The Walking Dead Season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gotham Central, Jul 14, 2012.

1. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:rommie:

Congratulations. You really showed me. Well done. :techman:

2. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From the outside, more modern prisons actually look quite a bit like college campuses. For example, here's a pic of one of New York's newest max. security prisons. While it's not a close up, you can see it doesn't have the "fortified" look we associate with most movie prisons.

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Yep, we could have saved a bunch of posts if you had just copped to your "um" being nonsensical. :lol:

4. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

You know, I really like this idea. A super serum meant to cure all the ills, speed healing and make humanity better. Now look what it did, brought us down and dead.

5. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

6. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^ That reminds me about how they explained the Reavers in Serenity. They introduced such-and-such into the water or atmosphere (or whatever, can't remember exactly) to make the population more docile and less prone to violence, but it backfired and people stopped doing anything and eventually died of starvation or whatever. The rest of the population had the opposite effect and became the violent, cannabalistic Reavers.

Moral of the story, don't help humanity be better. It only makes it worse. :D

7. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

Is Herschel different from other people? And, if so, how is he different? He died and didn't turn into a zombie. He was able to be revived.

I am confused by what happened to Tiny Tim. I am not sure what I saw. I saw something attack him, Was it a hand, or was it a head? He is diagnosed as being bitten, so it would have to be a head. Yet, it didn't look like a head. Like I said, it's not clear to me what happen.

If computers don't work, if freezers don't work, then this implies that the electric grid is out. How does the group get water in the prison? Our water system is powered by electricity.

8. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Zombie wiki has the Solanum explanation specifically related to decomposition.

Solanum

9. DarthTom

Water towers use gravity to produce water pressure. But if they were empty, yes they'd be shit out of luck.

10. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Then how does this explain Michonne having her two pets to keep the other zombies away? I thought they were basically covering her scent.

As for the episode...

Fantastic! From the prisoners' ignorance, to their rioting attack, to our guys' "didn't we just tell them...," to Rick settling things with their alpha, just great. I did feel a bit bad for the two left, but that's what happens.

I believe Tiny got majorly scratched by the arm bone of the zombie behind him after said zombie broke off his own hand to get rid of the handcuff. Better at the start than later. And I agree, the younger kid was a follower who freaked when his alpha got killed so quickly and gruesomely in front of him.

So now our group has a "safe" place, some food, a bit of medical supplies, and still haven't hit the armory. They could set themselves up okay.

I think I'd leave a few zombies in the outer yard for protection, removing the bodies to not give things away. Most passing humans would not think that the prison was safe if they see zombies wandering outside it.

11. DarthTom

An unknown someone however is watching Carol as she was practicing doing a c-section on that Zombie corpse. So I think there is more drama to come in their stay at the prison with outsiders.

12. Stiletto

Stiletto Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe he wasn't brain dead. Sure, he was out for a short while, but the brain should be able to work for a short without oxygen. Didn't Jenner, at the CDC say that the brain stem turns back on after an undetermined while after death?

13. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Yeah, he wasn't dead long enough to turn, if he was even really dead at all. Although that was a startling moment. I'm glad he's still alive.

That certainly wasn't what I was expecting from all the talk of the prison from the comics. Did they jettison a lot of it, or is there a twist coming?

Anyway, this was much better than last week. Daryl makes a much better right-hand man for Rick than Shane. But it looks like Rick and Lori are finished.

And Carol, wanting to practice her c-section skills on a zombie-- very practical woman. :rommie:

14. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

was anyone else surprised by Rick telling the prisoners that 50% of the population had died? I was thinking it was more along the lines of 90%

is he right? is he in denial? or was he trying to sugar coat it?

15. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    I think that was Darryl's brother Merle.

16. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Basically this was pretty much straight out of the comics. A few details are different since the character load-out isn't quite the same. For one thing Andrea was never separated and arrived at the prison with everyone else--as did Dale, Patricia & Sofia. Michonne just showed up at the gates with her two "companions" and asked to be let in. Indeed from the previews it looks like if anything they're abbreviating Michonne's story.

As far as the prisoners go, no, nothing was really cut short as far as this episode's story goes. Unless you count that guy you just legged it. If memory serves you never saw him die, he just ran out the front gate and was never seen again. Oh and I think the alpha-male nut-job with the death wish was his "shower buddy", which makes his reaction a little bit more understandable.

There may or may not be something to do with them later on down the line that's been jettisoned as there's one prisoner in particular who wasn't present here but in the comics had something of a significant impact. I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll just say for those in the know that I'm referring to the one in jail for "tax evasion." Having said that, they could have shifted that plot to a different character.

17. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

OK folks, time for biology 101. Just because you stop breathing does not mean that you are dead. You are not officially dead until the brain officially checks out. You can be revived if the heart stops if it is within a reasonable amount of time.

If you recall back in Season 1 at the CDC, Jenner explains how the process works. The initial infection from the bite will kill you. You are not officially dead until all neural activity ceases. He shows this on the computer. Once the brain has stopped functioning, it takes a little while for the "virus" to restart some sort of minimal neural activity.

As long as the brain is functional, the reanimation process will not activate.

18. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah the prison cannot help but be different because the group dynamic was very different in the comics. There are ALOT more survivors in the Comics. Additionally, they were not forced to flee the farm in the comics. Hershel asked them to leave so they left (except for Glenn who actually stayed behind with Maggie). Plus I think that there were more surviving prisoners and they stick around a little longer.

The biggest difference between the comics and the TV show is that Rick was not as hardcore in the comics because the group had suffered fewer deep losses at this point. Plus Rick was not forced to put down Shane (Carl killed a perfectly healthy Shane). Rick and Lori were also in a better place since Shane never got the opportunity to become a serious problem.

19. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

It was a hand. He ended up with a pretty bad scratch.

There's a river a short distance from the prison.

Other than some missing characters in the survivors' group, these first two episodes aren't too far off from early comic events at the prison. It's too early to say if anything will be jettisoned, because the group was at the prison for around thirty-six issues.

Or it was a scout from Woodbury.

20. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually it was a wrist. Sort of.