BLSSDWLF's TOS Enterprise WIP

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by blssdwlf, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That night time picture is great! Surprising how much of the hull gets illuminated by just the light coming from the windows

Henoch likes this.
  2. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks Mytran :) This morning I added some more details about the window lighting in the original post. The windows are spilling more light because they are really panels on the model that are set to emit light and I have the glow approximate to what I see visible on screen caps.

If I modeled in actual windows and then used realistic interior lights then what we would see illuminated on the outside would be much more dimmer and very directional. To get the same kind of bright light windows as seen filmed from a realism perspective I'd have to put some large glowing light panels next to the windows which is about the same as just making the window decals emit light. :whistle:

3. Henoch

Henoch Rear Admiral Premium Member

When all the windows are lit, it makes the old girl look more in line with the TNG design of ships with respect to windows. They should have used a variety of window lighting patterns during the TOS-R CGI remaster. For example, turn on more windows during peak shift times, red alerts or planet visits, or turn off more during the night shift as used in TCOTK or during the TUC when M5 turned lights off on several decks.

blssdwlf and publiusr like this.
  4. Mytran

Well I've never made a secret of my feelings on what the "windows" on the Enterprise really are (in-universe), so having them as self-illumination panels is just fine by me! :biggrin:

blssdwlf likes this.
  5. blssdwlf

Missed opportunities... but in defense of the TOS-R CGI, I did see the window lights in Journey to Babel turned off when Kirk was luring the Orion ship. I would've went all the way and turned off the red nacelle glow to give the Enterprise a truly un-powered look. Oh well.

A quick post tonight of the dorsal surface details on the primary hull.
    [​IMG]

6. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Hoth Steath mode on

saddestmoon likes this.
  7. blssdwlf

While doing some camera-matching research I came across this oddity that I'm hoping someone here might be able to confirm. Did the first pilot version of the 11 footer have that triple fin radiator on top of the impulse engine spine on the saucer?

8. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Nope!

According to Memory Alpha, before the model was used in the regular series produciton:
    The best photo demonstrating I have of the rib-less "linear accelerator" is this one from WNMHGB photography, and you can see it's also a blue color:
    [​IMG]
    I was scared I may have gotten this lack of detail wrong, but nope! It's correct! <Shameless plug>
    [​IMG]

9. blssdwlf

You rock Donny! :beer:

Yeah, I was going nuts comparing my model to a screenshot where the rib was missing. All these years I never noticed that until yesterday but thought it was my eyes playing tricks on me :D

edit: That's a beautiful render :techman:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    publiusr and Donny like this.
  10. blssdwlf

Happy Thanksgiving y'all - stay safe and look after each other :)

Rebuilding the sections and adding geometry for lighted parts to be more physically accurate - starting with the nacelle lighting. Wow, trying to recreate the effect is quite illuminating :whistle:

Here's my first pass that rendered overnight. I can see that I've got some changes to make.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  11. blssdwlf

Figured out how to do expressions and also animated the blinks. Reduced the size of the internal spinner dome just a bit to try and get it to be more fuzzier. This version is based on the NASM re-creation although I might add more blinky lights and randomness to it.

Henoch, StarCruiser and ashleytinger like this.
  12. blssdwlf

Refined the nacelle lighting and internals a bit and rendered out a longer test sequence. This time I even included sound effects :) Here I'm testing:
    1. powering up/down (increasing internal light intensity),
    2. blade spin rates,
    3. blade slots/gaps cover and opening
    4. spike extending/retracting
    5. (edit) and nacelle yaw/pitch +/- 1 degree on the nacelle pylon
    Video is a bit noisy but overall I'm happy with the results.

My controller setup:
    [​IMG]
    Dome lights off:
    [​IMG]
    Blade slots closed with spike extended:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    Henoch, Lt. Washburn and saddestmoon like this.
  13. Mytran

Trying to reproduce the nacelle cap blinkies is a task which has challenged many, but these are looking very nice!
    The sound effects are great

blssdwlf likes this.
  14. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I noticed the nacelle pivoted upon its pylon at the 10 second mark. Given the other "mechanical" aspects you've introduced, I assume this was intentional? What the "in universe" explanation for that particular feature?

Norsehound likes this.
  15. blssdwlf

Yep that was intentional. :D
    It's really to account for inconsistent alignment of the nacelles (usually some drooping) that is present in many of the shots I've camera-matched against.
    "In universe" I think of it as part of a nacelle suspension/shock absorption system that can absorb unwanted torquing and also add slight rotations +/- 1 degree in the yaw, pitch and bank axis for specific maneuvers. :whistle:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    Lt. Washburn and publiusr like this.
  16. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

blssdwlf likes this.
  17. blssdwlf

Thanks @Donny!

Today's update is adding the dome clips retracting and extending.

18. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

That’s awesome!

blssdwlf likes this.
  19. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Well I've certainly built my fair share of AMT Enterprise models with nacelles that did that. :ouch:

Love it!

scifieric, blssdwlf and Tallguy like this.
  20. blssdwlf

This rendered faster than I thought it would so here is a quick test for tonight where I've animated the retracting and extending sensor blisters on the engineering hull.

I goofed a bit on the grill cutout into the hull so I'll be adjusting that.

Donny, publiusr and Henoch like this.