Season ONE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Mutai Sho-Rin, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

Right now, somewhere in the world, mail carriers, UPS and FedEx drivers are delivering precious cargo to mere mortals known as Trek fans. Based on the vote that Holdfast compiled, we will have a thread for each season as they are released. Here's the place to start with observations on the episodes in Season 1.

2. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

This is an exciting time for Star Trek.

Seven years ago, as ENT ended, I had hoped to see such renewed passion for the timeless franchise so soon, but I wasn't sure it would happen. Instead, in just four years Abrams launched a financially successful Trek film with more to come. And judging by the number of fans that attended the theatrical TNGS1 screenings tonight, it seems the Primeverse is alive and well in 2012, too.

Ahem, sorry. Just wanted my first post in this groundbreaking new topic series to be a poignant one!

I've also had a couple of beers, so.

3. Ysmalari

Ysmalari Ensign Red Shirt

My postman really had better drop it through my door today, I'll be crushed if I can't watch Encounter at Farpoint this evening!

I'm very excited about this release, despite owning all the seasons on DVD I haven't watched much of them recently purely because they really do look ropey on a big flatscreen even with a decent upscaling player. The reviews for the new boxset have so far been fantastic so I'm really excited to see it for myself.

This release along with Abram's films should hopefully re-energise the franchise.

Live long and prosper, Star Trek, live long and prosper :cool:

4. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well apart from the audio problems, this really is a nice box set.

I was surprised by how small the packaging is, not much bigger than a standard bluray case.

I was expecting a bit more inside maybe a leaflet or something, all the disk info is printed on the inside of the cover so you cant see it as the disks hide it.

EaF looks amazing sadly the surround sound is messed up so the dialogue comes out of both the centre speaker and the front right speaker.

5. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When the TOS sets were released I'd planned on a complete Trek rewatch. Unfortunately other things pulled at my time and I wasn't in a position to start until around Christmas last year. Then, of all things, news of a potential TNG remaster started coming through, which put another hold on the rewatch.

As it stands, it's probably at least a decade since I've rewatched TNG all the way through, and quite possibly even longer than that. To say I'm ready for it, is an understatement of some proportions!

I remember back in the day hating the very though of a 'next generation' - WTF?! Where's Kirk, and Spock? Where's Bones? Initial impressions upon watching EaF did little to change that view. I was underwhelmed. It was a few more years before I'd be won around.

Upon subsequent viewings, my opinion of EaF has mellowed somewhat. It's still not amongst the best that TNG has to offer, but it's a solid enough start - it's a good introduction to the characters, it highlights the differences between Kirk and Picard, and also the 1701 and the 1701-D. And then there's Q. Seriously, who doesn't love Q?!

Anyhow, I'm hoping that the postie finally delivers my set today. I'm raring to go, and have been for a good number of days. Either way, I'll be watching EaF tonight, either on the new set, or from the sampler disc.

Good times ahead. :)

6. SillyTilly

SillyTilly Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Mine arrived on Saturday and so far I am up to 11001001. Picture Quality is fantastic. I had some audio problems on Haven but thats the only problems I found. Really happy with the set though I do hope they correct the audio problems. The restoration documentary was fascinating and shows how much hard work they have put into the set. Looking forward to watching the rest of the extras once I have finished watching the episodes. Must congratulate the people who worked on the set as its looks and sounds (bar errors) fantastic.

7. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mine arrived this morning, hurrah!

Now I feel like a starving man suddenly presented with a 5-course meal! Where to begin.....

8. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt

Somebody asked about this in the genereal thread: I checked the Starfleet communication logs Data reads in "Conspiracy" and wrote down the names of all the starships names that are legible now:

USS Albert Einstein
    USS Atlantis
    USS Callisto
    USS Copernicus
    USS Constellation
    USS Elmer Fudd
    USS Endeavour
    USS James Fennimore Cooper (sic)
    USS Ganymede
    USS Gremlin
    USS Heart of Gold
    USS Max Plank (sic)
    USS Mustang
    USS Nightwing
    USS Non Sequitur
    USS Omaha Nebraska
    USS Robert Louis Stevenson
    USS Sherlock Holmes
    USS Ticonderoga
    USS Tranquility Base
    USS Tycho
    USS Unicorn
    USS White Sands

two or three I couldn't make out: One looks like USS Aleq, another one seems to be USS Matt Fringe.

9. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm going to Best Buy later today to pick up my copy. I'm ligitamently excited about this, despite the audio scare I keep reading lately. I'm really looking forward to these special features, which even on the DVDs I still watch. Heck the other night I watched the Season 6 special features again, especially the bit on Stewart directing Fistful of Datas. It's been a long while too since I've had a TNG rewatch and for some reason whenever I start, I usually stop and then pick it up again at a later time.

10. Winged Victory

Winged Victory Captain Captain

You know, I had no intentions of dipping in the wallet to buy this when I already have all the TNG seasons on DVD. But after coming back from the theater showings last night, I think I'll head over to Best Buy. It's $59.99, same price as Amazon. :bolian: TNG rewatch, here I come!

11. BennyRussel

BennyRussel Commander Red Shirt

Right around the corner. Just across the track.

You have to love Dick Grayson getting his due.

BTW - UPS guy is due any minute with my copy!

12. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just picked up my copy and I have one small complaint. Why did the put they episode listing on the back cover sleave, so in order to pick a disc, you need to take it out? On the DVDs, I appreciated the episode titles on the discs themselves, but maybe they just wanted to keep the discs clean and blue this time around. Still, maybe an episode listing pamphlet which would have been easy to read would have been nice.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Awesome!!! :D :techman:

Question: Did the opening credits and theme music have to be redone, like TOS-R's were?

14. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just watched Encounter and Naked Now... Bloody hell. I haven't been so bowled over by a restoration job since the first time I saw a VIDfired William Hartnell. This is even more impressive than that as what the Restoration team do is try and get things to how the original print would have looked, what's been done with TNG is even better than broadcast. In the pilot you can tell what time of day they filmed any scene with Riker by how much five o'clock shadow he's showing (his chest hair is constantly threatening to escape his uniform as well, clearly his body was demanding a beard).

Encounter is an OK pilot, even if the Q plot being bolted on late in the day is fairly obvious (the casual and relaxed first meeting between Data and Riker would make sense in the context of being near the start of a one hour pilot, not when things are already well underway and there's a imminent deadline to work towards). In context of later episodes there's something sweetly funny about Riker being amazed and shocked by the Bandai being able to... do what replicators do. "You can make food appear... FROM NOTHING!!!!".

Actually, I suppose his reaction seems OTT even without replicators having been introduced yet considering Data explains that the holodeck does pretty much the same thing as well.

Naked Now comes in for a lot of stick but I don't mind it at all. It's a slight episode, but buoyed up by Spiner's perfectly timed pratfall and some superb comic timing between Stewart and McFadden. Picard's little skip as he enters sickbay is genius.

15. Kamdan

Kamdan Commander Red Shirt

I noticed a change in The Naked Now. The original episode displayed the refit version of the Enterprise on the diplay screen when they're reviewing the events of polywater intoxication. The HD has the correct version of the ship from that time period.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Picked mine up this morning.

So far I'm up to Lonely Among Us and they all look spectacular.

17. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

18. BillJ

19. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

20. BillJ

Like I said in the other thread, they probably skipped Farpoint because they'd already seen it on the sampler.