Characters from the TV shows who should have appeared in the movies

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by The Overlord, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

Re: Characters from the TV shows who should have appeared in the movie

Glorified cameos really don't serve much dramatic purpose. They're simply bones thrown to a small segment of the audience.

And Janeway's promotion to admiral for getting her crew home was silly.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  2. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Isn't that basically why Starfleet made Kirk an Admiral after his five year mission?

3. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

No, they did that to get him to stop breaking the Prime Directive. Plus Temporal Investigations sent in seventeen complaints about him. Starfleet had to do SOMETHING.

4. Winterwind

I don't think Janeway's command record would be anywhere near as distinguished as Kirk's. And as the character was written, as much as I enjoy Voyager, I really think a pysch evaluation should have removed her from command. Volatile mood swings and extreme inconsistency.

Out of universe of course, she was only promoted to give her a glorified cameo in a movie.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Agreed.

But I wouldn't have prosecuted her, I would've given her a nice job rubber-stamping requisitions for bio-neural gelpack tubing.

6. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

What would she have added to them though? Even before you consider that she didn't exactly part with the Enterprise on good terms.

7. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

For me the Maquis were the most interesting group in all of ModernTrek, by far.

A surviving splinter group of Maquis headed by her would have made a far more interesting 'nemesis' than miniPicard, especially if it turned out they weren't working entirely at cross purposes.

If you wanted a better INS, then when it came to asking hard ethical questions, it'd be better to do it with Ro on the other side of the table than the Admiral of the week and the Facelift of the week.

And Forbes is sufficiently outasight as an actress that you wouldn't need to do much backstory explanation, because you could sell her convictions based on an expression.

Hadn't ever thought about this till now, but yeah, Ro absolutely could have made a huge dif in the TNG films. The character alone brings a conviction that the TNG films pretty much lack (except maybe Soran in GEN, where it doesn't matter because it is hopeless, and in FC, where Picard's convictions are overstated, overplayed and downright embarrassing.)

Yeah, the bit about needing to believe in something from SERENTIY sort of shows what TNG films only pay lip service to, because even when there is blood spilled, the pain in the drama doesn't seem to really hurt. Then again, I think Whedon would have fled in horror at having to deal with the TNG characters, except maybe Riker on a very good day. His take on things seems much more TOS (as in REAL) Trek.

8. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.

I actually keep forgetting that she left in Preemptive Strike.

As long as we're on hypotheticals, that's another thing I would have changed. Have her remain loyal to, if not Starfleet, then at least Picard.

It would have helped the series and especially the movies to have a female character not stuck in the feminine "healer" position. To have a female discussing tactics and such.

9. Winterwind

Or at least better acting abilities than McFadden and Sirtis.

And S1 did have Crosby doing exactly that, tactics... but again, not the most gifted actress. And I like Yar better than Crusher or Troi.

10. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.

Yeah, another Yar fan here. I wish Yesterday's Enterprise could have been used to somehow return her to the proper timeline