AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Another good one this week, though some might be dissapointed by the shortage of gore. The romantic triangle problem shook itself out a lot easier than I was expecting, with no obvious bad guy/girl. Just like real life.
    I found it kind of interesting how everyone seems to have eased into an almost tribal existance so easily, with everyone having their roles. Though sometime soon I suspect theres going to be a power struggle to be dealt with.
    And honestly, I can't see much good in having the wifebeater and the redneck brothers around.

As for Merle, I can probably see the guys point. You've got zombies halfway through the door, and I guess bone cuts a lot quicker than steel. But still... *shudder*

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Whatshisface was an idiot for leaving the car alarm on all the way back to the camp and I was surprised that there wasn't more of an effort to turn it off, even if they had to smash something. Don't those things stop on their own after a while anyway?

Also, the show must have really made an impression on me because I had a dream last night where I was in a world overrun by zombies.

3. USS Avenger

USS Avenger Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I had that same dream after last weeks episode! :lol:

Did anyone else have a Monty Python moment after the beheaded zombie's head was still trying attack? "I'll bite your legs off!"

4. JWD75

JWD75 Commander Red Shirt

I finally got around to watching this show last night and got caught up with the first three episodes. I loved it. I think that it is the best thing on television right now. I'm very tempted to order the comic books that it is based on but I don't want to know what happens next.

5. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

"Tell it to the Frogs" was another damn good episode. I think my favorite part of the episode was watching Merle's breakdown in the teaser.

No, but my first thought was similar to Daryl after the zombie's head was cut off: "Uh, guys, the brain..."

6. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Im so dumb, when I saw what happned to the redneck at first I thought the zombies had completely eaten him & just left his cuffed hand behind. Later during the show I realized he had actually pulled an Aron Ralston. :eek:

7. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

8. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

With some alarms, the car itself shuts off if you don't deactivate them soon enough.

9. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Another good episode, although that car alarm was driving me crazy. That's probably what drew the Zombie up the hill. :crazy:

The wife was pretty harsh with the best friend, accusing him of lying about Rick being dead. Good thing he had the wife beater there to take out his aggression on. I've been thinking that the guy who plays best friend seemed very familiar, and I just realized he's a lot like Paul Michael Glaser.

It's good to see so many of the characters showing integrity in this Apocalyptic situation, even with rednecks and other throwbacks around. It would have been easy to leave such a scumbag to his doom. And that guy was pretty stupid to cut off his own hand when the Zombies couldn't even get through (and obviously gave up and left).

10. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know who he is, but he was on the short-lived Eastwick, that time as the slacker husband dragging his wife and kids down with him.

More people here probably saw him on The Pacific.

11. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Paul Michael Glaser was the actor who played the role of Dave Starsky in Starsky & Hutch. Where were you during the 80s? (and I know it's a 70s TV show).
    ;)

12. PsychoPere

The zombies were probably still trying to get through the door when Merle cut his hand off, and that probably only increased their frenzy to get onto the roof. He wouldn't have had a way of knowing if the chains would hold, after all, so cutting his hand off likely seemed to be his only option at the time. The zombies probably didn't leave until after he did, since they would've been drawn to his blood.

13. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

They likely only gave up and left because Merle did (the door was still padlocked so he must have found another way out of there).

And he had no idea anyone was coming back for him, so better to get it over with sooner than later as he steadily got weaker from exposure and lack of food and water, the effect of which would have most likely added to his desperation.

14. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Some ratings news and TWD went up in viewers and held the current demo...

:techman: why is it only 6 episodes this season :(

15. PsychoPere

The Hollywood Reporter cites sources that say season two of The Walking Dead will likely premiere in October 2011 to again capitalize on increased viewership and promotion during AMC's Fearfest.

16. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was guilt talking. She took Shane's word for it that Rick was dead - it's not like either of them were going to fight their way into Zombie Hospital and make absolutely sure - so it's completely unfair for her to blame Shane for a decision they both made. But she needs to find someone to blame. Not a very nice characteristic, but realistic.

This show is definitely very observant and sharp about human behavior. And of course Shane, having "traditional" views about man-woman relationships, takes the guilt burden on himself. He's Rick's friend, she's his wife - a family member has more responsibility towards Rick than a co-worker and friend, so Shane should be the one bitching at her for leaving Rick behind! If he had more enlightened views, maybe he could have called her on her BS rather than taking it out on Redneck #3 (not that I cared if he got his ass kicked).

AMC was being cautious and considering all the risks they were taking, they were right to be. Zombies are a new topic for TV; horror in general hasn't been notably successful on TV; the gore might drive away viewers; it's unknown whether the AMC audience will go for an outlandish sci fi premise. Sure it's well made, but well made shows don't always do this well.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  17. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

OCTOBER???? Wow! Good luck keeping the audience they've built.

18. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I assume they will repeat the show over the summer and maybe even during midseason. AMC should of figured in the long break and took a bigger risk making the 1st season 10 episodes or air it during Jan-Feb (with the original 6 episodes plan).

19. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

It's not unheard of on AMC. Breaking Bad finished this past season in June, and the next one is scheduled to start airing next July.

20. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

Or on cable in general. Most shows go a full year between season premiers, after airing in short, compact blocks with no breaks. That's just how it works.

Loved "Tell it to the frogs," as well. Pretty low-key compared to the first two (I like the idea of the zed being more of a looming, unseen threat), and really did a good job of showing what people do to cope with surviving—and how they sometimes do a poor job of it, at that. I really wish we were getting more than six episodes this season...

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010