All right, all you JJ-haters! Put your money where your mouth is!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Turd Ferguson, May 8, 2013.

1. Xaios

Xaios Commander Red Shirt

I assume it's okay for us non-haters to also post in this thread. :lol:

Having said that, I certainly wouldn't mind if they slowed down the relentless frenetic pace a bit.

I think I'd keep most of the cast though, they've got good chemistry.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's hard to say. Certainly if there's ever another TV version it's likely to pick up some cues from oldTrek that are being ignored in the current movies, just as TNG used a great deal more of the content of TOS than the TOS-based movies of the 1979-1986 period did. That said, the pre-Abrams, so-called "Prime Universe continuity" will never be revived as such, no.

3. Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh yes, I certainly knew about TNG having episodes where the Enterprise's transmissions back to Command (and vice versa) could take days. I just wonder what a film (or tv series, for that matter) would be like if contact with Starfleet Command was so rare that Kirk and crew were essentially on their own. Or, at the very least, they're well aware they're going to have to do everything on their own, with little instruction from Command.

Again, though, I've really enjoyed the Abrams-verse so far!

4. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

:lol::lol::lol:

Love the bubbles on the horses.

5. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

It all depends on "Do we want Picard to interact with Fleet Admiral #25 or do we just want him to listen? What's in the budget?"

6. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

There's no reason that must be so. Simply the act of rebooting Star Trek doesn't automatically mean it's going to move further away from Roddenberry's original. That may end up being the case, but there's no reason it has to be.

Can't agree with you there. The FX were great, the acting was mostly good, but a few of the characters came off as parodies of the originals, not serious portrayals (Scotty, in particular). The story was just silly. Another Evil Villain(TM) is out for revenge. More time travel. Lots of shooting. Again, Trek was getting dumbed down long before Abrams got a hold of it, but nothings stopping him from doing better.

The one thing that was refreshing about the last film was that Abrams wasn't afraid to take risks. Destroying Vulcan. Killing Spock's mother. Once Vulcan is gone, you feel like anything can happen in the story. It makes you feel like there are real consequences. It's like with the opening scene of "The Untouchables" where a child is killed. From that point on, you don't feel like anyone in the film is safe.

The film looked fantastic, no question. And it's a fun roller-coaster ride if, like with a "Transformers" movie, you check your brain at the door. Star Trek could do a lot better than that.
    Thank God for that.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2013
  7. SheliakBob

SheliakBob Commander Red Shirt

Oh hell. I did this long ago on another Trek forum. Not going to rehash the whole thing here. The short form for my pitch:

TNG film. Drawing on the single idea from the ST09 prelude comics that I really liked, Data is captain of the Enterprise, a much modified but still in her prime E. Brent Spiner still has considerable fan appeal so I'd build around his starring role. Data is an artificial being and should look a little "off" compared to biological humans, which in my opinion makes him an ideal candidate for a CGI motion capture style character. CGI-ing Data removes the main problem of Spiner aging out of the role and effectively keeps Data on the table as long as Spiner is around to do the voice acting.
    I'd use any of the other TNG/DS9/VOY actors who could be talked into appearing for modest salaries. Otherwise, replace with new characters and fresh actors to attract fresh blood to the franchise.

Storyline: The androids from "Mudd's Planet" are back and mounting an invasion of Federation space. Their plan, turn every planet into an easy-going luxury oriented Risa. No guns, no bombs, no orbital bombardments, just thousands of androids, all sexy-pretty-young-happy faced and ready to please. It's a Kindness Offensive and the authorities have no idea just how to stop it. Given a taste of android supplied heaven, most of the inhabitants of the "invaded" planets are enthusiastic supporters of the movement.
    Cast: Seth Rogan as an uprated Mudd Mk. 2. Quick line to cover recasting for my canonista brethren--Mudd had his original biological body replaced with a new android one when he reached an advanced age and his health failed. Now he is the charming/sarcastic face of the android invasion.
    In reality, you know you guessed it..., Lore is behind the whole thing, and really is using the benign invasion plan of Mudd and the Androids to get armies into place so that when he flips a switch and activates their Terminator type programming--the Federation goes up in flames.

Big Finale: Data vs. Lore on/in a ravaged ship decaying out of orbit and headed to a big cratery finish unless the Good Guys can save the day. (total blatant rip off of Revenge of the Sith opener. but hey! people seem to love Star Warsy Trek these days so I 'spect we could get away with it.)

Plan B: Whole new fresh cast playing entirely new characters in the current movie style costumes/sets. no referencing to any specific pre-existing continuity. (Believe they are in the Trek Universe of your choice)--with plot revolving around EXPLORATION--demmit! A new world with challenging new problems and new alien races to discover and interact with. Throw in a Klingon or Romulan villain (or even a way far from home Cardassian--I like that actually) exploiting locals and several Big Alien Monsters for fun toy tie-ins.

Paramount, have your people call my people. We can do lunch and chat.

(oh. quit laughing demmit. snickery bastards. sigh.)

8. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Stopped reading there.
    This "pitch" is dead on arrival.

9. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

I'm all for another TNG film, but it should be a reboot of TNG, ST 09 style. The Next Gen cast are just too old to carry a movie now.

10. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Obviously a return to the purity of the Prime Universe. I don't care if it's not commercially viable, it's Star Trek.

11. anh165

anh165 Commander Red Shirt

Going by how badly written, badly acted and badly conceived most of the recent trek movies prior to XI are to go by, I wouldn't want anyone to replace JJ Abrams right now.

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^You do realize the only "recent" Trek movies are Trek XI and STID, right? XI's immediate predecessor is Nemesis which was released over a decade ago, so isn't really all that recent.

13. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

You forgot to put [sarcasm] [/sarcasm] around your post.

14. anh165

anh165 Commander Red Shirt

Fixed, universe is at peace now.

15. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

I think rebooting a franchise with so much history behind it is a bad idea.

What they did with Doctor Who was a better approach. I didn't like a lot of the RTJ Doctor Who, but I liked the _approach_ of not jettisoning the history, but just making it more modern and slicker. The new Doctor Who has production values that shame the final seasons of classic Doctor Who, but at the same time, they weren't afraid to directly link to the past, like by bringing back Sarah Jane. That's what the movie-era did to TOS, and TNG did after that. It's time for a sort of next-next-generation of post-Nemesis that simply does away with all of the Berman/Braga-isms (the wallpaper music, endless technobabble, downplayed drama, etc...).

16. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Then you missed the Rogan as Mudd idea, which by itself is pretty damned good, and is the one thing I'd carry away from it along with the 'exploration' angle.

17. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Doctor Who has the advantage of being a show about a time traveller who can change at the time of death into another body/personality. That show has it's own reset/reboot-button as an integral part of storytelling.
    They didn't have to chuck out anything, because they could simply ignore the old stuff or bring it all back changed while still having the same main character, the Doctor.

Star Trek is a different beast altogether. Kirk, Spock, McCoy are the iconic characters of Star Trek. As fans we may like all the others too but they all stand in the shadows of those original characters.
    To get back to those icons, the creators of this new Star Trek had to throw out all - well, not all - the old stuff.
    For the fans, they did their reboot in the softest way possible; the old stuff is still there, just not relevant to this updated version.

18. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

IMO, no it isn't.

STAR TREK is Star Trek. The Berman-era "spinoffs" were mostly created by others and are no closer to Star Trek than the cartoon series SHERLOCK HOLMES IN THE 22ND CENTURY was to Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories. Whether or not the spinoffs were good or bad, they were someone else's take on Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek; which is perfectly valid, but it doesn't make them any more or less "pure" Star Trek than a good Trek reboot would be. Unless, of course, your enjoyment of a piece of fiction is entirely dependent upon the fantasy that it's somehow real -- in which case, maybe it's time to reassess why you watch Star Trek in the first place. (I'm speaking rhetorically, not necessarily about you specifically.)

19. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

And after the disaster that was ENT (not in terms of quality.... I'm talking, say, Nielsen's), Trek was pretty much on life support.

I look at it this way: I might not like everything about this movie. But at least my 12-year old niece is watching TAS, TOS, heck even DS9 because of JJTrek. She's already seen ALL of the TOS and TNG movies and calls herself a Trekkie and tells me plenty of her friends do, too.

Through the last thirty years, I've been through times when if someone mentioned to people that I was a Trekkie, I would get "WTF is wrong with her?!" looks. I'm not kidding.

Don't get those any more. I call that a win.

20. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

But that's not what this thread is about, is it?

Nor is this, really - it's just revisiting the same gripes already aired elsewhere.