My first voyage with Voyager

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Qutluch, Apr 14, 2012.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are those scenes anywhere online?

2. Mareika

Mareika Captain Captain

Yes they are.
    Watch the season four trailer and look at 0:25 , the scenes between Janeway and Chakotay. This scenes they didn`t show.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LghbXH7Zm0

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ugh that girlish smile is awful there! Very nice acting from KM though, made me wish we'd seen it for that! And why did they have the FC theme music for this trailer? Are there any other scenes online? Oh and thanks for the link, I never knew this!

4. Qutluch

Qutluch Commander Red Shirt

Thanks for the insights. I will have to keep my eyes peeled on the Janeway/Seven relationship to see if I can figure out my opinion of their relationship! I am kind of curious as to see if she becomes Neelix's pal, or if she really dislikes him because he is too energetic. I feel like she is going to need one good friend. Neelix had Kes. B'Elanna has Paris. Kim had Paris...god, I hope Seven does not go for Kim....eeek....

Sorry I disappeared for so long, new boss at work and all that crap. I am back with a venegenace though (at least on the weekends)!

5. Qutluch

Awesome, kind of wish they would have included that!

6. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well you've already seen Revulsion haven't you? Kim had his chance. :lol:

7. Qutluch

It is a good indication, but she could always, however unfortunate, change her mind. I am looking forward to her interactions with the crew; particularly Neelix and Tuvok. I do like her interactions with the Doc! She fits his superiority complex!

8. Qutluch

Retrospect

I feel like they kind of overdid it with the target buoy. The buoy was huge if you look at it in comparison to Voyager. Janeway and Kovin strike a deal, and Janeway buys a buoy. Chakotay asks Seven to work on integrating the systems, and she does not want to. Chakotay threatens her with the Captain’s respect, and she gives in and goes to do what Chakotay asked of her.

Seven punches Kovin in a small dispute, and when Janeway goes to talk to Kovin in the med room she apologizes to him, but it was really half assed. Janeway talks to Seven, and explains to her that she needs to think before she acts.

Seven has buried memories. The Doc helps her to find out what they are, and it turns out that while Paris and Seven were testing fire arms on the planet Kovin took her to a laboratory and shot her with a small weapon in order to incapacitate her. They took Borg technology from her and stimulated implants in her arms. Then they gave her a drug to suppress her memories….supposedly.

Okay, this episode is bullshit. Tuvok questions the extracted memories and Janeway, rather than being outraged that one of her crew was attacked, asks if there is any evidence. When Tom’s memories were messed with and he was put up for murder the crew was completely on his side and Tuvok immediately did a mind meld with him in order to provide the necessary evidence.

With Seven, the Doc had to go to bat for her. I call BS. Tuvok could have mind melded with her immediately and the whole discussion would have been null and void! Tuvok should have been in charge of this investigation the whole time.

Favorite part: When the Doc explains to Seven that they have to accept the fact that few life forms will meet their standards.

Least favorite part: The lack of the crew’s immediate outrage, and the idea that Tuvok would mindmeld with Paris to prove his innocence, but not Seven!

9. Qutluch

The Killing Game Parts 1 & 2

Janeway as a Klingon…the makeup looks better on B’Elanna! My immediate thought when I saw her as Klingon, well, my hope, was that she was blowing off steam because she felt remorse/guilt over Kavon’s death in the last episode, but...

So, I was not quite sure what was going on in the beginning. Apparently, they were taken over and reprogramed…. We see a nice WWII, bar scene. Seven is a great singer! Apparently, the Hirogen have taken over the ship and are using most of the crew as simulations that they can hunt and re-hunt under specific circumstances. The on-going circumstance is France in WWII. Janeway is leading the French Resistance in her simulation. Tuvok, Neelix, and Seven are assisting Janeway. B’Elanna is apparently pregnant with a German soldier. Kim and the Doc are “free” on VOY. The Doc has to keep repairing the crew or the prey each time they are injured. (You would think that after a while their injuries would begin to hurt their bodies, even if the Doc can keep repairing their bodies). Kim is in charge of keeping the ship and the holodeck simulations running.

The Hirogen leader wants to populate Voyager and the holodecks with constant simulations of hunting. This way, the Hirogen could have roots and maintain their hunting lifestyle. He feels that the Hirogen need to end their migrating lifestyle in order to survive.

Part I ends with Janway’s neural transmitter going down (thanks to Kim and the Doc) and now she and Seven know what is going on inside the simulation. I have to give it to Kim, albeit grudgingly, well done this episode, well done….He sticks up for himself against the Hirogen and does not even whine, he is even a little brave…

Part II starts off with Janeway in the ship. She makes a comment that there are holodeck emitters throughout the ship now…hopefully, when this is done Voyager will be able to use the holodeck emitters so the Doc can go through the ship on his own. Although, they are going to have a hell of a time finding enough supplies to fix the ship, I think she made a comment to the Hirogen that it was seven decks. Do they even have the crew left to fix the ship?

Janeway goes through the various holodeck scenes and gets the crew to join her in battle. She even recruits Neelix as a Klingon from Holodeck 1. Neelix, makes a pretty funny Klingon at first, even when his neural transmitter was working. After the transmitter’s go down , with the Doc’s help, Neelix steps up and stops saying please and leads the Klingon’s into battle against the Nazi. In the end, the Voyager crew wins, well kind of. They create a cease fire with the Hirogen and the Hirogen leave with the trophy of the technology needed to make a holodeck simulation of their own if they want to create a new way to hunt.

Overall, great episodes. I like the premise of the Hirogen taking the ship. It even makes sense with the plot that the Hirogen leader is trying to create a constant place where they can hunt. It is a good idea, and it shows the advancement of a different species. As cliché’ as it is to use Nazi’s as the bad guys, they actually pull it off here. I like pleasant surprises and the following struck me as fun and they fit the episode: Kind Neelix makes a decent Klingon when pressed. Kim was actually brave and less whiny. I do like it when the characters develop in ways we do not see in a regular episode. This is the second time this season we see the darker side of Neelix. I like the development of his character recently. They have shown that while his base personality is the Neelix we usually see, he like anyone can get angry when pressed. Kim (which I know most people like far better than I) proved that he could be brave and a leader in rough situations.

Favorite part: I am partial to arc episodes! Also, when the Doc is in the Klingon simulation and the Klingons talk Neelix and Doc into going into battle, the Doc sardonically says, “Tally Ho”. I found this hysterical!

Least favorite part: Once the neurotransmitters were taken off do they remember the whole simulation, everything even from the past weeks? I do not think so based on the crews’ response, but I am not sure. The crew still knew their way around the simulation…

10. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Technically I think it's a well done episode and the studio backlot scenes must have been a nice change for the cast. But I tend to dislike stories which just throw us into a situation and then require a flashback to explain how we got there.

11. Qutluch

[Vis a vis

Tom Paris has been getting stir crazy. He hasn’t been putting his heart into his work, been showing up late to duty, has been skipping his roster time with the doctor, and has been hiding from everyone in the holodeck fixing a 1969 Camaro. Chakotay tells him that he’s turned his life around, but that doesn’t mean that he’s done growing as a person. He must keep working at his life, or he’ll slip back to who he once was.

An alien named Steth pulls out of a “coaxial warp drive” jump, but his engines are overloading. Coaxial warp drives are only theoretical for the federation, so Paris is very excited about it. He asks to help fix the ship and comes up with the idea of fixing the particle problem with a 24th century version of a carburetor. However, the time he’s been slacking off and the time he’s spent with Steth has strained his relationship with B’Elanna. Steth asks him how he likes his life on Voyager, and he tries to sound optimistic about the positive things, but actually sounds angry and ungrateful. Steth, who is a body snatcher, transfers their consciousness and puts him into the shuttle, sending him back to the original planet he came from.

The body snatcher (BS) starts manipulating the crew. He ditches the doctor and then romances B’Elanna. (On a side note, I’m pretty sure B’Elanna is raped by him….they at least insinuate that they were getting romantic…) He gets drunk and threatens Seven, who reports him to Janeway. He’s called before her and tries to talk his way out of it, even saying “You can’t take the word of a Borg over mine!” Janeway orders him to sickbay, but he attacks her. Tuvok runs in and shoots the BS as he’s choking Janeway.

Tom wakes up in Steth’s body, having jumped to the other planet. A warship is waiting for him, and arrests him for body stealing. The REAL Steth, who is trapped in a woman’s body, realizes what has happened, and they fly back to Voyager to catch the alien.

The Doctor has found an alien DNA strain in Tom’s body, but he doesn’t know what it means. Janeway gets a hail from Tom and Steth, trying to explain what happened, but Janeway puts a tractor beam on them, saying that they’re the ones responsible for attacking Tom in the first place. She runs to the shuttle bay, where Seven is adding a coaxial drive to a shuttle. Janeway stuns Seven, revealing the BS has taken her over, and she takes the ship out. Tom figures out what’s happening, and convinces Chakotay by talking about their discussion a few days earlier. Chakotay lets him go, and Paris knocks out the carburetor system he developed, capturing the BS alien. Everyone gets returned to their bodies, and the real Steth says that he’s going to try and retrace all of the BS alien’s victims.

Paris and B’Elanna have one last moment in the garage, where he apologizes for shutting her out. He shows her the finished Camaro, and they get a little romantic time in the car.

Favorite Part: It was a pretty bad ass car, with some excellent 60s throwback lines and lingo.

Least Favorite Part: There were some pretty big plot holes in this episode. B’Elanna is never really angry enough for being stood up by Paris, violated by fake Tom, or for her man being swapped by an alien entity. Janeway was being choked by the alien, but Janeway was the alien at that point. (Yes, it might have finished the process just as Tuvok shot, but it’s still rather weak).

If the coaxial drive works, why isn’t this looked at as a possible way home?

12. R. Star

Retrospect... well this one was basically written as an episode about how Seven overcomes everyone not trusting her. Fairly typical stuff, but you have a good point about the mind meld. Heck, Seven's probably the only person in the crew who wouldn't randomly mind a Vulcan probing through their most private thoughts.

The Killing Game... I dunno, the Nazi bit is just so cliche it ruins the episode for me. To me involving Nazi's as any villain in a supposedly original work is just the ultimate lack of creativity. The over all premise of the episode is interesting, but if the Hunters(and coincidentally the writers) have access to all humanity's history, there are more violent and combative scenarios then playing a Gestapo agent hunting down Anne Frank. The Roman Colosseum, the Mongol invasions, the Napoleonic Wars, the US Civil War, any ancient Greek or Roman campaign, or if you're bound and determined to rip off WW2, use Iwo Jima or some place else in the Pacific that's not so terribly cliche. To say nothing of the ending... what happened to Janeway's... I'll destroy this ship before giving any part of it to the enemy.

Vis a Vis. Ooh, evil body snatcher episode. Wait didn't we do one of these already with Kes? Oh well a bad episode deserves to be copied! So typical mystery element before the big reveal, but the bad guy is thwarted and the reset button is pushed. Pretty cliche and typical material. Oh and that coaxial warp drive was removed from existence by said reset button too.

13. Melakon

Vis a Vis: Star Trek's version of The Hidden I guess, though the movie had better laughs and a more disgusting body transference process.

14. Qutluch

My vote for U.S. History would be the U.S. Civil War. For World History: I like the Roman Coliseum idea!

15. R. Star

Or heck, they could've showed us something we never saw before like the Vulcan Romulan separation. I bet there was a lot of combat there. Or maybe World War 3 or the Eugenics Wars. Flesh out that Trek history a bit better.

16. Qutluch

I like that. The Eugenics War would have been a great option. It would be nice to see the Trek History in action.

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

What about the Bell Riots?

18. R. Star

You mean the Riots we already saw on DS9? Well at least it wouldn't be alien Nazi's.

19. Melakon

They could have done endless variations on the small disturbance at space station K-7 in 2268.

20. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

And in either you could have had Avery Guest Starring.

The difference between DS9 Past Tense and what we'd see in a Voyager recreation is that it would be Histories Gabriel Bell and not Sisko pretending to be Gabriel Bell.

If a Voyager recreation of the Tribble event took place, and millions of hours of actual real security footage was used for source code, then someone playing a Trouble with Tribbles holodeck game is eventually going to run into and recognize a member of the DS9 command staff and wonder what the fuck is going on.