‘Conan The Barbarian' and Arnold Reunited: Universal Reboots Franchise

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: ‘Conan The Barbarian' and Arnold Reunited: Universal Reboots Franc

Despite owning them both I've not seen them recently enough, nor are they so entrenched in me that I can recall if Destroyer referenced Barbarian. One of the few things I recall is Destroyer ending with Conan on the throne, is that what they seek to avoid by "ignoring" it? For all intents and purposes Legend could just be a standalone story anyway, not sure why it has to reference Barbarian.

2. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

It did; it referenced Valeria and her death.

Conan the Barbarian ended the same way, as flavaflav said.

3. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston

Destroyer was about mourning Valeria, Sandahl Bergman's character in the first movie. Conan takes the job from the Queen when she promises she can bring Valeria back from the dead. It doesn't work out, of course, and Conan travels on, but he didn't become King in that movie. Both films use Conan on a throne at the end as if to say these films were stories being told at his royal court.

4. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

No o0ne's written a proper Conan movie, and for that they have to go back to REH and get it right.

5. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

6. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

I just finished up 'The Conquering Sword of Conan' a few days ago and I can't wait for this new movie. After going through all the Conan stories, it seems Arnold really was a great choice to play the character. I might have mentioned this before when I first started reading the books, but throughout all the stories, Conan was portrayed as a huge (physically) beer guzzling, wisecracking, woman loving, Germanic/Northern European embodiment of death dealing... and that's exactly what Arnold brought. I really can't see why some peeps said what's-his-name from the reboot a few years back was closer to what was in the books. He wasn't.... at all.

I'd love to see the movie use one of Howard's "King" stories. Something like "The Scarlet Citadel". To me, that seems to be the defining King Conan story. I'd love to see "Beyond the Black River" adapted too, though Arnold may be too old to play that era's Conan. Not sure.

Anyway, it's good to see Arnold is in good shape. Definitely fit enough for a King Conan story.

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

8. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Even if he doesn't have a gut it's hard not to have saggy skin at 66.

9. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Escape Plan is my next "must see movie", haven't been to the theater in a month. I'm going cause those stars are a guilty pleasure I enjoy. It'll be bonus if the film's story is decent.