What's the deal with Spock being betrothed?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by T'Ryl, Jun 6, 2013.

1. T'Ryl

T'Ryl Ensign Newbie

Forgive me if this was discussed before.

Are we supposed to pretend that never happened even though the only one presumably effected by Nero's presence right off the bat was James T. Kirk, who last his father and a positive male role model. I mean in TOS we are told that Spock & T'Pring were bonded at the age of 7. So I would have to assume at least that much would still happen.

I hope that the betrothal bond was severed by T'Pring death on Vulcan. But still, to publicly kiss Uhura, it would have to mean, to me that they had given prior signs of public displays of affection. That thought leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, because Spock is supposed to be all logical. Other thoughts?

2. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Re: What the deal with the Spock being betroved

Vulcans could be polygamous.

3. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Spock may still be betrothed - we don't know that T'Pring died in the destruction of Vulcan (although it is statistically likely).

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Or this current Spock is young and doesn't really care about his betrothal to T'Pring.

I mean, in Enterprise, T'Pol was betrothed to some random Vulcan but was still in a relationship with Trip.

5. Gov Kodos

Or Pon Farr bonding is a marriage in name only, a way of dealing with biology but is not a permanent marriage. The bond mates meet every seven years, but are otherwise free of each other to marry whom they choose.

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Or maybe Spock invoked the rite of ritual combat, and Uhura lirpa'd T'Pring's ass right into the ground.

7. T'Ryl

T'Ryl Ensign Newbie

Ha ha, that I would like to see even though I am not a fan of this pairing. I liked T'Pring even less.

8. GMDreia

GMDreia Commander Red Shirt

Spock had girlfriends prior to "Amok Time" (there is a hint of something having happened with Leila Kalomi earlier in his life, before they actually got it on in "This Side of Paradise"). I really don't see the big deal.

9. USSPhilippi

USSPhilippi Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

T'Pring may still be alive. Have you seen the latest issue of the nuTrek ongoing comic? It picks up after the events of STID.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2013
  10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

That might be a fun subplot for the next movie, and another fun way to bring Leonard Nimoy back.

Young Spock goes through Pon Farr.

11. USSPhilippi

USSPhilippi Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Again, building off my previous post
    .... In the new issue of the nuTrek comic book, just out, Spock experiences the plak tow (blood fever), the prelude to pon Farr, soon after the events of STID.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2013
  12. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

And near the end of that issue (since Vulcan no longer exists, Kirk diverts the Enterprise to New Vulcan instead) Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Carol and Uhura are met by Sarek... and a still-very-much-alive T'Pring. And judging from Uhura's reaction to the greeting "my betrothed," Spock definitely did NOT tell her of the girl waiting back home for him.

So yeah, either T'Pring's in for one helluva beatdown next issue - or Spock is. Either way, Carol's gonna have to hold Uhura's earrings for her. :ouch:

13. KittyDuran

KittyDuran Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

So Pon Farr is just plain Vulcan biology? I thought the planet had a bigger role in Pon Farr... or maybe with the planet gone it might not be so strong or has changed (longer time between mating, starts at a later age, starts at a younger age, etc.)

14. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

T'Pring is (unfortunately) very likely dead. And that's the end of her as far as this universe goes I suspect.

15. Yeoman Basha

Yeoman Basha Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Yeah, that really bothered me, too. It's one of many reasons I didn't care for S/U.

In retrospect, it would have made much more sense to me if their romance had officially begun AFTER the destruction of Vulcan. Before that happens, we could see that Uhura loves Spock and is pursing him, but he gently refuses her because he is engaged to T'Pring, and also because it's just not in his character to openly pursue a romance with a co-worker. But then Vulcan blows up, T'Pring is dead, and that experience shakes Spock to his core so that now he's willing to get involved with Uhura. If the 2009 film had gone like that, I would have had a much easier time accepting the relationship.

16. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I always figured that the arranged marriage thing was just a way to insure that young Vulcans do not die due to Pon Farr. Sort of like if neither has another way to "release," they are married together.

So in TOS, had Spock been boinking Uhura, he'd have just done that and informed T'Pring he is in a relationship leaving T'Pring free to marry Stonn when her/his Ponn Farr starts up.

But who knows? Vulcan mating practices are still not very transparent 46 years after being introduced.

(BTW I do not consider the comics/novels canon)

17. Cake

Cake Captain Captain

Maybe he thinks cheating is logical.

18. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

1. He kicked T'Pring to the curb long ago

2. She died with Vulcan and Spock and Uhura didn't get serious until after that

3. When undergoing kolinahr Spock was automatically divorced

4. We'll see of she is still around in the 'After Darkness...' comic

19. Gov Kodos

She'll be the villain of the next movie 'The Search for Spock'.

20. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

That has not yet been made clear. ;)