Dune: The TV series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Joe Washington, Mar 1, 2014.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was pretty good. I've never seen it before.

2. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I don't know, it took me three attempt to get through Dune the first time (I had reading difficulties as a young man.) Now I've since read it like four more times over the years, but that first time felt like a right of passage and those subsequent readthroughs enabled me to really digest a lot of what's going on between the lines. So I'm not sure if I would recommend someone basically check out the cliff notes first.

This is just me, but I'd say if someone has an interest, then they'll persevere. If not, then they won't, regardless of they know ahead of time. Hell, all I needed to get me started was watching the David Lynch film--which also took me several attempts to get through the whole thing! ;)

3. Joe Washington

Joe Washington Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

4. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I've read the first four Frank Herbert Dune books and I've read the prequels (the House series) and am working my way through Paul of Dune. I tried the first Butlerian Jihad book but couldn't get into it. Granted Herbert's books are on another level (I really enjoyed the first three, but didn't like God Emperor of Dune). That being said, the House series was enjoyable. It was accessible. And it was cool seeing the run up to the original Dune. The Brian Herbert books have their charms.

5. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Have to admit I found it a bit underwheling - simply the mouth moving to the opening narration.

Thought perhaps they might have animated some other shots/scenes to illustrate as things went along.

6. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Bizarre, but enjoyed that

The Irulan/Lynch exposition opening is still one of my favourites of all time. Shouldn't work in terms of cinema conventions, but does for me.

7. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

The miniseries does a good job of doing the info dump while having Paul and Jessica argue over Yueh's hologram lesson.

8. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea