What are your current computer's specs?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Captain Ice, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

Mine has a monocle. It fits over the webcam. ;)

Anyway, to answer the OP question properly, here's my current unit:

Acer Aspire 8920G
    Intel Core2 Duo T9300 (2.5GHz)
    4Gb RAM
    Nvidia GeForce 9500M GS, 512Mb memory
    2 x 232Gb HDD
    1Tb and 2Tb external hard drives
    BluRay player / DVD writer
    VGA Webcam
    18.4" monitor, max resolution 1920x1080
    Windows Vista

Had it for 3 and a half years, and never needed repairing.

2. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

PC III:
    AMD Athlon II X2 220 Processor
    2.8 GHz
    2 GB RAM
    64-bit
    Windows 7

PC I: (offline unit, originally bought in 2001)
    Intel Pentium 4
    1.44 GHz
    128 MB RAM
    32-bit
    Windows ME

3. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

But what about PC II?!

4. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Closing in on two years old:

Core i7 930 with a modest overclock (never have luck with my overclocks)
    MSI X-58 Pro mobo (and this might be the reason, but it was a really good bundle deal at the time)
    12GB of memory.. Patriot brand, no clue of the model
    Intel 80GB SSD
    3x RAID edition 1TB hard disks in RAID 0, I forget the brand, and yes, I expect my data to all be corrupt any day.
    3x Samsung 24" 1920x1200 monitors
    Razer Lycosa keyboard ever (not that great)
    Mionix Naos 5000 mouse (best mouse ever)
    Steelseries 9HD mousepad
    Random 20 dollar dvd writer
    Steelseries 9HD mouse pad
    Some 70 dollar logitech 2.1 speaker system
    Wireless adapter for Xbox360 controllers
    Antec 850w power supply, whatever the one is that they put 'racing stripes' on :lol:
    And an unwieldy mess of external USB2 and eSATA hard disks.
    Win 7 Ultimate, because for some reason the Windows disk thinks I'm entitled to the Alienware OEM version... I wonder how that happened :confused:

5. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Committed suicide last year.
    :wah:

6. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Hey, that's still a lot better than what I have been using the last couple of years. What's wrong with it?

I've been using my laptop (a 5 year old HP Compaq) as a desktop for years before I got a new desktop computer last November and I didn't need a cooling pad or a docking station (I'm not even sure what that is). If your computer gets too hot it either needs cleaning or is defective (even if it gets too hot right from the start - I know that some laptops have those problems) and should be replaced.
    One of the fans in my laptop broke and the thing got so hot the plastic case started to smell funny, yet nothing was damaged. These things are pretty sturdy.
    If you use it as a desktop and have it plugged in you should remove the battery (before plugging it in) because eventually this will cause the battery life to deteriorate (that happened with mine).
    If you want to carry it around, a travel case comes in handy, though other bags in the right size are fine, too. My backpack has an extra pocket for laptops so that's an option, too. It really depends on your habits.

As for my system (it's a Mini ITX system):
    Intel® Core™ i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz × 4
    Intel HD 2000 graphics chip
    4 GB DDR-Ram
    HDD: Western Digital Caviar 500 GB
    all in a fancy red Lian Li case

screen: LG flatron W2443T 24''

7. think

think Like Spock Premium Member

<<<<serious dyslectical in thought time and space but ,,, LOL love you too...

--------------the re-write-----------

two dual core AMD Opteron Processor 275
    two processors each of which has a double processor core and each of these cores are 64 bit processors that ....

2.21 GHz 3gig ram
    process at the speed of 2.21 gigahertz per second with 3 gigabytes of on board ram...(that I keep having to push back in cause they vibrate free)

linux box lap
    I have a linux os*ubuntu* on an old laptop that does some s-video graphics out(in a cable connected to a svideo in dvd burner) that i use the project M program to create(pretty pictures that move).

[​IMG]

and a xp box lap
    I have another old laptop that has windows xp on it and I use that one for email and other simple things...

As these are all archaic things I have dual monitor outs in the main thing 2 24 in flats...
    I have two twenty four inch flat monitors accepting 2 separate signals from the two dual core processor machine by amd..

the cores are 64 bitters so it is like 4 sixty for bit processors. but even still rendering movies is like pulling teeth sometimes..
    the cores are 64 bit machine coded instruction set devices works with four of them threaded appropriately - but to render a movie with a 64 bit coded movie rendering program takes forever and a day.

this is like a three or four year old machine that I have been using for that long. I have decided not to get into machine coding with it because the machine architecture as been reworked into... something different..
    this four processor machine is three or four years old and right now I am working to get a dual 16 core mother board and processor set because this machine can not do the movie renders quicker then like real time(you know the actual time it takes to do something in film being rendered at that actual speed in time)

-------------------
    this part is an aside ...
    it is really annoying cause the processors bit structure will not run some 32 bit compiled fractal programs so rather then redesign a whole new fractal program at machine level I have decided to ,,, wait for something to change to make it easier like the conceptnet5 going on..

8. Tank.

Tank. Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Asus Motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ
    Windows 7 Professional 32 bit
    3 Gigs of RAM
    Graphics: ATI Radeon X1650
    Supports dual monitors. I have a 17" and 19" side by side.
    Performance MX Wireless mouse and ergonomic Microsoft keyboard.

I would like some tips on video editing software, mainly for 3-5 minute videos with lots of cuts.

Also I wonder whether I could just swap the processor for a 64 bit one??? and if I can I'll just upgrade the graphics card.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  9. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

^In order to upgrade that computer, you'd have to pretty much gut it. New motherboard, new chipset, new ram.... sticking a new video card in a five year old machine really isn't worth the money, unless it's a $60 card and you're only doing it because the old one died. Your processor will be a tremendous bottleneck.

Really, if you're going to put $400 into a five year old machine, spend twice that and get a rocking i5 machine that will last you another five years. Especially if you're compiling video and stuff, you'll notice the difference in speed.

10. Tank.

Tank. Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Thanks for the tip, I'll start saving up then.

11. spinnerlys

spinnerlys Commander Red Shirt

I had two Windows desktop computers and two Windows notebook computers before I switched to Mac OS X in 2004 to an iBook G4, which was the most stable and durable (water damage to the screen and several falls) computer I have ever owned.

I now have a 2007 20" iMac with a C2D CPU running at 2 GHz, 4 GB RAM, an ATI Radeon HD 2400 GPU with 128 MB VRAM, and upgraded to an SSD with 60 GB capacity, which makes it still fast enough for more than daily use (I can edit HD video, properly transcoded, just fine with it).
    I also have a 2009 17" MacBook Pro with a C2D CPU running at 2.8 GHz, 8 GB RAM, an Nvidia 9400M IGP with 256 MB shared RAM and 9600M GT GPU with 512 MB VRAM, a 120 GB SSD and 500 GB HDD inside it. It can do all the things the iMac can do, just faster and with less hangups, though Safari proves to be a bitch lately, letting the MBP panic quite often.
    I also have several external HDDs, from 500 GB 2.5" HDDs in USB enclosures to 3.5" 1.5 TB HDDs connectable via Firewire 800 or eSATA, I guess 15 to 20 TB at all, though I backup my photos and personal video footage twice, which takes up 3 TB (including the backups).
    Both Macs run Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard, as the newest Mac OS X 10.7 Lion is not for me, it is to iOS-ified, which makes buying a new Mac (eventually I have to get a new computer) complicated and I ponder about building my own Hackintosh when it comes to that.

12. FordSVT

http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc

Quite possibly the best resource I've found for building a new comp. The people there are extremely helpful creating builds within a certain price range.

13. FordSVT

If you're talking about a new desktop computer and you're in love with OSX, that's what I'd do.

14. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

CPU - 3.2ghz Quad Core
    RAM - 16gb 1600MHz
    Graphics - Nvidia 9600 SLI 1gb dedicated x 2
    HDD - 8.5tb Internal, 6gb external Ethernet storage
    DVD Drive
    Display - 3 x Samsung 24 inch HD minitors

Only upgraded last September, so i know it's a beast lol

M

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

iMac:
    2.8 Ghz Intel Quad Core i5
    4 GB RAM
    1 TB hard drive
    ATI Radeon video
    Mac OS X 10.7.2 Lion

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  16. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Intel Dual Core E8400 @ 3GHZ
    Nvidia 8800GT 512MB
    1.25TB (250GB + 1TB) HDDs
    2GB DDR2 RAM

The ram is a big bottleneck, but I can fix that pretty easily. The CPU is also very easily overclocked, so this should do me for quite a few years to come.

17. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

I had to get a new laptop last Autumn; I just looked up the specs: Intel i7-2670QM 2.20 GHz, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 540M 2GB.

I'll let those more familiar with these things decide exactly what that means in the grand scheme of things. Since I basically just use it for Office, some very light photo editing, email and internet, it's plenty fast enough. I like to keep my computers a long time before replacing them. The Vaio this replaced lasted 5+ years, so I'm hoping this one does the same too.

18. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

My laptop (now 3 years and 3 months old):
    CPU: P7350 (Core2Duo, 2.0GhZ per core) - will be upgraded to X9100 (3.06GhZ) in a few weeks,
    GPU: 9700m GT GDDR3 - will maybe be upgraded later on to a better one that offers 40% better performance - but I don't think I will in the end.
    RAM: 8GB 200pin so-dimm DDR2 - 800MhZ (upgraded today from 4GB),
    HDD: Hitachi 500GB 7k500 (7200rpm) - plan to put it into a caddy by taking out my optical drive (which I never use anyway) and place an SSD (80 or 100GB should suffice) as the primary drive for OS and programs - though this upgrade won't happen for another 6 months or more.

That's about it.
    I spent about 200EUR for the CPU/RAM upgrade - which I found cheap and better than buying a new laptop altogether (which simply isn't an option right now, and besides, I like tinkering with this one).
    I'm thinking the current setup with the new CPU will last me at least another year or two before I upgrade.

19. ares93

ares93 Commodore Commodore

Yeah, tinkering with laptops is fun. I more or less built my last three laptops.

Zepto 3215w:
    Celeron M540 (i think) -> T5250 -> T7250 -> X9000
    1GB -> 2GB -> 4GB
    15.4 1280x800 -> 15.4 1680x1050
    Azurewave 802.11G -> Intel 802.11N
    Added 3415w power button cover.

Asus X72JR:
    Intel i3-330m -> Intel i5-520m
    2GB -> 4GB -> 8GB
    500gb 5400rpm -> Intel SSD + Secondary 500GB 7200rpm

Toughbook CF-29:
    Refurbished case, maxed ram to 1.5gb, added GPS, added emissive keyboard, added DVD-RW , sata conversion + Corsair SSD, added WWAN + antenna, added internal bluetooth, added internal mic, replaced LCD, replaced touchscreen, added CF-30 handle, modified the passive cooling system. I'm also working on biometrics. Its a pretty tight fit.

20. FordSVT

That's pretty much the best processor and graphics card combo you can get in a laptop without going insane with the price, it should do you just fine for the next few years.