Any Slayers fan in here?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Meredith, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Meredith

Meredith Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't know they had a new season of Slayers out in Japan, holy crap, guess I have another box set to buy!

My favorite character is either Lina Inverse or Zellgadis!

2. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've seen The Book of Spells OVA and a few of the films. They were ok but I wasn't overly impressed with them. I just bought them because they uber cheap on one of ADV's website's sales.

3. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

I tried to get into it about ten years ago. I remember it didn't do much for me. Maybe I'll give the new series a try and just see what happens.

4. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

only seen the first season from the 90's. I liked Zel...

EDIT:hey is it true they are making a new Fullmetal Alchemist series? :eek:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  5. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Do you mean a new season in addition to Slayers, Next, and Try? I first saw this series about 5 years ago and greatly enjoyed it, but I recently rewatched them all and it wasn't quite as good as I remembered. It's very repetitive and silly. But still, it's the only anime series I've watched that I've truly enjoyed.

6. zakkrusz

Yeah, it's called Slayers Revolution by the way, it's not liscensed outside of Japan though so no discs.

7. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

my ex turned into Lina Inverse so she ruined the anime for me, on the other hand, who here likes Tenchi?

8. zakkrusz

The Tenchi Muyo OVAs, and Tenchi Universe were good, the first Tenchi movie is one of my favorite anime movies, and GXP wasn't bad. The rest of the franchise I've also seen but I could take or leave. I've got nothing against harem anime (and I've seen about 20 actually) but I've gotta be in the right mood for them and they're very low priority, making up onlly a fraction of all of the stuff I've seen.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  9. Sephiroth

i recently got Tenchi Muyo! Ryo Ohki, it's a retcon to smoothe things out for GXP, it wraps up alot of loose ends from the original anime, but retcons alot that annoys me (Kiyone is completely gone, Tenchi's mom was...odd, not the charater we met in the movie, and creates a very complex and dizzying family tree)

10. zakkrusz

Yeah, I gave up trying to make sense of the Jurai family....

On the subject of harems, what's odd is when you find one of those shoujo series like Fruits Basket and Vampire Knight that are like reverse-harem series, tons of guys all going after one woman.

11. Sephiroth

there was a special feature on the dvd that has these two women that go into Tenchi Lore and they had the whole family tree written out, had something like 500 charaters all interconnected

12. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Man, I haven't seen Tenchi for a really long time. I might have to go back and watch some again. It's one of those shows that, wile not overly great, keeps you entertained. It was one of the first shows where I wanted the guy to end up with someone other than who he was supposed to.

As for Fruits Basket, I don't know if I could thing of a show that was as well thought out and at the same time as poorly executed.

I thought the concept was fresh, intriguing and original, but man was it so friggen boring! I did so much ceiling gazing which isn't a good thing because it's hard to read subtitles when you're staring at the ceiling.

13. zakkrusz

Well:

A) It's shoujo, (made for teenage girls) so if you're not a girl (which I'm not) you're not the target audience and probabally might find shows like it somewhat dry or even annoying. It kept me me ammused with with the humor and Tohru's silly spacey expressions, but I wouldn't rank it among my favorites (same with Vampire Knight though that one has occasional action as well.)

B) The anime covers only a fraction of the actual story. The manga is 23 volumes and the anime gets through like 5 or 6 only. You didn't even get to meet all the Zodiac members yet.