Killjoys Season 1: Discussion and Spoilers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

2. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm getting a "merely pretty" from her. Eye of the beholder and all that.

The lead in Dark Matter, though - "Two" - wow. Beautiful. Especially nice lips.

As for the shows, neither is striking me as especially noteworthy. I'll enjoy them while they're on, but I won't miss them if they don't last. At least so far.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really enjoyed this one. I do agree that it doesn't feel as futuristic as it could, but I really don't mind that.
    I thought the storyline was pretty good, I was surprised that they just set off that explosion in the middle of the town like that.
    The only thing I was a little annoying was when they tried to make us think D'Avin was going to leave without becoming a Killjoy when all of the promotional material and stuff were already referring to him as the third member of their Killjoy team.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

If you mean the explosion of the missile at the end, that was on the roof of the villains' tower stronghold in the middle of a wasteland. Not really a heavily populated area.

Anything that gets any promotion at all is going to have some of its plot points revealed in advance. Not everything is about surprising the audience. What really matters is how the characters come to discover it, and how it affects them. Even if you know it's coming, there's still value in seeing how it plays out -- at least, if the story is well-told.

Heck, look at that other show about space bounty hunters, Cowboy Bebop. It takes nine episodes, about a third of the series, to accumulate its entire core cast, but their images are all included in the main titles from the premiere onward.

5. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I liked this second episode quite a bit.

I'll agree that Hannah John-Kamen is the most beautiful new person I've seen on tv in years. Perhaps her beauty blinds me to any problems with this show.

I'll disagree with everyone here and say I like the music. In fact I'd even say that I have loved the music so far. It totally works for my ears.

Though this second episode was a bit too violent for my preferences. Won't scare me off or anything, but after this episode, I'm not too worried about any sort of "don't kill" code that they have or anything like that.

6. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I barely even notice the music so it must not be that bad. It's just kind of there though.

7. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

haven't seen the ep so don't know if was killing after being fired upon but it seemed from the first ep that Dutch had a problem with cold blooded killing such as a level 7 bounty where the person was wanted dead.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't mind the music. It does fit the tone of the show, and really that's all I care about. I know a lot of people don't like when they use pop music for these kinds of shows, but I don't mind as long as it fits and Killjoy's music does.

9. Christopher

^I've long since resigned myself to the use of pop music in TV shows. The problem is that the specific music they're using here is particularly annoying.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

There are certain shows, especially teen shows like Teen Wolf, Vampire Diaries, ect where I actually prefer pop music. It just seems more appropriate there than a big orchestral score would.

11. Christopher

^Yes, again, it's about the specific style and quality of the music, not simply that it's pop. I mean, I just watched Cowboy Bebop: The Movie today, which has a very eclectic range of musical styles in its soundtrack, and even though a number of them are styles I'm not all that fond of, I still think Yoko Kanno does a pretty amazing job with the music, and it tends to be pretty interesting and effective. But the songs they've used in Killjoys so far are distracting, intrusive, and kind of obnoxious. It's not that they belong to some overall genre, it's that they are individually unpleasant songs, or at least poorly chosen for the contexts they're placed in.

12. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah, but Yoko Kanno is a freakin' genius.

13. Christopher

^Which is my point. It isn't genre that determines quality, it's the individual merit of each work. So I'll never understand why so many people find it necessary to respond to "I didn't like this specific thing" with the assumption that the criticism is of the entire genre.

14. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I thought the first two episodes were good. I'll be interested to see how the season goes.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, when I made those posts I was pretty sure I remembered you showing a dislike for pop music in TV in general.

16. Christopher

It's not my preference, but as I said, I've had decades to get used to it; and there are instances where it works. Killjoys, however, is not one of them.

Although at least, so far, it hasn't fallen into the practice of ending every episode with a music-video montage of the characters just sitting around looking pensive for two minutes.

17. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

I think the music is one of the best parts of the show.:shrug:And the shootout at the end had great cinematogrphy.

18. Ganja Tea

Ganja Tea Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like the music too and I'm liking the show itself a lot as well. I find the characters much more charismatic and likable than the ones on Dark Matter. Everyone on that show and the show itself I find terribly bland.

19. Christopher

I think Dark Matter is at an immediate disadvantage on the character-richness front, since even the characters themselves don't know who they are. Character texture generally comes from history, and the Raza crew has little history yet, while the Killjoys have plenty of mysterious backstory to whet our interest. But I think episode 3 of Dark Matter went a long way toward deepening the characters and their relationships, so I think they'll get more interesting the more they grow over the course of the series. It's just that some narratives naturally evolve more gradually than others.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It if actually kind of ironic if you think about it. Dark Matter is all about people who don't know their own histories, and two of Killjoys story arcs appear to deal with the characters' histories.