holy crap. I missed the opening, but damn, how come the rest of the show wasn't that good? I mean, the first half was pretty entertaining, but it kinda started to drag a little bit after that. Jimmy Fallon's non-stop musical bits were also getting a little bit grating.

I mean, that opening and the bits with him and his guitar were funny (for a while) but those musical skits he did for the shows that were recently canceled (Law & Order, Lost, 24) felt tacky and disrespectful to me. I mean, Law & Order deserved a better send-off then Fallon mimicking Elton John.

12. Trekker4747

I assume Jane Lynch wasn't in the final, on stage, production considering her "stand in" doesn't much at all look like her. And I will say I'm glad she won her award, the woman is brilliant.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  13. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Now that I've had some time to think about it, I'm not as mad about Lost being snubbed in it's final season. The show as as a whole got most of the Emmys that mattered over it's run. It won for drama series, two supporting actors awards, directing, and music.

Meanwhile, Dexter as a show gets screwed every year. It's sad to think that Michael C. Hall might never win an Emmy.

14. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, Michael C. Hall and Hugh Laurie are long overdo.

15. Trekker4747

Laurie is looooongggggg overdue. That man has acted his ass off for the last six seasons and he's done some powerful, powerful, stuff. I don't always think he makes the best selection on his submission but this year's submission was a fairly good one.

16. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Laurie missed his chance, I think; his show's in decline.

Next year Bryan Cranston won't be eligible, so it will likely be Jon Hamm vs. Michael C. Hall; I'd give the edge to Hamm, given that Mad Men hinges completely on him, and it's the most acclaimed drama on TV (of course, the Emmys never did get around to giving it to Martin Sheen).

17. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed. I was stunned when he didn't win last year.

Color me shocked on this one. I'm not an Emmy watcher so it never occurred to me that he hadn't one at least once. Simply unbelievable. But what can you do?

Of course I'm the guy who hasn't gotten over Robert Duvall not winning for Lonesome Dove however many years ago that was. I think maybe that's when I stopped watching the Emmys.

18. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nah, I thought Jimmy did a great job, he was a lot of fun, and I'd be glad to see him host again.

19. NCC1701MF

NCC1701MF Captain Captain

Yes it won two.
    "The End" won for Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing For a Drama Series and for Outstanding Sound Editing for a Series.

20. McCoy

McCoy Commodore Commodore

It didn't help that Fallon spouted a HUGE f'in spoiler for Lost while my wife, who I'm trying to keep interested in the show, was watching. Bastard.