BLSSDWLF's TOS Enterprise WIP

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by blssdwlf, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nah. The "TV shows" of TNG, DS9 and ENT didn't look like "real life" either. They just didn't want to contradict to earlier "TV shows" of TOS. Right?

2. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

*I* don't have CATIA, but the company I work for does. At many thousands of dollars for one seat, I couldn't afford it! And yes, we use CATIA, NX, or Creo (formerly Pro-E) to design aircraft and other vehicles. It just depends on the requirements of the programs as to which one we use.

3. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I miss blssdwlf working on this stuff.:)

4. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

@BK613 - I've been itching to return to the project. :)

5. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

DO IT!

I've been re-reading this thread from the beginning and DANG! there's some great stuff in here.

Also, I had forgotten that I was the one who first coined the phrase "What would the Thermians do" way back in post #35. Yay me! Oh what innocent times back in April of 2010..... (still about a month before my personal life totally went to Hell for a year and half. Oh well. Life goes on and the future is bright.)

--Alex

6. blssdwlf

Yeah time flies Alex :) I'm glad you're doing well now.

I'm going to return to it but it'll be a little different as some life priorities have changed for me.

7. blssdwlf

I've been watching quite a few awesome Enterprise projects on this forum and felt the itch to do some more 3D so I'm going to ease back into this by starting small. Cheers :)

[​IMG]

BK613, uniderth, Spaceship Jo and 3 others like this.
  8. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

I’ve awaited this day! Can’t wait to see more.

9. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

An oft overlooked set! Looking forward to your work on it

10. Sibyl

Sibyl Caffeine Pill Popper Rear Admiral

Now that's damn good!

Seeing these images makes me realize I have a few issues with mine.

Excellent work!

11. blssdwlf

Thanks guys :)

One more. I'm still fiddling with the shapes of the cushions and I'm basically re-learning how to texture with 2018's new PBR engine.

[​IMG]

12. blssdwlf

Added placeholders for the rest of the conference room from "The Cage". It's kinda odd in that the angled supports don't align as expected and the suspended ceiling ring is tilted a bit. The video monitor in the back also seems to have forced the angled support further back.

[​IMG]

scifieric, Donny and uniderth like this.
  13. Mytran

The perfect symmetry of the set, ruined by whoever it was who shoved that big projector screen TV into shot! :devil:

14. blssdwlf

I'm going to try and tighten the alignment and see if I can get that frame closer to the ring. But I don't think those supports are actually attached to the ring at all. Two of the supports (9 and 3 o'clock) aren't visible and I added them in to balance it out.

15. blssdwlf

Actually got a better alignment after fiddling with the camera match on that back support. Camera match still needs refinement and the conference table still looks wonky on the match. This room I think is going to clock in at 12' high.
    [​IMG]

Donny and publiusr like this.
  16. Mytran

Did we ever actually see all 6 struts anywhere? I know 4 of them turned up in that engineering column in Enemy Within and 2 on the "Hanger Bay" door in Doomsday Machine but is that the extent of their appearances?

I just had a quick look at WNMHGB and again it seems that 4 struts are present. Is it possible that there were only supposed to be 4 struts in the Briefing Lounge from the start?

17. blssdwlf

Interesting observation. I've not seen more than 4 struts at a time in any reference images.

The WNMHGB Briefing Lounge might have been a 4-spoke setup in a cross pattern as it is kinda hard to tell. But in the WNMHGB Briefing Room the 4 visible struts are roughly 9, 11, 1 and 3 o'clock.which would suggest that there should be a 5 and 7 o'clock strut. "The Cage" Briefing Room we can only see 11, 1, 5 and 7 o'clock struts with the 9 and 3 o'clock struts likely obscured.

18. Mytran

In The Cage the composition of the shots masks the absence of the 2 struts and their presence can be implied (although this shot is pretty damning http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x00hd/thecagehd0822.jpg)

However, in WNMHGB their absence is quite obvious!
    http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x03hd-alt/wherenomanhasgonebeforehdalt0720.jpg

Are you suggesting they're two separate areas? I always took them to be the same room! Yes it means that the crew would have to pack up their card games and leave whenever a conference was scheduled, but why leave that room to go to waste the rest of the time? :whistle:

19. blssdwlf

Actually it's not that bad. The strut would have been visible if the camera could pan to the right in that shot. In The Cage's Briefing Room the struts are "aligned" to the 6 spokes on the ceiling disk. Based on the angle and zoom the struts would not have been visible, IMO.

But in the WNMHGB's Briefing Room, the struts are aligned *between* the ceiling spokes. In the reference shot you can see 3 struts aligned on the slices. And with 6 slices then 3 would be on the opposite side behind the camera FOV.

IMHO, I think there would be two separate rooms especially if there were a different number of struts. (But that's just me... :) )

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    uniderth likes this.
  20. Mytran

If the struts are aligned to the spokes, shouldn't there have been a strut between the two ladies?