Absolute worst character in DS9 History: Ezri Dax

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by ZeNd, Jan 21, 2013.

1. ZeNd

ZeNd Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just finished watching DS9 from start to finish for about the 15th time or so and I **NEVER** liked Ezri since it's original run. She just did not fit the show, didn't fit Starfleet, and felt *rushed* as a last minute way to pop a character on the show to replace Dax. Combined with the fact that there were way too many episodes trying to develop her crappy character makes her the worst cast member in DS9 history. Maybe in the entire Stat Trek Universe beating out Neelix.

They should of just let Dax die with Jadzia, or maybe make Erzi leave DS9 after the 2nd episode on that starship as the councilor. I think it was too fake anyway having Sisko warm up to Ezri so fast just because she had the Dax symbiont. Worfs initial attitude towards Dax was more realistic IMHO.

2. NX-01

NX-01 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I completely agree, I really disliked Ezri. I think I liked her less than Kai Wynn and I HATED her. lol

I think Dax shouldn't have been replaced with another Dax. It should have been a complete new charactor. Why would they replace a science office with a shrink? Makes no sence.

TribbleFeeder likes this.
  3. Triskelion

Triskelion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ha ha, you're in love with the Grand Nagus.

4. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

I preffered that they promote Dax to captain at the end of season 5 en let her die at the end of season 6 or 7.

5. Ryva Brall

Ryva Brall Commander Red Shirt

I'm not a fan of Ezri either. Like ZeNd said, they devoted way too many episodes to her, when the final season really should have been used to tie up all the plot lines. As a result, the finale felt a little too rushed, and the viewers (or at least, this one) felt like the writers were cramming Ezri down their throats. Plus I just couldn't get past her cuteness and her annoying little-girl voice. It made it hard for me to take her seriously. Although I did enjoy when Garak tore her apart in "Afterimage". What can I say? I'm a little evil. :devil:

Triskelion, your avatar made me spit tea on myself. Well done.

6. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I'd not had a chance to see all the Ezri episodes until 2 weeks ago. I liked Nicole de Boer's work as Ezri, and understand why they went for another Dax, but think Nicole might have done better as a completely new character without a heritage to live up to.

fireproof78 likes this.
  7. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

Nah, the worst DS9 character would be either Zek or Ishka. :barf:

Ezri could definiitely have been handled better in season seven though. I think she was better written than Jadzia, as it was more interesting to see a Trill joined that wasn't ready for it. However, what annoyed me was that she stole a lot of screen time by being the new girl, so I would have preferred her as a recurring guest. Or even for Jadzia not to have been killed in the first place.

Or kill Jadzia off in season four and let Ezri develop at a normal rate.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  8. ZeNd

ZeNd Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't even know what to say. I'm speechless.

Thotch and Jinn like this.
  9. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Man, this section is really negative.

I liked Ezri Dax. Hell, I even like Vic Fontaine although he was given way too much screentime for the period of the show he popped up in.

WarpTenLizard and Alejandro like this.
  10. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To be fair... she -was- rushed and added in at the last minute.

I didn't mind the character too much. My biggest complaint is they focused on her way too much as if to compensate for her not being around before. But every show just about does this with a new character, so that's hardly unique.

Ezri and Bashir hooking up does have "consolation prize" written all over it though.

However a thread with the title "worst character in DS9 history" does strike me as border line trolling.... being speechless because someone has a different opinion than you is a bit over the top too. You could have started a discussion on the topic in a more civil manner.

Armus likes this.
  11. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

I liked Ezri.

IMO, the worst character was Eddington.

Lous and Six of Twelve like this.
  12. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I warmed up to Ezri later on. I don't think either Sisko or Worf's reaction was unrealistic, but maybe each a little exaggerated. I can see Worf feeling that way on the inside but treating her like garbage was over the line.

I liked Zek at the beginning but toward the end he became a little too silly to justify holding a position of power.

I would have liked it if the Rules of Acquisition read more like a libertarian economics textbook. Instead the rules tend to be like:
    1-200) Be a dick all the time
    201-285) Women suck

Vic Fontaine has to be my least favorite. Plots like that belong in Voyager, not DS9.

13. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

And if you locked any writer in a room and asked him, he'd tell you the exact same thing.

There's a reason Jadzia was pushed to the side by season four and why so much of season seven and (as I pointed out in the other thread) the relaunch are devoted to Ezri.

Jadzia was, from a writer's perspective, a flawed character to begin with. Others have established why in the other thread much better than I could.

The fact the actress struggled with the nuanced dialog only made it worse. You'll notice Meany took up most of the expositional slack in the later years.

They made sure to get it write the second time by:

A) Making sure to add a conceptual twist and

B) Removing the technobable.

WarpTenLizard and Armus like this.
  14. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think Ezri was the worst character in DS9, but I do think she shouldn't have been a main character because of the time they require and that there was only 26 episodes left. Of course adding Vic also didn't help

If you're not going to kill Dax you have to bring it back, but you could have done that in one or two episodes. In these episodes you could deal with Sisko, Worf and Bashir and then the new Dax moves on. I almost feel sorry for the symbiont as it seems to be stuck in a holding pattern of its former host's life.

ThreeEdgedSword likes this.
  15. Ryva Brall

Hey, it could have been worse.

They could have made Lwaxana Troi a regular character.

Lous and QuantumMechanic like this.
  16. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

That's almost worth a new topic: Who would have been the worst crossover character to replace Jadzia Dax?

17. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Neelix.

And I like Neelix.

18. Ryva Brall

The obvious answer here would be Wesley. But I'm going with Chakotay. He was more boring than watching your computer defrag.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  19. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really liked Ezri. A far more interesting character then Jadzia ever was. But the problem in that is, not even the writers knew how to handle Jadzia, and they admitted that in several interviews. She went from wise old sage, to resident science geek, to fierce warrior woman, because they couldn't get a clear grasp on her. And in the end, all she really was, was a something like a comic relief, but with sarcasm. Trying to be a smart-ass with witty comments nobody was waiting to her. Which sucked. Since she really did have potential.

Not to mention that half the time I didn't care for Farrell's acting.

WarpTenLizard, Armus and Lous like this.
  20. Ln X

Ln X Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Lol!

Chakotay was neutered whilst at least Ezri was allowed to breathe as a character and got a few memorable on screen moments.

The absolute worst character in DS9 history is Mullibok, that stubborn old Bajoran farmer who refused to leave his home. Ezri couldn't even come close to that level of infuriation and exasperation I felt for that Mullibok fellow. At the very least Ezri never had any serious controversial moments unlike other main characters: Sisko poisoning an inhabited planet's atmosphere, Bashir and Worf deciding to remove Kurn's memory WITHOUT consulting Kurn, Odo betraying everyone and briefly siding with the female changeling, O'Brien's one episode trauma of having to deal with being mentally imprisoned for twenty years, Odo professing his love to Kira (admittedly a changeling) one episode AFTER Vedek Bereil died.

No, at least Ezri never had moments like that...