'Stargate' Brings Lesbians Back To Prime Time

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Snick27, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's nothing, around here there a lesbian with her own show that comes on at 10 in the morning! The shock, the horror!

2. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    :lol:

That's me- bigoted against bigots, hate mongering the hate mongerers, ignorant of ignorance...

Well, maybe not that last one.

3. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Unless you've seen the scenes in question--preferably in context of the episodes--there's still hope that we will, indeed, have stories.

A thin hope twisting in the wind, but it's there nevertheless. ;)

4. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That said, it would have been interesting if the Captain was gay and inevitably hooked up with lots of indigenous men that they'd meet.

I mean, how many women did Shepard bump into? At least 5 probably? It'd be a nice comment on the genre if a hypothetical gay captain bumped uglies with a green skinned man. :lol:

5. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Unless you guys and anyone else veering into this tangent want infractions, keep the discussion focused on the original topic - which means the show and the apparent presence of gay characters in it. The last thread that went this direction ended up poorly, so please let's not repeat history.

6. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Exactly. Gay characters should be so subtle that you don't even know they're gay until after they're gone, like Serena Southerlyn on Law & Order!:p:guffaw:

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Based on that quote, it actually sounds more like the audience consists of Hungry Lesbians.

Maybe they can have Quiznos contests to help feed the Hungry Lesbians!

8. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Screw "edgy". I'm tired of "edgy". I could happily do without romantic stories of any kind - gay, straight, necrophiliac, whatever.

9. The Master of Tarquin Hill

The Master of Tarquin Hill Commodore Commodore

First off, I'm glad that the bigots are pissed off. As always, they can go fuck themselves.

Secondly, as a heterosexual male, I'm really glad that the gay couple are lipstick lesbians!

YAY!

10. Verse

Verse Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don't think this is anything to worry about for anybody whose opinions arnt to one extreme or another.

Only one of the gay characters is actualy on the ship, the other is still on earth so there isnt going to be any orgys.
    I'm sure this will just become a little bit of background to help give the character more depth.

11. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

MmmmMmmmMmmMmmMmmm, Toasty

12. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I actually think at least half the SG fanbase are female. At least that's what I gather from looking at the Gateworld forum.

Yeah god forbid we have two gay characters in the same room right? :rolleyes: They might kiss!!!! Run for the hills! :lol:

The bigots do make me laugh it has to be said.

13. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

:lol: Yeah I have to agree. Imagine those people that have to force their views on me just because I don't want that stuff in my programming. Damn bigots.

14. Kpnuts

I'm forcing nothing. Heterosexuality and Homosexuality are both natural parts of life. You want a series to represent life? SGU is doing that. (albeit with the gutless use of hot lesbians but that's another issue)

Get used to it and stop hiding behind the shield of "ohh woe is me, why do people have to tell me how to think".

Bigot = a person who regards or treats the members of a group with hatred and intolerance.

You're the one hating a 5-10% of the world because they happen to be born attracted to the same gender.

15. Neroon

Last warning ... to everyone, btw ... take those sidebars and namecalling elsewhere. NOT here. They have no place in this forum.

And that goes for any rejoinders that anyone feels compelled to inflict upon the discussion.

:vulcan:

16. Kpnuts

Stop running this board with an iron fist! We're having a sensible discussion without abusive swearing and the like. Stop censoring everything ffs. You're the mod, we get it. Just chill, no need to be so trigger-happy just because you have the 'power' to warn people.

We're not veering off-topic, we're discussing the subject matter specified in the original post.

17. Neroon

Have it your way. This isn't iron-fisted handling but insistence that people conduct themselves decently and on-topic. The topic is "Stargate" and its use of homosexual characters. Venting and calling people "bigot" isn't the topic.

Thread temporarily closed, to let cooler heads and better angels prevail.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  18. BenRoethig

BenRoethig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Given the setting not much. A female civilian is the logical choice as it will be best accepted. That being said, if done in the right way a male gay character wouldn't be completely a terrible idea. By right way I don't mean some taken gay character who pops up and say "Hey I'm gay" just to please GLAAD or a "Captain Jack type" that hits on every guy in sight and somehow everybody just accepts. The later would make straight guys very uncomfortable and if military would have been given his discharge papers long ago. In other words, would not be selected for a mission like this.

If there is a male gay character, there has to be a story to it. Perhaps finding out one of the airmen is gay and focusing on the struggle of both that character to balance who aspects of his life that are in direct conflict and conflict of the unit on whether they can accept him.

19. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Didn't I say that weeks ago?

TPTB have acted like 13 year olds for the last several years, this is no different.

Let's have lesbians!
    All right and they can fight in the mud!!!
    That's awesome!!!!

:rolleyes:

20. Kpnuts

Why does there have to be a story? Why can't him being gay be mentioned every now an then in passing, in similar situations as to when a heterosexual male character remarks about some attractive some girl is. Keep it light, normal, not in your face. Have the male character behave, act and talk like all the others, no camp rubbish.

Why must there be a struggle and an unhappy gay male? Just make him a normal character on the show, who happens to fancy guys. If you can't show him to be a military officer (didn't Obama say he was getting rid of that antiquated rubbish?)... then just have him as a civilian. Problem solved.