Robotech

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

3. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow I thought it fell into dev hell and wouldn't be heard from again.

It will be interesting to see just *WHAT* they actually have the rights to use on-screen. There's been decades of legal fights which I thought resulted in Harmony Gold retaining the right to market and release any footage from the Macross series, edit footage for releases, but they were no longer legally able to create new footage involving any of the characters, names, vehicles, etc... from the Macross series.

So where does this leave the movie? The iconic image for Robotech is the ship (Macross) and the Valkyrie (called Veritech in Robotech). Can these things even be used in the movie?

4. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

The only things that Harmony Gold doesn't have free and clear access to are the exact same character and mechanical designs from Macross, but altering them for the big screen--which would likely happen anyway, IMO--would be okay (there would still be a ship that looks roughly like the Macross/SDF-1, but it'd be an updated version. Ditto for the Valkyries/Veritechs).

5. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

We'd most likely end up with something like a F-22/35 that turns into a robot (see the live action movie version of Starscream). I highly doubt they'd get Shoji Kawamori on board to work his magic. This assumes the project will even get to that point, I'm highly skeptical so I'll believe it when I see it. Harmony gold isn't even competent enough to release a mediocre Shadow Chronicles sequel in a timely fashion.

6. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Can't really call something mediocre that nobody has even seen yet, but the delay of the Shadow Chronicles sequel had more to do with Warner Bros. than Harmony Gold.