Dislike of Music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Miss Chicken, Dec 17, 2013.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

LOL, a couple weeks ago I had a dream where I was in a dramatic discussion with some nameless person and trying to get them to see my side of "it" whatever it was.. and in the background of this dream the Duel of Fates was playing. Which I have been laughing about ever since.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzVBqBosf5w[/yt]

As far as soundtrack music goes this piece is one of the loveliest ever..

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfP6o-61e2s[/yt]

Ha! I know what you mean. There's some music from the late 80s and early 90s (some prime examples off the top of my head are the B52s, especially "Love Shack", The Cure, and The Cranberries) that - in a vacuum - I wouldn't mind too much. None of those would be something I'd listen to myself, based on my tastes, but I wouldn't mind it; if I hear it, it'd be just like ok sure, whatever, music is going in the background. But, because my sister listened to them a TON when we were growing up, I got sick of em and now if I hear them again I sort of cringe and think Gha not this! :lol:[/QUOTE]

My sister listened to The Beatles every day through my whole adolescence, to the point where I cannot really hear them any more. She had all the albums and her room was covered in Beatles photos, every single square inch of the walls. I have never voluntarily listened to them because of this :lol:

I pretty much did that myself with The Cure which I listened to until they were PULP. Just really over listened for a long time. I swear I can hear three notes in the background of some noisy shop and I will say "this is The Cure".

I do overplay stuff, I tend to have one song on repeat and listen it to it compulsively for an hour or more. I've always done that and if a song has risen to that point of playability it's in some hall of fame for me.

2. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

Music is life.

3. mari

mari Captain Captain

I majored in Music, so... yeah.

There are songs I don't like, artists/bands/composers I don't care for, and I can't stand Stevie Nicks' voice. Despite my professors' best efforts, I fail to understand much of improvisational jazz. I prefer Russian composers over the German/Austrian ones, and I prefer the music of my father's childhood over pretty much anything else (particularly the Beatles and the Beach Boys).

If someone gets absolutely nothing out of music, and they are not deaf (and deaf people can still appreciate lyrics and a really cranked up bass line!), I have to wonder what's not clicked in their brain. And if someone says they hate music, I assume they have not listened to all the possibilities and found their niche yet. But, obviously, I'm biased.

4. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

My father dislikes music (and just about everything else under the sun really) but personally I rarely leave the house without my iPod.

My tastes may be odd and my collection smallish (15GB, ~2000 songs) but I couldn't do without it for long.

5. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I love music. All kinds of music. I can't imagine not having music in my life.

6. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

I read an article in The Guardian several years ago by a guy whose wife hated music. He wrote at length about life with her and how unsual it was for someone to dislike music. It was only on reading the article that I realised that I too largely dislike music. When people speak about what music means to them, what an important part of their life it is I can't relate to that at all. Don't get me wrong, there are some pieces of music I like, some songs etc but by and large music is a miniscule part of my life and if I never heard it again it wouldn't worry me. Often even the songs I like just sound like noise to me and I'd rather have quiet.

7. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

Music is a big part of my life. My mother's side of the family was very musical, and my mother played piano every day, instilling a love of classical music in me. There's almost always music playing in our house. I like a lot of genres, though one genre which I can't stand is musicals. I love opera, though. With most people it's the other way around.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like opera as well. As long as it's by Philip Glass. Otherwise, :barf: .

9. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

I could never understand how people don't like music. I've know several and it's always seemed so odd to me. Music is such a fundamental part of the human experience.

It's like people who don't like pets.

10. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

It is nice to know that I am not quite alone in my attitude towards music.

It seems that there are a few famous who also didn't like music such as Theodore Roosevelt, Ulysses Grant, Che Guevara, possibly Charles Darwin and it seems that Sigmund Freud absolutely detested it.

11. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

There are some genres I detest but dislike of / indifference toward music as a whole is something I simply cannot imagine.

To each their own, of course. :bolian:

12. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

The only genre I have failed to like is Jazz. It's like anxiety set to musical notes for me.

13. mari

mari Captain Captain

This.

And there must be some historical reason for it, but I can't make myself study it to find out. I am so thankful I went to a school where I could focus on rock and pop instead.

14. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgoPl35n_AY[/yt]

:)

15. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I had a physics teacher in high school who hated music. He said he'd rather listen to a motor running because at least it was doing some work.

But he was a physics teacher.

16. Starscape

Starscape Commodore Fan Art Challenge Winner

I suppose I'd count as being disinterested.

I do like music, but I find just sitting and listening to music boring. So, if I do listen to music it's whilst doing something else and if I'm concentrating on that my brain mostly tunes the music out. And like propita I can have a CD on constant repeat without paying it much attention. :shrug:

17. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I like smooth jazz which tends to have more melody to it. The kind of jazz I don't like is the manic kind that's all over the place.

18. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I read somewhere that listening to music is one of the most complicated things the brain can do. So that might explain why, if you're trying to concentrate on something else, your brain needs to tune it out.

19. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

I can't imagine living without music. It's a big part of my life. I wasn't much interested when I was younger, but at about the age of 18 I became interested in all kinds of music. I'm not big on rap or country, but most other genres I can enjoy.

It's like someone saying they hate movies, all movies

20. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I do love music, but I seldom listen to just music-- i.e. instrumentals, like classical music or movie soundtracks. When I was a young kid, I listened to stuff like Simon & Garfunkel, Donovan, Jesus Christ Superstar, Peter, Paul, and Mary et al endlessly, going over the lyrics in my head. I loved the poetry and the twists and turns of the language, and it was a huge influence on me as a writer. Same with stuff that came along later, like Elton John or Queen. Even when it comes to songs that are pure entertainment, there has to be something about the lyrics that I like-- "Jive Talkin'" wouldn't be the same without "Leavin' me lookin' like a dumbstruck fool."

Plus which, you can't sing along with instrumentals.