Star Trek: Renegades

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Danlav05, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

I can understand the mixed feelings on the uniforms, that may have needed a little more development. Everything else has been spot on. I think you guys will love what is being shot vs. some set pictures you have seen. Many times I was sitting behind Tim viewing the directors monitor and the scenes looked incredible.

Here is a funny behind the scenes video with Bruce Young who plays Borrada, what is cool about this is that you can see how some of the scenes look as shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vp-fvqkTsw&feature=youtu.be

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Interesting video. Again the makeup looks great.

3. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Fascinating. The makeup is definitely a cut above what we've seen on non-TV/movie productions thus far.

I'm struggling with how to characterize Renegades, Phase II et al because "fan film" and "amateur film" just don't cut it anymore. These are much more than "fan films" and definitely not amateur. Niggling problems like the uniforms aside, these are semi-professional (professional?) (indie?) -quality productions.

4. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

They're still fan films because they're made by fans and it shows (I'm looking at you, scripts).

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

This and OGaM are like glimpses into an alternate universe where SyFy got the rights to make Star Trek movies.

6. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

Given the quality of most such projects on SyFy, I'd avoid those comparisons.

And I'd hate to think that the quality of writing makes these productions fan films. After watching DRAGON WASPS on SyFy only last week, there are several fan films which stand above that level of original production.

To me, if 50% of the folks are paid professionals, then it's not a fan film, no matter how good or bad it is.

7. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

My definition of fan film is simple: it's a film made without copyright authorization or a film made in tribute to a film or franchise. For example, J.J.Abrams's two "Star Trek" movies are "Star Wars" fan films. I could give many details, but to give just one example, the level on which the cities were based on Star Wars cities boggled my mind. Yes, it was made by professionals. It had pro actors and CGI people who were paid. It had a ginormous budget. Heck, it even pretended to be part of another franchise. But for me, it was a big budget Star Wars fan film. The Clone Wars Strike Back!

8. PattyW

PattyW Commander Red Shirt

forget proper fitting....I'd settle for properly sewn. Even Wal-Mart would throw away stuff with seams puckered and mis-sewn. And, yeah, badly fitted uniforms will take everyone out of the "professional" claim of any production. Great acting just can't overcome bad costuming. What a shame....

9. Smoked Salmon

Smoked Salmon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This usn't just a fan film though is it? It's meant to be a backdoor pilot, just made through kickstarter rather than a studio.

I have to agree with some of the others. The uniforms are awful, as are the Starfleet sets. In contrast the make up efforts look skilled and impressive.

I do appreciate that it's difficult on a tight budget, but frankly some of the other fan efforts have done a lot better with their own designs. If this is meant to show something that they think can make a show work then really it needs to look passable in all aspects.

Having said that, let's face it that Russ & Co are deluding themselves somewhat if they think this will ever become a series. If CBS doesn't want to revisit the prime universe at present, then they certainly aren't going to be up for a show full of aging Voyager actors.

10. Professor Moriarty

For all we know, those glimpses we saw of plain-looking sets may just be the beginning. I would be willing to bet that after lighting and CGI effects are applied they may look quite different. Why don't we step back a second and let's see what develops, hm?

11. Smoked Salmon

Are they going to CG entirely new uniforms?:D

12. PattyW

PattyW Commander Red Shirt

TIGHT BUDGET?! :wtf: Do you have ANY idea what any of the fanfilms could do with the $250,000 that Renegades collected? Every other fanfilm is doing it for far less than $10,000 an episode and every other fanfilms costumes are 500% better than Renegades. Okay, maybe the purchased turtlenecks of PP rival Renegades.... but they don't have 250K either.

13. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I've told you a million times not to exaggerate. ;)

14. Smoked Salmon

Well, I'm not an expert on fan film budgets. But, if anything, you're reinforcing what I'm saying. :)

15. Professor Moriarty

Touche!

16. Freman

Freman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Okay from what I saw on that video, this show is going to be waaaaaaay better than OGaM. Waaaaay better. Can't wait to see it.

Just need to save up some money so I can contribute and get a DVD when it's finished.

Oh, and a question. I asked this over on the facebook page, but nobody involved with the production answered. What year is this film set in? Before or after Romulus is destroyed (which is in the year 2387, I believe)?

17. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

I believe we were hovering in the 2386 timeline or so.

18. Loken

Loken Lieutenant Commander

Yes, I can tell you that Renegades will be much better than OGAM. It looks fantastic. Yes, the uniforms are the weakest part of an otherwise fantastic production.

I think Renegades will set the bar.

Alec

19. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Well you should know first hand ;)

20. Loken

Loken Lieutenant Commander

HA HA Well, yes I got to see first hand (BTW, missed you the last week Tom).

Sadly, fan films are still all trying to top World Enough and Time. It remains the migh mark of fan films. OGAM didn't, STC certainly didn't. But Renegades has that potential. And in fact, with its budget and cast and crew, it really isn't a fan film. It really is a professionally done independent Star Trek.

Alec