TOS Communicator in 3D

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by MGagen, Nov 24, 2013.

1. MGagen

MGagen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just a little something I've wanted to do for a while.

Thanks to the groundbreaking research made freely available by the fine folks at HeroComm.com I have everything I need to make an accurate, virtual Communicator.

I will note that I am making a "real" Comm, whereas the information at HeroComm is dedicated to a warts-and-all documentation of the actual props. As such, I will be making certain judgements as to what the a "real" Communicator would be. Slight deviations from the Alpha blueprints are deliberate. YMMV.

Here are some WIP pix:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If this goes well, the TOS Phaser will be the next project. That will take a bit more work as there is, unfortunately, no "HeroPhaser.com" project. I will have to rely on my own research for that when the time comes.

Thanks for reading, and a GREAT BIG THANK YOU to the HeroComm.com guys!

M.

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks good :)

3. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

This should prove to be very interesting. Looking forward to your final results.

4. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

Very nice start. As someone who owns several replicas, it will be interesting to see your take on the classic. Looking forward to seeing more..

Q2

5. MGagen

Thanks, guys.

Progress, slowly but surely.

Virtual moiré, rhinestones, racing hubs and speaker grille. As always, HeroComm is a fountain of precise data.

M.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. surak-toc

surak-toc Commander Red Shirt

wow oh wow, this is absolutely freaking awesome.

7. astarguy1

astarguy1 Ensign Newbie

way cool what program are u using for your rendering?

8. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Very nice - the level of detail is impressive. This looks much better than the real comms ever did :bolian:.

9. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

MGagen, do you plan on texturing the main body? All version I've seen, even the "hero props" have a subtle engrained pattern in the black plastic body. Nice work, can't wait to see more!

Q2

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  10. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

nicely done :techman:

11. MGagen

Thanks, everybody.

I am using Strata Design 3D (www.strata.com).

Yes, I intend to add the "hair cell" texture to the Comm shell in a future stage. Strata recently upgraded their UV mapping tools and I look forward to giving them a workout...

Keep watching this space for future developments.

M.

12. MGagen

Here's my first attempt at the Kydex shell texture; rendered with more natural "outdoor" lighting.

M.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Ensign Ro-

Ensign Ro- Commander Red Shirt

That is an incredible model. I agree with Ptrope...better than anything produced to date. Outstanding work.

14. MGagen

Thanks!

15. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow - very nice detailing. Keep up the good work!

16. astarguy

astarguy Ensign Red Shirt

yes it is very nice and as been said before better that the original. but that is what 50 years of technology will do for you. love it please do more item if so inspired!!!!!

17. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

What might be interesting is if that metal rim were actually the edge of a flat plate that could slide out--looking like an iphone.

18. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

The originals are actually based on a slide top pencil case (http://herocomm.com/Details/BuckOrigins.htm), and that sort of rim was just a means of attaching two plastic pieces together.

So it's unlikely anything was intended to slide out, and there's no visual evidence to support the notion, but hey, if it works for you, that's cool.

19. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Definitely not to tell anyone how to design their models, because so far, this one is outstanding - you mentioned wanting to make this a 'real' communicator, not just a prop.

When I designed my updated communicator, the 'TriComm,' I also wanted to add a bit of realism to it, without significantly altering the look of it (within certain limits, of course, since I was also trying to make it more of a future smartphone, with a touchscreen and all), but thing that I actually thought was the key to making it more realistic was as simple as cutting the back of the case to provide a removable panel to access the battery and other innards. I also wasn't happy with the way the hinges stuck out of the back, so I added a couple of small 'feet' in line with them - not that noticeable if it were a real model, but the sort of thing that one might actually find in the design of a real piece of hardware meant to see service day in and day out.

YMMV, of course - just a couple thoughts to maybe trigger additional ideas ;). Regardless, it looks great even now, and I'm looking forward to the finished model.

20. MGagen

Now that the Christmas rush is over, it's time for an update.

The grid was, for me, the trickiest part. The regular hole pattern is not all that easy to model in an SDS modeling program.
    Getting the regular pattern, and keeping the smooth bends proved too much for my abilities. In the end, I settled for modeling
    the grid as a solid and making the holes with a stencil texture. The result is pretty much the same in everything but extreme closeup.

I have my eye on a wonderful NURBS-based solid modeler with a more CAD-like set of tools called MoI (Moment of Inspiration).
    It is only a month or so away from a major upgrade, so I'm cooling my jets until then. Doing the grid with physical holes would
    be a breeze in MoI, so I'll likely revisit this element at a later date.

In the mean time, here's what I've come up with.

M.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]