Netflix: Show Calendar?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Mr Light, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I never know when shows are arriving or expiring on Netflix. Is there a website somewhere that shows the schedule for this?

I basically only know when I catch a news article like the one about Clone Wars coming out today.

But I *also* stumbled across The Guild (yay!) and Glee (meh) showing up today!

2. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Unfortunately, Netflix does not publish information on what is expiring until it's 2 weeks from expiration.

I don't think they have any standard method for notifying you when something arrives on Netflix, either.

3. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Yep. Instantwatcher used to do it, but then Netflix changed how they revealed expiring titles, and so now no one knows until they're trying to cram it in before Netflix pulls it off their list.

4. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/01/netflix-march-2014_n_4880432.html

TV Shows

"Pokémon: Indigo League" Season 1, available March 1
    "Rake" Seasons 1-2, available March 1
    "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" Season 6, available March 7
    "Breaking Amish" Season 1, available March 12
    "Mad Men" Season 6, available March 30
    Movies

"The Silence Of The Lambs," available March 1
    "Dirty Dancing," available March 1
    "Kicking and Screaming," available March 1
    "Linsanity," available March 1
    "Robin Hood: Men in Tights," available March 1
    "Roman Holiday," available March 1
    "The Blair Witch Project," available March 1
    "The Ice Storm," available March 1
    "The Station Agent," available March 1
    "Valkyrie," available March 1
    "The United States of Leland," available March 1
    "While You Were Sleeping," available March 1
    "Uptown Girls," available March 6

5. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Why don't they post the schedules more in advance to generate interest and publicity??? I don't get that. You encourage people to watch the expiring shows, and you raise anticipation for what's coming next.

6. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

what i don't get is why they only have the first two seasons of The Twilight Zone and the last several seasons of Law and Order Criminal Intent.

7. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

8. Starbreaker

Publicly announcing they are losing content is a bad thing. And I'm sure these deals are done from month to month on what type of content is going to be airing.

9. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

They're also not an ad-based business. The less you actually watch, the better, as long as you maintain your subscription.

10. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

They are a customer-service business, though. Certainly, for years, Netflix did really well through the good will it earned by just being more reasonable than the competition. Granted, they blew some of that good will when they split the stream and DVD services, but they might have happier, more supportive customers if those customers could better plan their viewing schedule.

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

You think they would want to announce NEW shows though?

12. Starbreaker

There's a section called New Releases

13. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

14. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Not really. To build on what Mister Fandango said, they want to be thought of as a utility: one month's subscription isn't any better or worse than another month's; the important thing is that it's a bill that must be paid, just like water or energy. Trumpeting new content suggests that you have a choice to subscribe to Netflix rather than Hulu Plus or Amazon Prime, and they don't want to be thought of in terms of choice.

Furthermore, even if they only announce new content, that would inevitably encourage people to whine about why they don't have other content, or why some content went away. For $9 a month, you get streaming, which is what it is, period. You want total choice, subscribe to discs.

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Archer Season Four is on Netflix now!!!

16. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I've lost a few movies I had sitting in my Que because they apparently expired. Kind of crappy too because I wanted to watch those movies (eventually).

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

thanks to MC Chris:

new to netflix april 1st:
    barton fink - not only one of my favorite cohen brothers movies but one of my favorite movies of all time. i took a group of friends to the fine arts theater in chicago to see it on my sixteenth birthday
    death wish 1 and 2 - i really don't need to explain why these movies are awesome
    the fifth element - luc besson can do no wrong. even when his movies are bad, and this is NOT an exaple of that, they stil are fun. he's always making new movies and producing. vive le work ethic!
    muppets take manhattan - my third favorite muppet movie after great muppet caper and muppet movie (fuck the new movies.) this movie always triggers recollecitng traumatic event for me. i saw it alone at the liberty theater in libertville, and my mom forgot to pick me up. but the bicycle man who always drove around town on his bicycle with a bunch of flags on the back, stopped and took me inside to call my mom. i later heard he drove a bike because his wife was killed in a car crash. although that could have just been suburban myth
    the running man - the skits on part sixe parts one, two and three are based on this movie, and in those skits we actually set up mc chris foreverrr!
    the terminator - just a great movie, before the sequels came out this was thought of a scary as fuck movie that you were lucky to watch as a kid because it was so hard R.
    last chance to watch:
    sunset boulevard - one of the best movies ever made.
    pet sematary - not one of the best movies ever made but still fun. so this one at the liberty theater in junior high with a bunch a friends. i miss my old theater and i'm glad it still stands. visited it last year and it smelled the same! love those old smells and the memories they trigger.

18. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

Expire warnings are placed besides titles in our queues online 2 weeks ahead of the expire date. Checking the queue at least twice a month is needed to avoid ''where'd that go'' syndrome.

As for Netflix no longer providing expiring title data to third party sites like instant watcher.com & feedfliks.com, the stated alleged reason ( from the site's founders) was that NF's competitors were using those sites to track what was due to expire, and go after it, resulting in higher than previously acquired renewal fees if NF wanted to retain them.

19. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

I just found out that with some jiggery pokery on the PS3 i can get access to, and watch, netflix USA, and i have to say, it's a 1000 times better in content than the stuff we get on the UK version of netflix.

And now that i have seen what the US version has i could not go back to the UK content.

20. .:: TSN ::.

.:: TSN ::. Captain Captain

Yep, you can watch any Netflix content from any area if you just know right tricks. But dont completely ignore UK-region. There have been some good movies and series that are only available in UK and not in USA.

I dont know if I would pay for Netflix if I only had access to local Nordic Netflix. And I think that Netflix knows it so even if they dont officially support region-switching, they dont really do anything to block it..