Ongoing Community Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral_Young, Jan 21, 2011.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

It's now....

#Fiveseasonsamovieandanetflixminiseriesortwo

2. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Community though always left off at a reasonable place that they could have easily ended the series on. A lot of series that end after one season leave off on cliffhangers and don't resolve any of their stories.

Kind of how I enjoyed Flashforward the one year it was on, but once the writing was on the wall they would not get renewed they should have ended on a real conclusion instead of an advertisement for a nonexistent next season. It's hard to rewatch a show you know never got properly finished.

3. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, from the get-go, Harmon & Co. seemed committed to making each season "complete" (for want of a better word). And Seasons 3, 4 and 5 all ended with episodes that would make very strong series finales. I'm sad to see the show end, but I applaud all involved for not leaving fans hanging.

4. bigdaddy

I'd love 13 more, but I love the ending, it's fine. I'm happy with the 97 episodes, most of season 4 isn't horrible. So if we get a Hulu save or not I'll be happy.

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

97?

####.

Surely a tv movie they can air as three episodes is called for?

6. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Dan Harmon penned a letter to the fans:

7. bigdaddy

That was the best letter ever. :lol:

8. AgentCoop

God, I fucking love Dan Harmon.

9. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm the G-man and I approve this message

10. JirinPanthosa

That was a great response to fans, it's refreshing to see a show producer actually say honestly how he's feeling. :)

What episode is he referring to by that one episode that sucked? The only non-S4 episode I really skip is the Troy's grandmother episode.

11. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Whooosh.

12. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

He's right about Rick & Morty. I like Community, but I LOVE Rick & Morty. His energy is better spent on that, than trying to bring back a show that already had its second and third chances.

13. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Absolutely brilliant response from Harmon. Yes, if you have not checked out Rick and Morty, I highly recommend.

:lol:

14. JirinPanthosa

Was that meant to be making fun of fans who tweet about every bad episode? I assumed it was some specific trend for some episode people vocally hated, because I don't follow Twitter. :)

15. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

He's speaking about the episode you hated. Not the general "you" of the whole audience, but the specific "you", ie, you. He's talking directly to you, and apologizing for that one episode you didn't like.

It's like when someone says "Hey, how about that local sports team?"

16. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

I think he was referring to just about any episode that any of the fans disliked, not exclusive to the Twitter-verse or any specific episode. The guy is really funny.

17. JirinPanthosa

Heh, I assumed it was some kind of Twitterverse reference.

Well, at least he apologized for the Troy's grandmother episode. ;) Britta letting an old woman spank her to prove how culturally tolerant she is sounds like a cool idea in principle, but on screen it just doesn't work. Also notice Abed's father never appeared again after the episode.

18. AgentCoop

^That episode features one of my favorite moments in the entire series: "I don't understand you, Britta! I don't understand you at all!"

I have rarely laughed at any sitcom as hard as I laughed at that.

19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Joel on the soup tonight... "Hello everyone and welcome to a new episode of Community... No, wait that's not right?"

10 minutes later... "And they're exaggerating, there isn't such a horrible stigma attached to the E! network, why I'm on a great show on another network and E! hasn't dragged down my credibility... Oh, that's right."

20. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Personally, I can't get too worked up over this cancellation. While the show continues to surprise and pleasure me in various ways, I knew from the outset that this day would come. And, honestly, it came 2 years later than I expected and 4 years later than any of us had any right to hope.

What can I say? After the agony of Wonderfalls' cancellation, I feel like any show is insanely blessed to last more than 4 episodes.

If it weren't for that scene, I might never have watched the show at all. My first introduction to the show was a random Youtube video of a bunch of different scenes of Troy crying. The image of this blonde woman being whipped in the ass by an elderly black woman while the guy from Mystery Team can't stop crying, totally divorced from any context, immediately stood out in my mind. I knew right then and there that I had to watch this show if only to find out what the hell was going on in that scene!

Yeah. Joss Whedon did a similar thing in the liner notes of one of the Buffy DVDs. Something like, "We hope you enjoy these 21 great episodes. And that 1 crappy one. Sorry. I don't know what we where thinking. I guess we were tired."