What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Snowlilly, Aug 21, 2012.

1. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

My appologies for answering so late. I completely overlooked your question.
    No, I saw the 1964 one with Rex Harrison and Audrey Hepburn.
    Thanks for the tip! I'll try to get the 1938 one as well =)

Current read: das Christkind kommt (the christ child comes) by Marga Müller. She was a popular writer in the 30s but is almost forgotten nowadays. In my opinion she's a bit too religious but that one is pretty good (and quite funny). I read it every Christmas :)
    Over here, we get our presents by the Christchild. It's usually depicted as a curly haired somewhat androgynous child of about 6 -8 years. On the pic you can only see it from behind but you might still get an impression of what children in Germany expect to get a glimpse of on the evening of the 24th :)
    [​IMG]

2. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I have only started reading audio books this year. I have avoided them in the past because I have, in the past few years needed subtitles on movies. However I now realised that if the reader has a clear enough voice and have no trouble following the book. I do try and select a book read by a man because I have less trouble with male voices than female voices.

I like e-books because I can change the font size, I like audio books because I can 'read' while I am gardening, waiting for the bus, doing housework etc.

I was disappointed in the movie When Worlds Collide, too much was changed for no good reason.

I have finished listened to After Worlds Collide. Not quite as good as the first book.

This month I have also listened to Relic by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. It is a techno-thriller set in the New York's Museum of Natural History. I loved the novel and have started on the second in the series , Reliquary.

I am still reading Un Lun Dun by China Mieville on my iPad.

3. TorontoTrekker

TorontoTrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

I finished Consider Phlebas on the weekend; once I got used to who all the characters were, the story started to flow better and became quite gripping.

Sunday, I started Life On the Preservation by Jack Skillingstead. From the summary posted on amazon.ca:

It has some creepy elements - there's some post-apocalyptic stuff and some possible-zombies (I'm not sure yet what they are). It moves quite quickly - as I said, I started it on Sunday and am on page 60 or thereabouts already.

4. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Joyland by Stephen King

5. Miss Chicken

I am now listening to The Cabinet of Curiosities by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, the third book in the Pendergast series. I am getting really hooked on this series.

6. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

Started Dan Simmons' Hyperion the other day... almost gave up when I found out it was a collection of short-stories tied loosely together, but read the first one as I found it rather entertaining in an old-school-SciFi manner. The second story was less so, but I found that I could skip most of it -so I continued reading... But after having read the first page of the third story I gave up.

Now 13% into Frederik Pohls Eschaton - I think I might be finishing this one :)

7. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

I actually pity you. You're missing out on one of the greatest science fiction book series' ever.
    Just to give you an idea, the first novel, being a great collection of short stories, is basically the set up for The Fall of Hyperion, and the sequel Endymion two-parter.

8. Saga

The Memoirs of Wild Bill Hickock by Richard Matheson

9. Miss Chicken

I am reading the play Orphans by Lyle Kessler.

I loved the movie version of the play and I think the movie, which stars Albert Finney, Matthew Modine and Kevin Anderson, is very underrated. I am halfway through the play and it seems that the movie was very true to the play.

10. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ugh, that was a slog. The first two books in the series were excellent, but this third one pretty much ruins the whole thing. Endings are tricky to pull off.

Anyway, I just picked up "Guns, Germs, and Steel" based on a recommendation from a friend. I don't usually read non-fiction, so it should be a nice change of pace.

11. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Star Trek: Corps of Engineers - Out of the Cocoon with stories by William Leisner, Kevin Killiany, Phaedra M. Weldon, and Robert T. Jeschonek.

12. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

You won't be sorry. That's an excellent book.

13. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

Legend by Marie Lu. So far, it's pretty good.

14. Miss Chicken

I am 10% though Bleak House by Charles Dickens. I am alternating between the e-book version and the audio version depending on what I am doing. Sometimes I read and listen at the same time. I am really enjoying this novel - it has been a long time since I read any Dickens at all and this is the first time I have read Bleak House.

15. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

The Complete Bloom County volume 4. :rommie:

16. Saga

The Night of The Ripper by Robert Bloch

17. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

The Sandcastle Girls, by Chris Bohjalian. Very interesting, but something about the protagonist/narrator is annoying (haven't been able to define exactly what yet), so I'm not enjoying it as much as I'd like to.

18. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

I need a new book to read. I've just read all 63 pages of this thread, and I'm no closer than when I started. I guess I'm currently "reading this thread!"

19. Miss Chicken

I am still working my way through Bleak House - so many characters to keep track of.

I have also started reading The Lost World of Socotra By Richard Boggs. This book covers the history, culture, wildlife of a island I had never heard of before coming across this book. Here is a short video showing a little of this fascinating place

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEEqHnuDaTo&list=FLXCkZnPNzNkGv3-whDoXWbQ&index=1[/yt]

20. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

So what kinds of books do you like to read?