Season ONE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Mutai Sho-Rin, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I know. The level of remastering is pretty unprecedented for any TV show, let alone Star Trek.

2. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

One thing occurred to me..of all the people who made early STNG what it was, why was Tracy Torme not interviewed?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  3. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I'd assume he turned them down? I can't imagine them not at least approaching him about it.

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I asked Robert Meyer Burnett, and he usually answers me, but not a word from him. Perhaps Torme was still unhappy after all these years.

5. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

That's my guess. It's been acknowledged that some of the staff was not interested in doing interviews because of bitter feelings they still carry over what happened behind the scenes, and Torme is just one of them. It's really too bad we couldn't get more of the staff from the earlier seasons, as they are an important part of TNG's beginnings. Fontana and Gerrold were game to get in interviews, but they're not as special because they have a history with Trek beyond TNG, whereas folks like Torme and Maurice Hurley were unique to that specific time in TNG.

6. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I notice after Torme left, there was only one Dixon Hill appearance in TNG, and one in First Contact. Didn't they have to pay Torme royalties for that?

7. MakeshiftPython

I don't think so. From what I understand, Dixon Hill was only supposed to be a one-off thing. The appearance in "Manhunter" was coming from a Torme who was burned after what happened with "The Royale", so he was only coasting since then, waiting for his contract to expire with the season's end. It's appearance in "Clues" was probably just a fun little way to introduce the premise of that episode and in FIRST CONTACT it makes for a fun throwback and we get to see Picard with a thompson.

It's that whole Sherlock Holmes thing that got them in real trouble with royalties.

8. jimbotron

Which is ironic now that Sherlock Holmes has entered the public domain.

The commentary for The First Duty was funny. RDM was joking about how obvious it was that Nick Locarno (city in Switzerland) became Tom Paris (city in France), just to avoid royalties.

9. MakeshiftPython

I'm wondering if Locarno wasn't really used because Jeri Taylor would have thought there was no redeeming the character after trying to hide the truth, whereas Paris comes out and confesses. The royalties explanation doesn't make much sense, given that the producers had no issue with having O'Brien and later Worf in the cast of DS9.

10. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I believe the difference here is that O'Brien and Worf were recurring characters in TNG and created by the staff of the show and was thus owned by the studio, whereas Lacarno was a character created for a single episode and Shankar was not a full member of the writing staff, so he owned the rights to the character. This was detailed in another post (either here or the VOY forum), but that was my takeaway.

I do think the "redeem-ability" of the character played into it too though. I'm sure, if they decided they wanted to use the character, they could have bought the character outright, especially since Shankar was then part of the staff.

11. jimbotron

The "no redeeming" part is a cop-out, and I think everyone involved found it the same way too. I'm not sure what's so irredeemable about Locarno, considering he took the fall to protect the team in the end. Compare to Ensign Ro who screwed up on an away mission and got 8 crewmembers killed, yet she was redeemed.

12. 0100110

0100110 Cadet Newbie

Just finished watching Season One, Unbelievable, looks like it was filmed yesterday, i'm amazed at what they can do which is an 80's US show, which never seemed (picture quality wise) as good as the UK shows.
    I'm so glad they redid it, can't wait to set the next 6 seasons :drool:

13. Chris2005

Chris2005 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Well, Season 6 comes out on blu-ray next month in the US, as of right now.

Season 3 onward has much less noticeable film grain, due to the differences in set lighting and film stock used.

14. GameOn

GameOn Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It's because PAL had higher resolution and better colour stability than NTSC. US shows like TNG that were originally mastered at 480i for NTSC and had to be upscaled by 20% to 576i for PAL.

15. Chris2005

Chris2005 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I can't quite understand who thought up interlaced... I can't stand watching interlaced footage... give me progressive any day.

16. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

It was a technical limitation. The phosphores in the cathode ray tubes of the period could not remain illuminated if all the scan lines had to be drawn across and down the screen sequentially, so they opted to cut the time in half by doing odd, even scans with the electron beam. :)

17. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Beginning June 30. the German TV channel Tele-5 is broadcasting remastered TNG in HD. SD broadcast will be Free-TV, HD costs additional money.

18. Salinga

CBS Digital & Star Trek The Next Generation Restoration (FXguide TV, Episode 161)

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPHP5izB8MU[/yt]

19. Reeborg

Reeborg Commander Red Shirt

So I wonder how they do it. Will the SD be from the old master/edition or is there a possible downscale HD->SD signal???

20. Salinga

Its just a downscale of the channels HD picture to SD. They do it also like this with the X-Files HD broadcast on 7MAXX.