The Walking Dead Season 4

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, May 6, 2013.

1. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Soldiers are trained to hit targets, not just shooting for the torso. Their gun range training should help in a zombie brake out, regardless of if they were trained to hit a target and not specifically the head.

2. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

But like if they're to suddenly explain these things, then it almost becomes like a retcon. Even if it's more accurate, it doesn't make sense why all of a sudden, say gasoline, doesn't work. Then they'd have to explain it and why they were wrong, and frankly I don't think the writers give that much of a shit about it. I think if you want well reasoned science in a cable TV show about zombies, you're not going to get what you want.

And they're not really going to explain the outbreak or how it happened. They're not going to focus on a military group either. These things are not really what the show is about.

3. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

But, complaining about the very set up of the Series is completely different from the direction the Series might go.

Sure, it's totally reasonable to not like a plot arc, or a specific episode or being taken out of a scene by stupidity etc.

I'm saying, if you can't accept the Zombie Apocalypse happened, "end of discussion", and the show writers/runners have specifically said they're not going to explain it, then you're never going to be able to accept it.

Again, complaining, every episode, about how The ZA is impossible to have happened, is the same as complaining transporters and Warp Drive are impossible. Both of those are completely different than being unhappy about Janeway and Paris having Lizard babies or The search for Sophia dragging out too long, or The Governor returning or Gas still functioning 18 months after the ZA began

4. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Two pages back I asked for a plausible scenario in which the ZA could have happened considering our enormous military budget and overwhelming superiority to them technologically.

Someone gave one - most people went AWOL to be with their families when the shit started. Makes sense to me.

I still would be fun if they'd do an episode or webisode on what happened in greater society.

5. Sindatur

Sure, it could be fun (Though, with most Zombie movies, if they do explain the cause and how everything went south, it's generally anti-climactic, and almost ruins the entire movie).

And perhaps, I should have indicated I wasn't speaking specifically to you (I don't pay enough attention to Usernames usually to know all the folks who do "X" all the time) asking about it this one time. But, it is pretty regular for someone to complain about it, just about every episode, so, it was more a blanket comment, and I just happened to use your inquiry this time around to respond to.

Me, I'm satisfied that it went down, by Family members not being able to put their family down when they turn, it took too long to learn about headshots for it to be broadcast, so, it's a learned skill, not, something you automatically know, and then the Military hesitating on Nuking Ground Zero, waiting for approval or whatever, and it got awway from them (Or simply there was an airborne outbreak that hit everywhere at once). Like I said, I totally understand the curiosity, but, some folks take it much further, and complain about it week after week, season after season

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Well, we are getting a spin-off series. Maybe it will explore the larger world more.

Maybe it will explain for some people why batteries still work and where all the satellites went. :rolleyes:

7. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Most of them learned during the time between the loss of the farm and finding the prison, which was several months. It was at least enough time for Lori to go from just figuring out she was pregnant to close to giving birth.

8. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Nevermind that by that point, they knew from experience -- being survivors and all -- that headshots were required to take the zombies down. They were also used to zombies by that point; it was almost routine.

Most real people, on the other hand, are trained to shoot for center mass, and when overcome with horror and confusion, being pro zombie killers isn't really to be expected. Especially when, despite Trek_God_1's erroneous belief otherwise, most military guys are just as incompetent and weak thinkers as anyone from any other walk of life. They just know how to pull a trigger better. Assuming they even had access to a firearm to begin with (and guess what, Trek_God_1: most troops on a military base don't).

9. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Most of them were probably dead before they figured it out. After all, when you shoot something in the chest and it doesn't even slow them down your next thought isn't going to be "maybe if I shot them is a different part of their body" :lol:

10. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

BTW, in WWZ [the Film] they make the claim that the North Koreans to deal with the zombie problem forcibly extracted the entire populations teeth. In TWD Michonne takes the extra step of cutting off their arms. Why bother doing that?

11. sojourner

less appendages to get tangled in things?

12. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

This may actually be the "why else". :p:p:p

And why gas works, of course.

COMING SOON:

"The Walking Dead: Fuel for the Fire"

She wanted to be able to sleep without having them feel her up.

13. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Zombies tend to be less grabby (and rippy and gut-pully) when they have no arms.

14. Conundrum

Conundrum Commodore Commodore

You guys actually cannot stop yourselves from posting spoilers...it's like some strange kind of OCD.

Yes, everyone is impressed you read the comics.

15. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

That didn't sound like a spoiler to me. I thought it was all speculation of what's been seen so far and what may happen.

16. Conundrum

Conundrum Commodore Commodore

Just saying it's not a spoiler because there are differences is a lame copout. You know damned well they are spoilers.

It would certainly be nice if the mods actually enforced spoiler rules...unless they just want open the thread for full comic spoilers.

Or maybe they should just do two threads like Game of Throwns and then enforce spoiler rules...including lame "wink wink nudge nudge" spoilers".

17. sojourner

I read in the comics that that guy will do that thing and someone else does something.

18. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

GAAAH!! Don't give that away!

19. Sindatur

JESUS CHRIST...At least have the decency to pretend it's speculation :scream:

:guffaw:

20. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

"Sort of" is not hard confirmation. A guess is a guess. I have no access to future WD scripts, and we both knew the series has moved away from comic plots on numerous occasions (ex. Lori and Judith's deaths, Shane lasting longer on TV, Dale's death, etc.).

That said, the speculation points were just that--somewhat based on a suspicion from the comics, but that--as far as i'm concerned--is only a "sort of" spoiler IF my guess becomes a reality in the final 3 episodes of the season.