Crossover with other franchises?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by FreddyE, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    You can't have nauseatingly nice people in Survivor - you need people who have at least one personality flaw (that said - in season 1, Colleen's personality flaw was that she was too nice). However, I did run across a Doctor Who/Survivor story a long time ago, and it was quite well done, with a twist ending I'd certainly never have expected.

I'd put Worf on Big Brother, though, or possibly The Amazing Race. After all, those require social skills and dexterity a lot more than sheer brute strength. And the idea of Amazing Race is to see something of the different locations, learn about local customs, etc.

Does Bashir have any talent besides dressing up nice and playing darts?

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Not only do the Hirogen act like the Predators (Yautja is their species/civilization name, isn't it?), but the Nausicaans look like them. So it would be doubly superfluous.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I want Data to play try BBC's modern Sherlock on the holodeck. And have that version of Moriarty come to life and wreak havok...

4. Christopher

Except that Star Trek is a work of fiction within the world of Sherlock (John jokingly addressed Sherlock as "Spock" in "The Hounds of Baskerville"), so that would create one heck of a paradox.

5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^No more than the current Star Trek/Doctor Who crossover series.

6. Christopher

Or Star Trek/X-Men, because there have definitely been references to Trek as fiction within X-Men and other Marvel comics.

7. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

At the time I wrote the outline, Voyager wasn't even a glint in Michael Piller's eye.

It was shortly after Batman/Predator, and I thought about cool possibilities that Dark Horse could run with. TNG/Predator was one. Blade Runner/Predator. I even wrote an outline for a Predator technothriller.

8. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

Survivor is a reality program, and Star Trek is fiction, but I suppose there is a way to combine the two.

1) create a mock up of a starship, and put some real nonactors in star fleet uniforms and have them roleplay starfleet officers having them make various decisions on a scenario given to them by a GM, basically its roleplaying modified by dice rolling perhaps to determine the degree of success, and through this roleplaying a story is created, then the contestants then act through the scenaro they previously created with the GM in the role playing session, and well see what becomes of it. Each episode will feature different contestants, and sometimes the mission is successful and sometimes not, the audience will be left wondering.

9. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

How about the Starship Enterprise rescues a crystalline spaceship, that is on a slower than light trajectory towards Earth, its path indicates an origin in the system of a supernova remnant and an expanding cloud of gas and dust. Inside is a humanoid in suspended animation, a blonde teenage girl that appears human, but tricorder readings indicate otherwise.

10. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    VOY Flesh & Blood shamelessly rips off Predator - Silvestri's score, Fed holograms attacking from underwater. Pah.

11. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

A Predator/Clancy-type technothriller would be a natural follow-on from the first two movies, really - just have it be about the department that Gary Busey's character works for...

Trek would definitely be more suited to an Aliens visit...

12. Christopher

It's called an homage.

13. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

How about combining Jurassic Park with Star Trek?

14. Christopher

Kinda been done...

15. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    That's one word for it, I guess. ;)

16. Christopher

Well, come on, really. If you emulate something from a widely known movie, then obviously you're not going to get away with claiming you originated it. So it's pretty silly to accuse the people involved of attempting plagiarism or trying to deceive the audience. Obviously they expected and intended the reference to be recognized. And that is why "homage" is the right word for it and "ripoff" is an illegitimate, nonsensical, and gratuitously insulting word for it.

17. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

As I recall, the second half of "Macrocosm" was basically one big homage to Alien. And that was one of Voyager's better episodes.

18. Christopher

^Wow, I hated "Macrocosm." Not only was the science utter nonsense, but I didn't like how Janeway was written. It felt to me as though Brannon Braga's idea of writing a strong woman was to write her as Rambo.

19. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I thought Janeway was hot in it - works for me

20. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt