BLSSDWLF's TOS Enterprise WIP

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by blssdwlf, Apr 24, 2010.

1. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I had considered an irising diaphragm but didn't like how it looked in the closed position so opted with the cap instead.

That's what the rails are for! :whistle::D

Cyfa, Tallguy and publiusr like this.
  2. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll sing one of my favorite songs again: It would be nearly impossible to build an 11' ship or whatever scale the shuttle deck was built at and not see all the seams and moving parts for these doors. But a ~950' ship (built in the 23 century no less?) I would wager that a lot of these things that are considered "magic" wouldn't be all that hard. Or no harder than building the ship and getting it to other star systems.

All of those details might all be clearly visible when you are standing next to the doors. But move a few dozen or more feet away AND put it on a 1960's TV screen? Invisible!

blssdwlf, publiusr, Cyfa and 2 others like this.
  3. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

You do know that technical obsession and an unhealthy amount of 3D palaver does not compute with "magic" ;):p

blssdwlf and Cyfa like this.
  4. MGagen

MGagen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

5. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

6. Lt. Washburn

Lt. Washburn Captain Captain

I think there's a difference between things that are shown as being far removed from real-world technology, and thus being magical, like transporters and holograms, and things that seem to operate in more realistic ways, like sliding doors and turbolifts. I don't think that something like the shuttlebay doors were ever meant to be confoundingly advanced technology. They were supposed to be fairly straight-forward in their apparent function.

7. Tallguy

Very true. And I have built hangar doors that can function knowing just those examples (in addition to the Franz Joseph plans as well as the example of the Motion Picture. But none of them QUITE look like the Enterprise. You can either decide that the model is awfully close and make tweaks or you can start making some other adjustments. It's nowhere near the gymnastics that have to happen to make other parts of the ship work. But they're not nothing.

8. blssdwlf

Thanks @MGagen! These doors definitely look the closest to what the interior doors look like (with the overlap being on the outside for the Enterprise. I found some more nice high res images here in case others are interested:

https://www.atlasofplaces.com/architecture/cargolifter/

You can tell if you look at the tracks at the base of the doors you can see the overlap although the ribbed? edges of the door hide the overlap if viewed from the side or head-on. It is pretty huuuuuge! You could fit a 950' Enterprise in there (maybe on it's back)...:crazy:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  9. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah! There's the hangar deck that can "house a fleet of airliners" as suggested in "The Making of Star Trek"! ;)

Funny how several of those shots almost match the angle used in the original series!

blssdwlf, Tallguy, Warped9 and 2 others like this.
  10. Henoch

Henoch Rear Admiral Premium Member

Engineering-wise, does this hangar doors concept work equally well if the middle two doors are on the outside (suggested on the Datin Hangar Model) versus on the inside as with the cargo lifter, or does something not fit?

BK613 likes this.
  11. BK613

Mostly referring to when it was closed but yes you can tell. Question is, could you really tell if you made a model where the doors were the same physical size as the ones on the 11-footer?
    (Still hard to wrap my head around the size.)

12. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very impressive, thanks for sharing

blssdwlf likes this.
  13. Tallguy

You read my mind!

blssdwlf likes this.
  14. blssdwlf

It can work equally well with the setup on outside tracks (like the filmed Datin model) and on inside tracks as seen in the Cargo Lifter as the doors would be sized and shaped to work in such a way. *I use this same overlap sliding on the nacelle dome to open/close internal covers that expose the lighting...

Yes, I can tell the difference as the camera gets close enough in some of the low res screenshots to see that they do not overlap in the exterior shots...

Henoch and BK613 like this.
  15. BK613

No, I mean reducing those big ass doors on the airship hangar to the size of the 11-footer's doors. You would be talking doors thin as a piece of notebook paper overlapping.

IOW, I'm trying to find an out to crazy geometric door opening shenanigans...

16. blssdwlf

LOL I see. Well if the doors were thin as notepaper then it would probably be nearly impossible to tell if they overlap. But I do plan to have some thickness to the doors so... :)

Professor Moriarty likes this.
  17. danellis

danellis Captain Captain

I thought BK613 meant that the doors *in the model* would be paper-thin (to represent 600mm-1m real-world thickness), making any overlap difficult to see.

dJE

blssdwlf likes this.
  18. BK613

Exactly.

blssdwlf and danellis like this.
  19. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

A scaled up Planet of the Titans version would..

Spaceship Jo likes this.
  20. Spaceship Jo

Spaceship Jo Commander Red Shirt

Scale anything up enough (far too much) and it would be big enough for that "fleet of airliners".

publiusr and Professor Moriarty like this.