Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Cara007, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Cara007

Cara007 Lieutenant

I have always loved Joss. I loved him before he got so huge and popular last year with Avengers. Joss is a genius. Buffy the vampire slayer is one of the best ever written shows on Television.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

But what's right for Buffy might not be right for Trek.

I couldn't get past the first few episodes of Buffy, myself.

3. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Kirk was only mostly dead, hence why they put him in the cryotube to preserve his brain functions.

4. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

I think Alfre Woodard is a great actress; she's not bad in the role of Lilly. Lilly just grates on my nerves and feels like having her there comes at the expense of character moments and development for the TNG crew. For me, it would have had more punch for Crusher to be the one getting into Picard's face and forcing him to deal with the fact that he's blinded by vengeance.

Pretty much on par with the Cryo-Patients from "The Neutral Zone"

5. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

Miracle Max from Princess Bride should guest star in the next movie! :techman:

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

They were all the way dead.

But you know you're not allowed to bring up past Trek precedents when evaluating the Abrams films. When the older episodes/films do something off-the-wall? Genius. When the Abrams films do it? He's pissing all over Star Trek, its fans and its legacy. :rofl:

7. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

As if "The Neutral Zone" is all that revered by fans as "genius". :lol: I do get what you're saying though, and there are hypocritical fans who praise a certain element on one place, but trash it when Abrams does the same thing. Really though, forget them. I do think the magic blood thing is stupid, but that doesn't mean I liked it when it was done in the past. Trek has done some pretty stupid and goofy things in the past, but I don't think that means you just keep doing those things and assume it's all kosher because it's been done before anyway. At one point Spock goes blind, but oh wait he has a second set of inner eyelids, so he's okay! That kind of stuff is cheap, and I'd prefer Trek to move away from that kind of stuff unless it does something truly interesting. Like the Neelix episode when he gets revived by nanoprobes. Totally silly, but it actually delves deeper into how Neelix perceives the afterlife so that silly element from the beginning is more of a catalyst rather than a cop out.

8. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

"The Neutral Zone" has Leon Rippy; it's automatically genius.

9. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

The real miracle was the woman getting her scan results back so efficiently.

10. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Wait till she gets the bill though. You can bet that hospital charged her for that new kidney

Oh shit: What if McCoy's healing pills were the baseline for Khan's healing blood? Prime McCoy could have created magic blood when he contaminated the timeline.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  11. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

He's probably the only good part of that episode. Just wanted to throw a party.

12. BigJake

Yeah, like Makeshift says, a bad Abramstrek idea doesn't become automatically valid if you can find some almost-as-bad distant half-cousin to it in old Trek. I'm surprised at how often it's necessary to point that out on this forum.

13. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

IT's not that it becomes a good idea because it happened in past shows (and no, not as a distant half cousin but just as egregious plot fixes). It's that it stops being a bad idea that Abrams uniquely foisted on the franchise because he doesn't respect science fiction or whatever people are currently moaning he failed at.

14. BigJake

Can't say as I much care whether this or that specific trope was "unique" to Abrams or not. It's how they're combined that makes nuTrek so truly... singular. So very much itself. As it were.

Even as a kid I remember thinking that was a little over-convenient...

Which is what makes it truly unforgivable. Forty minutes of Neelix "character development"... *shudder* Those forty minutes were dark times indeed.

15. Nerys Myk

But is it really a bad idea? Is the idea that with the application of some 23rd Century medical knowledge Khan's blood can be used to bring Kirk back from what should be a fatal exposure to radiation really a bad one?

16. BillJ

I was being a touch sarcastic...

But if you'd seen some of the things that have been said on this forum over the past four-and-one-half years, you'd likely be joining me on the grumpy, sarcastic side.

We literally had one poster arguing that Into Darkness wasn't Star Trek because it had Spock running. It is a thing of beauty how some fans perceive the other shows in comparison to the Abrams films.

17. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's a thought, but too bad Khan would have already been born (unless he aged super-fast growing up).

18. BillJ

Is it really any worse than Neelix and his holographic lungs? :guffaw:

19. Nerys Myk

Spock always seems develop a new "superpower" when needed.

20. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

The point is, and why this stuff gets pointed out, is cause certain people act like Abrams and Co. are going out of their way to piss on the franchise. What's getting missed is that the writing is actually pretty true to tone and style of TOS. I've said in the past: the new movies are "average" Trek films once you strip away the visuals. In terms of story and / or writing, there is nothing standout about the movies. These are strictly formula / paint by numbers, Trek stories. Yet, they're still fun and entertaining films.

Every "sin" the new movies have committed are no worse or no better than the same "sin" when it was done in past incarnations of the franchise.

The minute a complaint starts wit "Star Trek never did [insert complaint]". It's a safe bet that it did at some point in the last four decades. Which is my biggest beef with the new movies: It should have been a wholesale slaughter and reboot fo the franchise. They're actually to loyal to the franchise's past.

Almost forgot about that nonsense. Right up there with replacing Vedek Bareil's brain with a positronic matrix.