Face Off To Feature Trek Makeup

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by TrekToday, Sep 1, 2015.

1. TrekToday

TrekToday Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tonight on Face Off, three Star Trek makeup artists responsible for Klingon makeup from Star Trek: The Motion Picture through Star Trek...

More...

2. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Cool. Nice to know. My DVR is now set.

3. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

It's also being shown on "Space" in Canada. Same time. PVRing now.

4. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Prepare for disappointment if you're watching purely for a Trek special. Ve, Michael, and Neville are all regulars on the show anyway, so the Klingon connection was always there. And the make-up they're doing will almost certainly not be Trek related.

5. Chronos

Chronos Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Still, it will be interesting to see their work. Face Off definitely isn't the worst show on television right now -- it's actually pretty fun to watch.

6. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I watch it too. It's refreshing to see a contest based "reality" show that doesn't do the bickering, backstabbing routine. And it did turn out to have one or two Trek surprises after all...Frakes and Dorn make appearances. :)

7. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If I heard the host correctly, the judges won't be judging Klingon makeup, but rather a progressive advanced design of the competitors' makeups taken from an earlier cycle, designs for fifties era aliens. Essentially, the competitors have to redesign their fifties era designs for a more modern interpretation, and the "Klingon Krew" judges will evaluate those efforts.

8. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Perhaps they will incidentally discuss the challenges of update aliens in NuTrek?

9. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

Such a good show. I like the creativity expressed and the Trek episode was fun. The first challenge was to create a make-up that was a throwback to the cheaply done early days of Trek and other 60's shows. Then the second challenge was to update their first make-up to a modern version. Frakes gave suggestions to the contestants to improve their make-ups and Dorn was a guest judge.

10. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Finally got around to watching this. Tosk was right in that it wasn't a Trek special, but in the end it didn't matter. It's now on our permanent PVR tape list.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  11. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Still one of the best "reality" TV shows out there with the least amount of manufactured drama to fill the empty spaces. Sure, there are occasional melt-downs when molds break and polyfoam cowl appliances tear, but on the whole it's definitely a cut-above other reality dreck, IMO.

I do kind of miss the Henson Creature Shop Challenge, Hot Set and Hollywood Treasure shows. They only seemed to last one season each but provided an interesting view on their own particular niche topics. Heroes of Cosplay lasted a little longer, but I think finally died a somewhat painful death while painting the Cosplay crowd in a not-too-favorable light during its run.

12. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Only 12 eps though. I agree that it died pretty painfully. Somewhere around the middle you start to get sick of the painfully obvious drama creation. Nothing but whining about everything. :)