Season ONE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Mutai Sho-Rin, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

To check if they've been replaced, look for the TNG combadge symbol to the left of the disc name on each disc, i.e. "DISC ONE," "DISC THREE," DISC FOUR" and "DISC FIVE."

2. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Does anyone know why the K'T'Inga from "Heart of Glory" had it's "radiator" glow changed from blue to red? I can understand if it may have been a result of bad color-timing during composting (hence the ship going from grey to green,) but I remember this limited edition painting Andrew Probert did. While the date marks it at 1991 (I think, if anyone actually has the print, let us know,) it's not unlike him to persistently use the elements and concepts he laid down when he was Art Director during Season 1 in later works about TNG. His most recent painting of the Calypso for the 2010 SOTL is entirely from the perspective of Season 1 (uniform design, the color of the yacht being the blue-green pattern of the actual ship, Picard smiling, etc.)

Plus, the Klingon ship having Federation markings actually makes perfect sense given Season 1's take on the relationship between Klingons and the Federation (that they were full members), as well as the Enterprise-B being unmodified.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  3. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know for sure, but if I were working on the project I certainly would have chalked up the original blue as a mistake rather than the effects team's intent. (Isn't that another reuse of the TMP footage, rather than a new shot?)

4. Maxwell Everett

Yep, that's the original Apogee VistaVision footage from Star Trek: The Motion Picture that was pulled from storage and re-scanned for TNG-R. You can see the element breakdown over at TrekCore:

http://trekcore.com/blog/2012/10/exclusive-trekcore-interviews-cbs-digital-part-iv/

It looks like the folks at CBS-Digital forgot to change the original red glow to blue to match how it was altered to look on TNG in 1988. They just went with the elements as originally shot in 1979. :)

5. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe when they do the Super-Special-Awesome-Anniversary Re-release, they can also "accidentally" fix HTVs mess of Season 2.

6. picard_2305

picard_2305 Lieutenant Red Shirt

It seems that it was a good thing I held on to my original copy of season 1 of TNG on blu ray. Had a fault with disc 6 on the replacement set, it skipped and got it cleaned, data corrupted.

Thank god disc 6 was not one of the faulty errored discs so just did a switch over.

7. picard_2305

picard_2305 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I think switching disc over is better than spending £40 just to get things consistent, money which I want to keep for Season 5.

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

I popped open my season one set to watch an episode and realized my Best Buy receipt from July 24, 2012 was still in there. :lol:

9. Saxman1

Saxman1 Commodore Commodore

I know I'm way late to the party, but am I correct in assuming they didn't redo any of the effects/ship shots for TNG? I bought TNG season 1 on blu ray used and have yet to watch it. I'm working my way through TOS on blu ray (about to start season 3) and am totally knocked out. In a way, the cleaned up visuals and great ship and effects shots negate some of the datedness to me. Thanks for your responses.

10. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Select shots of the ship which couldn't be found have been replaced with CGI. All visual F/X like phaser, transporters, etc have been recreated using CGI since all the original F/X were created in SD only.

11. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

There is one shot of the Enterprise in "Encounter at Farpoint" where we see the Enterprise delivers an energy beam onto Farpoint station that reveals the squidy space creature. That shot of the Enterprise is not only new, but the beam itself now emits from the actual phaser array instead of the Captain's Yacht (Center of the saucer section). So it's both a redo and a fix.

What makes this change a bit sad is that after using the same CGI shot of the Enterprise for "Code of Honor", the restoration team actually found the footage for the model shots of the Enterprise from that angle, so every episode after "Code of Honor" now features the real model shot instead of the CGI shot.

12. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Encounter at Farpoint had three missing shots that were replaced with CGI - two of which were found and used in later episodes.

1 - side view of Enterprise at warp - found
    http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x01/farpoint_hd_193.jpg
    http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x15/11001001_hd_355.jpg

2 - saucer separation from underside - not found
    http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x01/farpoint_hd_197.jpg

3 - ship from below, shooting energy beam - found
    http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x01/farpoint_hd_863.jpg
    http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/3x06/booby_trap_hd_224.jpg

13. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt

14. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

It's too bad that past episodes are unlikely to be redone. I was sure that when work on S3 was being done that they would get around to restoring the opening shot of "Sins of the Father", since they had found the original shot of the Enterprise during the first season. Instead, it's the same CGI effect as seen in the sampler, the only thing they redid was the credits.

15. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A little off topic, but X-Files is now available in HD - at least from some TV stations (like one here in Germany).

For TATV the HD transfer used this area of the TNG film frame:
    [​IMG]

And it seems, for the HD transfer of the X-Files they chose exactly that area for the complete transfer from 4:3 to 16:9:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/58612
    [​IMG]

16. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

But in fixing the shot, they made a new error by -- for some reason -- erasing all the windows on the saucer rim.
    Weren't the transporter sparkles a practical effect? I thought they used the original film elements.

17. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

That's only one of the problems. Honestly, the whole shot looks pretty dodgy. It looks like a photoshop comp made up of all different sources, and not quite finished either.

18. GameOn

GameOn Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

According to Ex Astris Scientia TATV was only 1.68:1 and then stretched to 1.78:1. I wonder it they did something similar with X-Files or just cropped to 1.78:1

19. Maxwell Everett

No, there's no stretching or geometric distortion on HD X-Files. The negative really is cropped to 1.78:1. :)

20. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Just chiming in here. Rewatched the Re energizing documentary from the first disc. It just struck me again how amazing this project is. We are really lucky as Trek fans.