Stargate to receive movie reboot, trilogy planned

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Dream, Sep 6, 2013.

1. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

I'm attached to the lore and the characters, not the brand name. I couldn't care less about the health of the franchise if all it offers up is a reboot.

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Given that all the costumes, props and set pieces have been sold at auctions, revisiting Stargate would essentially mean rebuilding from scratch. Sure that doesn't require them to reboot, but it could be a convincing enough argument to reboot all the same.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Again, I've got nothing against reboots in principle. But if I were an MGM executive, I'd look at how much money Wright & Cooper's version of Stargate had made my company vs. how much money Devlin & Emmerich's version had made my company, so if I wanted someone to start up the franchise again, I'd call Wright first.

4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I would tell that executive how stupid that way of thinking is.
    Comparing the money gained by 20 TV show seasons and 2 TV films to the money gained by 1 feature film.

5. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, comparing it to Star Trek, I despise the star trek reboot. I also consider the reboot's existence more harmful to the franchise than if the franchise had just stayed dead, because now we'll almost certainly not get a real movie/series and instead get just this watered down action junk with the ST name for the forseeable future. Staying dead is a better alternative than a bunch of junk being released under a franchise's name. Because of that, I definately don't support a Stargate reboot, especially not in movie form and completely unrelated to SG-1. Best case scenario, its an good movie. Worst case, its terrible but sells well (like Transformers and JJTrek) and we get a continuing series of horrible stuff. What would actually happen if it gets made is probably somewhere in the middle of those two scenarios, but after star trek I can't support a reboot of anything, especially not of a sci fi series I really enjoy.

6. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Looking at the ratings, which steadily declined during the last five years or so Wright was in charge of the franchise, I don't know if he'd be a prime candidate for the job. I mean, Rick Berman made Paramount a lot of money running Star Trek for 18 years, but the studio isn't going to put him in charge of the franchise now, either, because it also suffered from diminishing returns by the end of his tenure.

7. Christopher

^But I was speaking of a choice between Wright and Emmerich, not Wright and someone new.

8. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I might have the cast of the original movie, meet the cast of the series--an alternate universe type deal, with the explanation that one team's meambers had the same names, but not the same genetic code. Someone was trying to fix a timeline. If one party found the other dead, it might make for an awkward moment.

I always had this fantasy of a Jurrasic Park for actors. Vincent Price's clone would only be allowed to be adopted by persons in a certain place, and the clone reared well away from distractions.

So you have nice dead ringers adopted by movie fans, but it all becomes rather dark at the last.

That might work between the two casts of the Stargate film and series in some manner--were I to helm the picture...

9. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

SG1 was the highest rated show on Sci-Fi until Atlantis started up and season eight of SG1 was their highest rated season on Sci-Fi. Wright and Cooper left Atlantis for two seasons to develop Stargate Universe and it was Cooper who left during season two of Universe.

10. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

All information I am aware of, and nothing that contradicts my point.

11. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

The years that you're talking about '05-'10 wasn't a period of steadly declining ratings, the huge drop in the ratings came when Sci-Fi moved Universe from Friday night to Tuesday night, otherwise the ratings were fairly constant though those years.

12. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

SG-1 had a recognizable ratings drop in season 10; Atlantis experienced declining viewership beginning at the same time (season 3). Universe had a big premiere and then shed viewers just about every week -- before it was moved in season two.

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

That would have been in 2006, in which all three of Sci-Fi's flagship shows (SG-1, SGA, BSG) saw a decline in ratings. Which likely had something to do with Sci-Fi messing around with its successful Friday night line up.

14. Snick27

Snick27 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Don't forget around this time Comcast moved Syfy Channel to a higher tier so lots of people didn't get the station anymore.

15. poundpuppy29

poundpuppy29 Commander Red Shirt

this is my opinion about the rumored Stargate reboot this is how I feel sorry if it offends

Stargate is not Star Trek nor is it Star Wars it’s not known in the mainstream pop culture for many decades like ST & SW are so there is not this big built in audience like those 2 have and if they would reboot it like ST it would alienate the very small built in audience it has.

The original Stargate movie did not build the fan-base or franchise the series’s did and I am sorry Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich are not Gene Roddenberry or George Lucas they did not have the vision Brad Wright and Jonathan Glassner did they saw more than Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich ever could have dreamed of when they thought the Stargate went all over the galaxay and universe DD & RE could only see it as going between 2 planets they were short sighted sorry this really aggravates me I don’t think if either one of those guys gets their way it would bring back the SG franchise like some people seem to think it could

I think it would be a major flop and kill the SG franchise for good because MGM wouldn’t spend anymore money for it and SG is my favorite scifi space oprea franchise I enjoy both ST & SW I love them both equally (I really don’t understand why there is animosity between those fandoms I have met a few people in RL who are it’s one or the other it really baffles me why that people argue which is better it’s scifi space opera entertainment that’s good enough to me) but I miss SG I really don’t want it to be killed off for good.

16. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

As a franchise, Stargate is dead. All three television series were cancelled; the last series, Stargate Universe, had ratings so low it ended after just two seasons (on a cliffhanger, no less). The straight-to-DVD market dried up just as the franchise began to enter it, resulting in all further proposed DVD movies being cancelled.

Personally, I think Stargate slowly fell to pieces after the end of SG-1 season 8/SG-A season 1, but even if you like what happened after that point, you have to realize that the franchise probably won't be continued in that iteration going forward.

17. Christopher

That's not entirely true, since it still has an ongoing novel line from Fandemonium Books. Actually it's been six months since the last new one came out, but apparently there are several more unscheduled ones being planned and the publisher's website still says it's accepting queries.

18. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Woah woah, relax. ;) Have a couple of interpunctions: .....,,,,,;;;;;!!!!!!

I'd still agree with the sentiment that it's dead. You know how tiny the audience for tie in novels is.

19. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

There's also the game. The franchise isn't dead but it's on life-support at the moment.

20. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Also Big Finish has released Stargate Audios, the latest one was released in December 2012