Windows Vista Problems WITH Solutions

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Nov 25, 2007.

1. FatherRob

FatherRob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: SFC I and II

Well, I finally got it to install after wiping the HD and reinstalling Windows Vista and SP1. Now it locks up on the Bink Video Player that plays the opening movie.

Any help on this?

Rob+

2. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know this is way after you posted this comment, but I have to say that this thrills me. I just got a new computer, and went with Vista because XP now costs a ton more. My biggest concern, though, is that Vista would wreak havoc on my games since it was meant as a gaming computer. But, if SP1 makes it work great/ better, then I look forward to trying my first game in a couple of hours!

3. The Solitary

The Solitary Cadet Newbie

Hi all,

Hope you're all ok.

I'm new here (first post!), and I've had a look around, but can't seem to find what I'm looking for, so apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere but I recently managed to track down the CD editions of both 25th anniversary and Judgment Rites. I can't seem to get either to work though. I'm on Vista home premium.

I'm a complete novice with Dosbox and as such, I have very little idea what I'm doing. I manage to boot up each game simply by performing a mount on the CD drive and going stright to the program (such as STARTREK.EXE on 25th ann.), but The mouse pointer doesn't seem to be working and I'm getting only basic sound. I've run the setup exe in the hope that it would work, but I have no clue as what to enter and if its saves as its the same every time (and NO sound whatsoever on Judgment Rites) I purchased the CD versions in order to hear the cast voices but I can't figure it out. Does anyone know how I can sort it out? I'm desperate to play these games!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

4. alfredog1976

alfredog1976 Cadet Newbie

Hello Fellow trekkers!

Just wanted to share how I got some of my old DOS Star Trek games to work! (I have Vista Ultimate 64-bit) Thanks to J. Allen and some other sources, I got Star Trek: A Final Unity using the following steps (Credit J. Allen for some of these steps):

1. Download and install DosBox. Latest version. (I used 0.72)

2. Create a directory for the game. Example: C:\oldgames\STTNG.

3. Using windows explorer, copy all of the contents from the game CD to the new directory created above.

4. Create a new folder under the new directory called savegame. Example: C:\oldgames\STTNG\savegame.

5. Unzip the folder within the new directory called STTNGINS.ZIP. It will ask to overwrite one file, let it overwrite the file or choose not to, it wont matter.

6. Download "STNNG.ini" from following link (I did not see the file in the STTNG directory, I am assuming it gets created during install):
    http://web.archive.org/web/20070402060924/http://www.emulator-empire.com/reviewfiles/STTNG.INI

7. Modify "STTNG.INI" by changing the line "CD=C:\FUIns\" to "CD=C:\STTNG\". (You will no longer need to put CD in after you modify this line)

8. Start DosBox and mount the C drive (example: "MOUNT C C:\oldgames).

9. Change into "STTNG" directory, type "STTNG" and you should be good to go!

5. Jdfimage

Jdfimage Cadet Newbie

Hi! New to the forum and a complete noob to DosBox but in reference to the solution above I have tried it step by step and each time I run the Install.exe or the setup.exe I get both an 'error' on the extended memory and on the CD Rom speed when the little Hologbyte system check runs.

I tried running the Install on the CD after having mounted the CDrom Drive in Dos Box and it only gave me the 'error' on the CD Rom speed.

Any help would be appreciated. I am in Vista Home Premium FYI.

6. jha5as

jha5as Cadet Newbie

Hey guys, any idea how to get star trek armada running on Vista? It installs fine but when I try to start it an error box comes up that says "sorry there is not enough memory to continue. Please make sure that you have at least 50mb free on your hrd drive and that virtual memory is not disabled". Now i'll be honest, I'm not entirely sure what this means but either way it strikes me as a little odd since it's a new computer and i KNOW it must have enough memory. Any ideas anyone?

7. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Hi guys, my question is sort of related to the topic, so I'm hoping you can help. Last week I got a new laptop with Vista pre-installed. So far my system is working, with a few minor differnces, but one thing I'm having a problem with is the YouTube channel over at TrekCore. Every time I attempt to play a video, I get a message saying "Install missing plug-ins", which is Adobe reader or Flash player. I have downloaded Adobe 10 from it's site about 12 times, and still can't watch these videos.

Can you guys help? All answers or suggestions both welcome and appreicated.

8. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jesus Christ. I can't get anything that was produced before 2006 installed on Vista. The install programs hide and get lost as a "stopped process" that I had to dig through program manager to find.

Surely I can turn all these friggin settings off, right? This Vista is worse than a fucking marriage. No, scratch that. My wife gives me far less grief than Vista.

I can't even install my old versions of Photoshop, Flash and Dreamweaver, let alone my old Star Trek games.

It's a brand new laptop with a spanking new install. Any help on how to move forward would be great. I have already run as an administrator as well as changed the compatibility settings. Nothing.

Acer Aspire
    AMD Athalon 64x2 dual core processor
    (2.0GHz, 1MB L2 cache)
    1408 MB ATI Radeon HD Graphics HyperMemory
    3 GB DDR

EDIT: I am using a mounting program called Virtual Clone Drive. Is there a better one for Vista I should use?

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  9. kustirider2

kustirider2 Commander Red Shirt

I downloaded the Star Trek: Hidden Evil demo (I am running Vista), It looks like its installing but If I open up Task Manager it shows its just in the background doing nothing. I left it for 30 mins to see if it would do anything, But it didnt install (No desktop shortcut, Not in 'all programs' or program files)

I really want to play it, but I just don't know how :( Can anyone help me?

Also; This is probably gonna sound stupid, But what is an emulator? and do I need one to play this demo?

10. Major Chord

Major Chord Choir Boy Extraordinaire Captain

^An emulator is a program that allows you to play games from other systems on your system (there are some emulators, for instance, that allow you to play NES games on your PC).

I was going to create a new thread for my questions, but then I saw this thread. My family recently bought a new computer, one which the salesman at Best Buy insisted had good gaming capability (something which I'm starting to doubt, because Call of Duty 4 runs quite choppy on it), so I figured it ws about time I pick up some Trek PC games. The last Trek PC game I purchased was Starfleet Command II; Orion Pirates, so I figured it was time to see what else is out there. My question is will Star Trek: Elite Force II, and Star Trek Legacy work on my system. Running Vista, here are the specifications.

Windows VistaHome Premium Service Pack 1
    AMD Phenom 9150e Quad Core Processor, 1.80 GHz
    4 GB RAM
    64 bit Operating System.

Something tells me that I have more than enough capability to run the games, but I want to be sure that that they work on Vista before I go out and buy them.

11. rahullak

rahullak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hi,

I am having trouble with the Star Trek: Hidden Evil game.
    I didn't have any trouble installing it, and used the Win XP/2000 compatibility to make it work.

The trouble is the Save game feature. It just won't work. Every time I save, quit the game and try to load game, the file/entry for the save is gone. Actually, even without quitting, if I save the game play for a while and go back to load the saved game, I still cannot see the saved game. This is a bit annoying since it is a bit hard to finish the entire game at one stretch the first time.

I was wondering if anyone has encountered this rather peculiar problem. Thanks.

12. patnonono

patnonono Cadet Newbie

Hi, just to see if anybody has a copy of the first disk of Klingon Academy as my wife lost it in a move to Canada, I love this game so much, I love to mod away.

13. AthanisTree

AthanisTree Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

@ Anyone with problems: A politely-meant reminder to post a decent list of system specs alongside your problem ( CPU type/model + speed, Amount of Ram, HD space Used/Free, Graphics Chip/Card type/Model + Ram amount, Operating System and any Service Packs installed. Graphics Drivers too... though anyone playing with a non-ATI/ NVidia card, you'd be best start running for the hills :)

Anyhow, nuff' of the patronising, onto my problem.

Have Star Trek: New Worlds, occasionally pop it in for a play BUT now that I've Windows Vista SP1 on the laptop, it won't function under any compatibility mode. The movies work, the menu loads but if I attempt to start a game it'll typically display an "Abnormal Program error" With the pop-up box header "Microsoft Runtime C++ library"...

It's damned irritating.. does anyone have any pointers/ ideas? I know it's a billion light-year long shot, but still...

CPU: Intel Core2 Duo 2.0 Ghz
    GPU: ATI Mobility RadeonHD 3470 256 Ram (1536mb Hypermemory)
    RAM: 4GB DDR2

Blu-Ray Drive,
    Current ATI Radeon Drivers... modded by DriverHeaven (Helpfully :P )

*Sigh* Any takers for this one... or any of the above problems?

14. AthanisTree

Argh, I forgot to reply to the_Andorian!

Your computer specs SEEM powerful enough but it would be helpful to know the exact Make/Model of your graphics card, the amount of RAM memory that it uses and your current edition of the card's software drivers...

I suspect the vendor has pulled a fast one on you... (Has happened to myself before, to my utter shame...) :S

15. Major Chord

Major Chord Choir Boy Extraordinaire Captain

^Upon conferring with my aunt, who is well versed in these matters, I suspect that to be the case. This PC has an integrated graphics card, whatever that means...so according to her, it just doesn't have the juice to handle serious gaming. :vulcan: I really want to find that sales guy...:klingon:

16. AdAstra

AdAstra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My idea is also a long-shot, but you could try installing Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86). I know that this program gets installed a lot by games and other applications, so maybe it lost some functionality when installing SP1?

Good luck!

17. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You would be correct that integrated cards can't really do gaming well. All that it really means is that rather than being its own card, it is a part of the motherboard. Because of this, it shares all of the mobo's resources (processor, etc), and doesn't really have space for the more fancy features. On the other hand, an actual video card has its own processor and sometimes it's own cooling system, and the ability to do some of the more fancy stuff. You can buy a card to go into your computer for a decent price, though looking back on your specs, I would also advise a slightly more powerful processor as well.

18. AthanisTree

Thanks for the idea AdAstra, tried the install but to no avail :(

Maybe a hunt for a copy of Win XP (for a special 'old game partition' install would do it. Game, surprisingly, worked rather well on it. Well, as well as ST:NW was ever designed to run :rolleyes:

If I might make a further, 'wagging finger' suggestion to ANYONE considering using a new PC for gaming...

PLEASE ensure that you interrogate the minions at your respective PC outlet for every useful scrap of data concerning the core components of the machine...

Kindly avoid GFX chips made by SiS, Matrox (if they're even going still..) or Intel : Nvidia and Ati/AMD are the dedicated game-card makers. Integrated chipsets in laptops are usually a given and most models made by Nvidia or Ati/AMD far outweigh the Intel/SiS chipsets.

Also, Pentium 4, Amd Sempron, Celeron and VIA processors are... well.

Old.

Intel Core, Core Duo, Core Quad, Core i7 or AMD Phenom x2, x3 or x4 processors will usually work best for you. (May have missed a few..? )

As for RAM, with any version of Win Vista, minimum needs to be 2 GB of, at least, DDR2 RAM for decent performance. DDR3 has a price premium :S, just FYI.

And use a decent Antivirus/ Firewall. Some people still don't... I mean, really, why?

:P Have rambled- sorry, just got to enjoying the dissemination of some vaguely useful knowledge!

BTW: Anyone attempting to play Star Trek Generations, just a suggestion: Backup the Savegames periodically, it seems to delete the files randomly... 0_o

19. AdAstra

AdAstra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Windows 7 will have an XP emulator/virtual machine built-in, so you can wait for that to come and play NW when it's out. :)

20. AthanisTree

:rommie: Much as Win7 seems like a holy-cow Nirvana! after struggling with Vista for over a year (has it been... so... long >_<), am really not up for another OS swap... but!

Yes, but! :)

Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 + a copy of Windows 98, am going to try that, see if New Worlds will run on it... Am slightly doubtful but have only to wait for the Win98 CD to arrive. Will keep the thread informed of the inevitable BSD crash, Vista corruption and general nuclear fallout... :P

One question: How many of you have played New Worlds before... I'm becoming fanatic about getting it to work and the complete lack on the web of data about the game is... sad. :shifty: