Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

^ Nice one :)

2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

It's funny how these things work out. This week, I had a huge stack of comics to pick up, and I haven't even had a chance to read them all yet. Next week, just one-- Fantastic Four.

Previews for next week--

Age of Apocalypse #11
    Avengers Arena #3
    Cable and X-Force #3
    Fantastic Four #3
    First X-Men #5
    Marvel Universe Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes #10
    Marvel Universe Vs. Avengers #4
    Punisher: Nightmare #2
    Punisher War Zone #3
    Scarlet Spider #13
    Secret Avengers #36
    Secret Service #5
    Superior Spider-Man #1
    Thunderbolts #3
    Thor: God of Thunder #4
    Ultimate Comics X-Men #21
    Wolverine and the X-Men #23
    X-Men Legacy #4

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

New Avengers #1 was extremely underwhelming. It basically felt like the exact same thing as Avengers #1 only starring only the Black Panther...

4. Admiral_Young

"Avengers" and "New Avengers" are interconnected and a companion series (similar to how Hickman used Fantastic Four and FF). I am guessing the visitors are somehow connected to Hickman's attempt at bringing back the New Universe. I loved it. Also I would take a Hickman written Black Panther series in a second. I'm officially dropping "All New X-Men". Just don't like it. The Stuart Immonen art is the best thing about the book.

Next week's pulls:

-Cable and X-Force #3
    -Scarlett Spider-Man #13
    -Superior Spider-Man #1
    -Thunderbolts #3
    -Thor: God of Thunder #4 (This one is starting to lose my interest)
    -Ultimate Comics X-Men #21
    -Wolverine and the X-Men #23

5. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

This past week I got Red She-Hulk #61 and Punisher: Nightmare #1

She-Hulk isn't overly wowing me, it's decent, but I'm going to see where this arc ends up.
    Punisher Nightmare was really good. The Texeria art always is pleasing for the character. A book that took more than 5 min to read for once, loaded with backstory for the second main character. As a huge fan of Punisher it was fun to once again see the classic white gloves/white boots version of the character. He's also portrayed here as a thinker, tactician and boogeyman that I enjoyed so much with Rucka's run.
    The story does feel like a rehash of what Rucka did with Rachel Cole-Alves except this time the parallels are much more a mirror or the Punisher's origin. Be curious to see how/if it diverges from Frank and Rachel.

Interesting that #2 comes out next week, back to back for Nightmare and with War Zone #3. Thunderbolts #3(not impressed with though so far) with Frank also, lots of Punisher love next week.

6. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Superior Spider-Man #1.

I didn't know Marvel Comics published one-and-dones any more. And yet, that's what Dan Slott delivered here -- a story that finishes in a single issue. The Sinister Six are making some noise. Spider-Ock has to defeat them, and he goes about it in a very un-Peter Parker-like way.

Slott also explores some of the larger issues raised by "Dying Wish," particularly how different Otto Octavius is from Peter Parker psychologically, and I suspect that if Otto continues to act the way he does here that the people who have known Peter are going to suspect that there's something very wrong.

The final page wasn't unexpected. That was one of the obvious "outs" to the mind-swap -- that there's more of Peter than just his memories inside Spider-Ock's head -- and it suggests that we'll be entering phildickian mindfuck territory as we go forward in Superior. It also makes clear that this isn't a permanent status quo change since the gun is plainly on the mantelpiece; the only question is when we reach Chekhov's third act.

All in all, I liked it.

7. Admiral_Young

Incidentally we were teased with a "Fired" teaser yesterday for April with the Avengers shown in the background. I believe that perhaps people will start figuring out that Peter isn't exactly quite right sooner than even I thought.

Also Avenging Spider-Man 15.1 already established the "out", Superior Spider-Man #1 just reinforces it.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  8. Allyn Gibson

I wonder if that's Slott's solution to the sexual consent issues raised by the situation. He's been telling people to read SSM #2 because the answer's there, and I'm starting to think that MJ tells "Peter" to take a hike because (from her perspective) he's gone mental.

I think Avenging only hinted at it. SSM #1 makes it explicit with the final page reveal.

9. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

I think all the people who have threatened to kill or physically harm Dan Slott owe the man an apology.

SSM is probably not Otto at all, but really just a Peter Parker who thinks he is.

10. Admiral_Young

That's a theory that I've heard too...nothing seems to really satisfy the "haters" towards this story arc though.

11. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well yeah obviously it's a "Peter that thinks he's Otto" buuuut... one must remember FF#1 (or was it FF#2) shortly after Peter joins the Future Foundation and they're discussing Dr. Doom's memory issues - he makes a comment about "is it a data issue or is there brain damage." So really what Otto did was upload a lot of his "data" into Peter's head and then did the same in reverse. But... since the "hardware" didn't really change, but more the 'software' - it may take a while but it'll depend what starts to take dominance.

12. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

^And of course Norman Osborn will figure out the change first and reverse it because it is his destiny to destroy Peter Parker not Ottos.

13. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Sigh, this is all giving me the sense that this is another go at pleasing the Spider-Man "fans" who think Peter Parker always has to be miserable and anytime things go right for the guy it must be snuffed out quickly by having Parker comeback to find Otto royally screwed up his life.

14. Turtletrekker

^The old Parker luck.

15. Turtletrekker

Matt Fraction's Hawkeye, which has been magnificent, has been mostly done-in-ones with one two-parter. The first arc of Keiron Gillen's Iron Man was composed of done-in-one issues. It's a trend I approve of. :)

16. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or he'll swap bodies with Norman and prove that only he could destory a Goblin Spider!

They're calling, we're calling this amalgamation "Spock" as in Spider-Ock.

That's weird.

I first noticed this this morning when trolls where hyping about Spock checking out MJs boobs.

I wondered if there was a new movie with Quinto and Emma Stone I hadn't seen yet?

17. Guy Gardener

Convention has taught me that beautiful women, Models, etc, usually date assholes.

18. Allyn Gibson

While I've always taken MJ as a quiet "girl next door" type who just happens to be a model/actress, she's been written as kinky in the past. So it's not totally unthinkable that she'd accept a rougher "Peter."

19. Guy Gardener

So I'm reading Thunderbolts and they say Red Leader, and I'm thinking Star Wars.

20. Admiral_Young

The ending of Thunderbolts #3 was awesome. Wade's reaction was hilarious. This book is going to be more interesting than I thought. I'll be dropping Cable and X-Force.