Old memory of a science fiction scene... what is it?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Danoz, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Danoz

Danoz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have a childhood memory of seeing this in a science fiction show/movie... it would have been a super long time ago, but the scene just popped into my head and I have very little clue what it's from. Let me know if it rings a bell...

A guy (maybe from the present) is with a girl (I think from the future?) -- and she casually asks him if he wants to have sex. Somehow a proposition is made, and when he starts to strip down naked she totally flips out and leaves, because apparently "sex" in whatever time this is is done virtually (and isn't a very big deal). She is completely disgusted and shocked that he was thinking about real sex.

I don't think I made this up... it has to be from something!

2. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Could it be Woody Allen's Sleeper?

Seems like there was a scene similar to that (they had a machine for sex).

3. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Depending on how long ago I'd have suggested Demolition Man, though that's only about 20 years ago now.

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Sounds like Demolition Man with Sylvester Stallone and Sandra Bullock.

This is kind of a scifi cliche, though. They did a variant on it in Barbarella, too. And Zardoz, I believe.

Sex is one of those "primitive" things advanced futuristic civilizations always try to improve on. :)

5. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sounds very much like an incident from Isaac Asimov's The Naked Sun, given the specification of "virtual." But I didn't watch much Max Headroom etc.
    Re Demolition Man and Barbarella, it's hard to forget Stallone or Fonda, isn't it?

6. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's from Demolition Man. It's one of those so-bad-it's-good movies. Especially a really over the top Wesley Snipes sells it for me. :D

7. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

8. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that sounds like Demolition Man. Which actually wasn't that bad a film. Certainly funnier and wittier than Judge Dredd's 1990s film.

9. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

I'd say the problem of the 90s Judge Dredd movie was that it tried to be funny and witty in the vein of Demolition Man, when the humor of JD is actually quite different.

10. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They filmed the Taco Bell scene where I worked. There was a lot more filmed than appeared in the film. Nifty looking cars, and a big window getting crashed through by a guy on a motorcycle. And Stallone is SHORT! I could see over his shoulder, down to a screen where they were watching footage. I was barely over 5' then, making him no more than 5' 6". (I'm 5' 1" now. I grew 1/2 inch after leaving that job. Shitty job in a number of ways.)

11. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Cool. What kind of business was it where you worked that they changed into the future Taco Bell?

12. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

"Boning, The Wild Mambo, The Hunka Chunka..."

:eek:

:rommie:

13. Danoz

Danoz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yup, this is definitely it. It was such an obscure memory that I didn't see it being Bullock and Stallone! I should give this a watch, I didn't think I had ever seen it (but apparently I saw this scene years ago haha). Thanks all

14. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

I agree!
    I also thought Stallone's character swearing to get penalty slips so he had toilet paper was hysterical.

15. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I see GregCox already mentioned Barbarella (played by Jane Fonda in 1968), but here the scene in a bit more detail.

After crashing upon a planet searching for a scientist named Durand-Durand (yes, the 80s band modified the spelling and used it as their name), a local inhabitant (wearing some kind of thick fur coat) repairs her ship. As payment, he he request that she have sex with him. Now, on Earth, humans "make love" by taking a pill and then pressing their hands together. You know they've succeeded when their hair "fluffs". So Barbarella is shocked when the man starts to remove his coat (and revealing he has nearly as much body hair himself). She explains the way she normally does it and he declines and states he wants to make love the "natural" way. With a look of bemusement, Barb' replies, "Well, if you must." and the scene cuts to an exterior shot of his sled slowly dripping in a wide circle as they consumate the act. Afterwards, he emerges from the sled wearing a feather boa and absent-mindedly humming to herself, looking utterly content.

Sincerely,

Bill

16. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

At least the future hasn't delivered us the three shells method ... yet.

17. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have to say that Sandra Bullock looks really nice in that robe she is wearing;):)

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Stallone says he knows how the three seashell method was supposed to work, and I think it's disgusting:

You use two of the shells as 'pinchers' and scrape what's left with the third.

Now this is about a thousand times more disgusting, less safe and less sanitary than toilet paper, so obviously Stallone's full of BS in that regard. :barf: I prefer to think that the seashells somehow generate a low level sonic field that gets you clean, kind of like a Trek sonic shower.

19. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's another variant on that scene in the 1980s mini series Something is Out There (though I don't think that'll be what the OP is thinking of: in this version, the telepathic woman freaks out after getting a mental flash that he's thinking of doing it physically).

20. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

IIRC, there was a scene that mentioned Stallone's character had a daughter that he lost track of when he got put on ice - a statement that felt like a little more than just some irrelevant throw-away line about his background. Thing is, I got the impression that Bullock's character was supposed to be that lost daughter, which would have obviously made that other scene really icky. Was there an earlier version of the script that would have had them discover, in quite a cliche'd and awkward manner at the end, that they were, in fact, related?