Small 2010 update - covers and titles

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by DarkHorizon, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Tara

Tara Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Aside from Trek and Man from Uncle I don't know much about Ireland's career in the 60s. But the hair can be from a cap, and the face from a high-res shot from a completely different source... (which is what I would do, if it were me).

ETA: however, it occurs to me that the artist could have simply capped the shot himself from the DVDs, which is why you can't find it at TrekCore. When a fan site caps images, they tend to concentrate on the series regulars, rather than the guest stars. I'm sure it's possible that shot was from the ep, just not in a cap in the TrekCore galleries?

2. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

The google-fu in this thread is strong.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's far more likely than it being a composite image. In fact, I do find the image familiar.

But recall that we've identified some of these images as being taken directly from TrekCore. The shot of the Enterprise on the TCoK cover is precisely the one at TrekCore from the end of the remastered "The Man Trap." The perspective on everything is exactly the same, so it has to be that very frame. The Kirk and Spock images on the Inception cover also seem to be the exact same frames found on TrekCore. So that seems to indicate that the cover artists are using that site as their sources; thus, it was reasonable to expect that the Leila image would come from there as well. Hence my surprise that it apparently isn't.

4. Tara

Given that a lot of Leila's close-ups were shot soft-focus, the hair could have come from her good-bye scene in the transporter room at the end of the episode (the angles seem to match) while her face had to be found in another image.

Given that the HD caps at Trekcore are 72dpi and the images used on the covers would (at minimum) have to be 300dpi, either there's some serious manipulation going on, or the artists are finding the shot they want, using the fan caps as reference, and making their own caps? The only reason I thought of it was the shadows on Pike's left eye differ slightly between the TCoK cover, and the TrekCore cap.

I wish we could kidnap Cliff Nielsen to this board and pick his brains :)

5. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

When I toured the Pocket offices, one of the things Marco showed me were the binders and binders containing a treasure trove of high resolution images. I'm sure that sort of thing has been supplemented with the ability to screen cap from DVD, but at the time, I was still like, "Uh, go get a cup of coffee and come back in five minutes, would you? What's that? Yeah, my bag was already this bulky when I came in."

6. Tara

Thrawn: I can't speak for Christopher, but I live by Google Image Search, when it comes to hunting up reference. Well, and stockxpert.com (where I buy all the stock I use for freelance, as well as a chunk of web and video work we do at my day job).

Christopher: Thanks for IDing the "The Man Trap" cap! I have now rushed back over to PhotoShop...

Dayton: Part of the geek joy of being a fan who also gets to play with licenced properties!

My goal is actually to do book covers someday (currently at my day job I don't get to do much print design, but freelance I'm designing little bits and bobs for DAW for Seanan McGuire's Toby Daye series, and I do both her and Claudia Gray's websites, along with RJ Anderson and the odd eBook cover now and then). I need to build up a better portfolio of work, tho. Graphics-wise, anyway. I co-edited a Doctor Who essay book called Chicks Dig Time Lords for a small press that's coming out in March.

Two of my best mates in the UK do work for Doctor Who and Blake's 7 licences, and one of them had literally my dream project, designing the The Wit and Wisdom of Gene Hunt books for Bantam's Life on Mars tie-ins.

When people see all my tweets about vector blood spatter, a lot of them assume it's for fun--which it is, just luckily fun I get paid for!

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I just don't buy that. It would be hard to get the angles to match perfectly. It's far more likely that the artist simply found a screencap that isn't on TrekCore. As I said, that image does look familiar, as though I've seen it before. It could be an on-set photograph used for publicity rather than a screencap, explaining the sharper focus.

8. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:guffaw:Beautiful, man! Right up there with some of Leslie Charteris' best!

9. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

The shot of Jill Ireland looks like a photo taken on the set, a publicity still or whatever. And not that I know a lot about photography, but I recall it being a picture that looked too brightly lit.
    I believe I may have seen it in Alan Asherman's Trek Episode book.

10. Tara

I have the 1986 printing of The Star Trek Compendium, and it's not in there. Nor is it in the Encyclopaedia or the Chronology.

(I had to actually remind myself to go over to the bookcase, instead of reaching for the mouse for a second there...)