Mulgrew so awful to Jeri Ryan she had to date Braga for protection

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Khan Harrison, Jul 8, 2013.

1. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

[​IMG]
    A much more natural smile. Maybe Jeri Ryan would've been happier on TNG.

Found another promotional photo. WHAT IN Q'S NAME DID I HAVE TO DO TO MAKE THIS A REALITY SPIN-OFF

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ewoodcourt likes this.
  2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, let's interpret smiles on photographs to make wild speculations! It's like high school in here.

3. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

^ All in good fun sir.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why is Jeri holding her stomach? Does she have to take a dump?

These are awful photos. Subtext = 0.

5. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    They seem to have fun together. [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZaTCEC_rd0[/yt]

6. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
  7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's a very thoughtful pic Gov Kodos. As in, it gave me thoughts.

8. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

I like both actresses very much and have heard them say nice things about one another in various interviews. However, I couldn't imagine that in this kind of situation that there WOULDN'T be tension on the set.

If I was the "star", for lack of a better word, of a show for three years and then suddenly, after a few seasons, they brought in someone young and sexy to boost ratings and made her a big focus, I would probably be upset too.

I am not defending anyone or saying that either was right or wrong, but to be honest...who wouldn't be upset in that circumstance?

On the same note, Jeri Ryan probably had her nerves jumbled just knowing that her joining the cast would cause tension. Like she said, being the new kid is never fun. People are used to one thing and when it gets changed, it causes tensions. Part of Jeri's "sickness" the night before scenes might have been also from her own consciousness...knowing what her role was and what Kate's role was. Kind of like paranoia possibly.

However, even if every single thing she said was completely true...was this really necessary to bring up years later? To me it's almost like throwing someone under a bus 10+ years later for no real reason. Kate admitted in an interview I watched that she felt a little bit hurt and other feelings when they brought Jeri Ryan on without directly saying anything negative or harsh about her. She often complimented Jeri's acting ability as well and constantly spoke about how she should not just be viewed as the hot borg, but as a great actress. So I think Jeri saying these things was slightly more hurtful than the things Kate has said. I am just going by various interviews since obviously we weren't there, on the set.

That said, no one knows what happened on the set except them, so we shall never really know.

This kind of thing reminds me of when I was a hardcore Laverne and Shirley fan and found out that there was tons of tension on the set and fighting between Penny Marshall and Cindy Williams, the two main stars. But even through all of that, they always constantly spoke about how they had the utmost respect for one another at all times. And now years later, they are pretty good friends. It seems like the same thing is not true of Jeri and Kate, but you never know.

Time heals old grievances usually, but for her to STILL be talking about it years later when she knows Kate could possibly read it and be hurt by it, obviously they haven't settled their differences in the same way as Penny/Cindy did.

And to add to that...Democrat vs. Republican. :lol:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  9. Khan Harrison

Khan Harrison Ensign

Usually. Cuz Takei is still nursing a healthy wounded ego :p

10. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can understand Kate's feelings and ill-will about being upstaged by a young sexy newcomer. That's normal.

But that's when professionalism comes into play, in any line of work.

I could understand if, for example, Garrett acted up in such a poor fashion. But Kate is the experienced veteran performer, the "leader" of the cast and show. I'd expect her to set a better example and behave more professionally.

Plus, so many scenes and eps with Seven were directly about her interactions with Janeway. More scenes for Jeri usually meant more scenes for Kate, so what's the big deal?

11. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Actors and actresses are people too and sometimes things are taken personally. It happens even in office jobs. It happens at my own work and we aren't in front of millions of viewers.

Yes, everyone should be professional.

But sometimes things just hurt and you can't really hide it.

Having seen Kate's personality through interviews, I highly doubt Kate was causing a ruckus and yelling at Jeri Ryan...I don't think it was that level of unprofessional. It was probably just a general animosity and also having to go to the set day after day with the hurtful feeling that she might not be "good enough" or something, compared to Jeri. Which I don't think is true at all, but in general many actresses are insecure.

Being upstaged is never a good feeling for anyone, actress or not.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  12. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I've always disliked Kate Mulgrew - just her voice, her persona, her look, her acting. Nothing based on character or behaviour, but now I feel somewhat justified...

;)

13. Athena28

Athena28 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I listened to it the other day & it was the first time I could remember JR "kind of" saying something...

14. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

I am not particularly a big fan of Mulgrew, Beltran or Ryan. I draw a line between the actor and the character. I love Voyager's characters, not so much the actors.

That being said, the situation that placed Ryan in the series in season three, had to be at the very least awkward. That situation has always reminded me of the movie, "All About Eve." You only have Ryan's word that she was treated badly, and Mulgrew's silence. I do know if I was hired to be the star of a television series and then had someone added in the middle to "save" the show, I'd be pretty pissed too. Then soon that "new star" latches on to one of the producers, I'd be suspicious as hell and would hold that person at a definite arm's length at the very least.

15. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Good Post. I think there is valid reasons on both sides for the tensions. When Ryan was brought on board, they had fired Kes to do it, and many of the cast members liked Lein, and may have actually been friends with her. Maybe Mulgrew felt not only upset Lein was let go, but also that she could easily be next and some of that tension came out, unintentionally. I remember while Voyager was still in first run during seasons 4-7 seeing at other boards where people were actually wanting Janeway killed off. Maybe Mulgrew was fearful of that happening. I mean, they did kill her off at least twice, in a way.

Not saying if what Ryan says is true was very professional of Mulgrew, but I can understand it.

Also, from Mulgrew's perspective, here we have a young woman coming in all of a sudden getting top billing, and more screen time than other cast members than have been there from the beginning. We don't know how Ryan treated them, either, and you have to admit that as she started to date Braga, she "mysteriously" got more screen time.

16. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

It's funny because most of us only know the characters the actors play. I personally know none of the actors and would certainly not prejudice any opinion I might have of them as individuals, in the unlikely event we ever meet, from gossip. Obviously you have met some or all of them and can make this comparison.

17. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Don't forget that Jennifer Lien had just been booted off the show to make room for her too. I'd imagine that didn't help any of the existing cast's feelings. Did GW know he almost went too?

Whatever truth/extent this went to, it could have just been the first few months/year, unfortunately the incidents tend to stick in the mind, especially after a fair bit of time has passed.

18. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Mulgrew has said that she "has great loyalty to her original crew," which could mean that she was angry about Lien's dismissal. In any case, I'd love to hear her perspective on the alleged feud with Jeri Ryan. Was it all it's cracked up to be?

--Sran

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

It's the Gates McFadden thing all over again, but they brought Crusher back after her missing season. Jennifer Lien getting fired probably destroyed moral for the actors on the set though.

Mulgrew had no reason to complain. As captain, she always remained the lead character on the show.

20. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

And how is it Ryan's fault that Lien was dropped? It's not as though she had a choice in who she would replace, and as Kes' character had a limited lifespan anyway, it's not as though she'd have been useful to the franchise for the entire series. Had she not fled after "Fury," it's likely she'd have died aboard Voyager before the series ended.

Maybe. I'm reaching, but I wonder if part of her concern came about due to how Sisko's character evolved. Granted, he wasn't killed off, but his character was taken out of the mix until it was brought back in the DS9 novels. Did Mulgrew think Brooks' character arc would make Janeway expendable and therefore unavailable if the series were to progress to films? It's hard to know, but she clearly had reservations about her character's popularity being dwarfed by Ryan.

--Sran