La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Harvey, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, BSG. I changed that sentence around a bit and never came back and made that clear.

The flip side is that Trek had ten composers for forty some episodes. BSG had ONE guy for the whole run with a new score every episode. Same for Lost. Kind of amazing.

Anyway: D'OH! Season 2 library music: Playoff on MT Theme. Courage.

2. JimZipCode

JimZipCode Commander Red Shirt

It also puts me in mind of the Justman interview in Bond's book. Two things from that interview. One, Justman said that he liked to be on the floor during the recording, so he could point out a fragment and "put a button on it" to use later. I wonder how many of those variations were at Justman's prompting. And two, Justman went on at some length about what a sweetheart Steiner was. I wonder if Steiner had a natural feel for what TV music editors might need, and recorded some variations that seemed obvious to him.

I don't know what was done in this performance, but the harpsichord is famously kind of harsh and dry. There's a reason we listen to the Well Tempered Clavier mainly on piano, now.

3. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think Richard Gibbs did one or two S1 episodes of BSG. But overall, it definitely is a remarkable achievement. Even later Trek tended to alternate between Dennis McCarthy and another composer, rather than having one person give it a go.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Just finished "Catspaw"/"Friday's Child" (S2D1). I'm so used to hearing these cues tracked generically over everything that I hadn't realized how richly thematic they were. All these melodies that I just thought of as nonspecific tunes are actually leitmotifs for specific people or things. The motif that Fried used in all three second-season scores was his Kirk theme, which I never would've guessed since its minor key makes it sound kind of ominous to me, not like hero music. And "Friday's Child" had a Klingon theme and a Teer theme in addition to the obvious Capellan and Eleen themes, etc. Oh, and the baby's theme was Eleen's theme with a faster, less syncopated rhythm. I never realized the distinction before. You'd think I would've noticed the patterns in the episodes -- what was happening onscreen when a particular motif played -- but again, I was already so used to the cues being used generically that it didn't really occur to me. (So that's two recurring themes that I never realized were Kirk themes, one from Steiner and one from Fried.)

There was a lot of unused material in the "Catspaw" score! Mostly a somewhat harsh version of the Courage fanfare that I'm not surprised they omitted, but also a whole leitmotif for the castle with kind of an Olde-English, Robin Hood movie sound to it. That was replaced in the episode with the "Drugged" cue from later, as I recall (or one of the later cues that used the same "brainwashed crew" motif). Maybe it didn't come off as scary enough. So I can see why the substitutions were made, but it's so cool that this unused material is finally getting heard.

Well, more than that. On TNG it was initially McCarthy and Ron Jones, then McCarthy and Jay Chattaway. On DS9 it tended to cycle between McCarthy, Chattaway, and David Bell (they had to add more composers when they had two shows on at once), and eventually they added Paul Baillargeon to the rotation as well for both DS9 and VGR. Those four continued on to ENT, with Velton Ray Bunch being added to the rotation, and Bell eventually dropping out. And in season 4 of ENT, budget cuts meant that McCarthy no longer worked with an orchestra and instead collaborated with Kevin Kiner on synth scores faking an orchestral sound. There were some TNG composers who were used just once, like Fred Steiner, George Romanis, and Don Davis, and some who did 2-3 each, like John Debney on TNG & DS9, Gregory Smith (conductor of the Remastered main title themes) on DS9, and Brian Tyler and John Frizzell on ENT.

5. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

I have the same issue with the Label X version of "Is There No Truth in Beauty," as that recording was so moving and arguably more melancholy than the TV score. I've watched the episode more times than I can recall, and loved the TV music, but the old CD score holds a special place with me.

On the other hand, I cannot say that about the VS versions of "Charlie X" or "The Doomsday Machine." No re-scored version can matched the original recordings.

6. Christopher

Still, it's nice to have the alternative versions. I wish I had the means to copy my LPs onto digital files so I could have them side-by-side to compare with the CDs.

That is, if I can figure out how to "rip" these things into my computer in the first place. I've only done that a few times, with Windows Media Player, so I don't have a lot of experience at it. And I'm not sure whether it would be better to use WMP, RealPlayer, or that iTunes thing that I've only used once to date (I only downloaded it because I missed a Merlin episode and couldn't watch it anywhere else before the next episode aired).

7. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

Nichelle was recorded on set. The instruments were recorded at the Charlie X session. We got Nichelle's vocal off of the dialogue track of the DME, but that included the laughter of the crowd. It was the only thing we could get. It did allow Mike Matessino to re-mix it though.

Neil

8. Christopher

^Thanks for the answer, but I'm puzzled... wouldn't the on-set audio have included the playback of the prerecorded instrumentals? So wouldn't there have been a bit of a doubling effect if that was mixed together with the instrumental track? Or does it synch up perfectly enough that it isn't noticeable?

9. Indysolo

She didn't perform to any music that we could find. No pre-records turned up. As I said, the music was recorded at the Charlie X session, which obviously was done after the episode was shot.

Neil

10. Christopher

^Oh, I see. So she sang it a capella and then the musicians matched her vocals (and Nimoy's fingerings). That makes sense. Thanks.

11. JimZipCode

JimZipCode Commander Red Shirt

Exact Audio Copy, but you probably need to get CDs to use EAC. The CDs exist – I was able to buy them just a couple years ago. Two or three years.

12. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jim beat me to it: Christopher, go get Exact Audio Copy. I love iTunes, but I had some problems with ripping Star Trek: The Motion Picture. It was my computer that was the problem and not iTunes but EAC reports errors and iTunes does not. So I knew when I wanted to rip 15 CDs I wanted them to be right. Plus EAC will read the track titles right from the CD Text on the CDs.

As for the Label X and Varese re-recordings they are all available on iTunes. Or at least they used to be.

13. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This set is awesome. I am really enjoying hear the variants of the Star Trek Theme, also music in the library that wasn't used on the series. Season 3 sounded much different than season 1 and 2. You can easily pick out season 3 cues.

-Chris

14. Dalen Quaice

Dalen Quaice Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've been wondering about...

(taken from the LALA Land track listing, btw - don't know if it is that way in the booklet as I haven't opened my set yet)

"SEASON 1, DISC 3
    Charlie X
    Music Composed and Conducted by Fred Steiner
    Episode #8, Recorded 8/29/66
    Aired #2, 8/15/66"

Does anything look out of place with the dates?

Charlie X was shot in mid July 1966 - the final script is dated 7/5/66 -- so something seems a bit off with these dates. The episode actually aired 9/15/66... so the question is when was the music really recorded?

15. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Aw man, I got home to a CD-box sized package, but it was just a gift I ordered for a friend. :(

16. Indysolo

Yes, the air date is a typo that was discovered too late in the process. Those responsible have been sacked.

Neil

17. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

18. Christopher

Done with "Amok Time" and "Doomsday Machine." Not many revelations since I know these two so well from the GNP disc, but there were some nice extra bits, and I noticed some details here and there that I never caught before. I wonder, is that just because these are better reproductions, or is it possible that the GNP version used different takes of some of the cues?

I was wondering about the cue that GNP called "Vulcan Fanfare" on its "Amok Time" release, and why I couldn't find it listed anywhere on the season 2 set. Turns out it was the first part of the track called "Log," IIRC.

19. Esteban

Esteban Commander Red Shirt

So many of my questions have been answered. For example, the "Lonely to Dramatic" library cue from Mullendore...first appearance in Miri, a tracked episode. Now I know it was from Library.

Can anyone find the cue used in "Bread and Circuses" during the tag? "Caesar and Christ, they had them both". It sure sounds like Dunning but I can't find the original.

Tks!

20. Indysolo

It's possible they used some different takes. I seem to recall comparing a few Amok Time takes at Lukas's urging.

Neil