Star Trek: Phase II - "Kitumba" Officially Released!

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Loken, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Alan Smithee was a credit that a DGA Director would take (between 1968 and 2000) when s/he didn't want their name associated with a film; as authors will use a nom de plume when a script gets changed to the point they don't want their good name associated with it. To take such a credit was a guild-based decision, and not something the producers (in a pro production, anyway) could decide.

My only comment re the director credit is that Phase II clearly decided to change their to-date policy for crediting directors in this one instance, and it does stand out as inconsistent. I'm not going to pretend to know enough to pass judgement on the whys of that decision, but that it was done is obvious.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  2. Duane

Duane Captain Captain

My only technical nit-pick with this episode is some of the camera angles used in the transporter room. While I am sure that the Phase II team built the set according to the TOS layout, the camera angles sometimes showed how small that room really is. It was interesting but it put me off a little bit. I could write a list of things I loved about this episode, but that would take all day.

3. Maurice

The transporter room scene is just overcrowded with characters who don't need to be there. It really only needed Kirk, Spock, Scotty and the Admiral.

4. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

This was great, thanks very much to the cast and crew. It was engaging, mostly well acted, and felt even more professional than the last one.

Some (well all really) of the effects stuff was really super pretty too, loving that work.

5. USS Excelsior

USS Excelsior Commodore Commodore

What's this talk of missing Cawley's Kirk from now on? Isn't he supposed to be in the yet to be released Origins and Mindsifter episodes...

6. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

He decided not to do the role anymore.

7. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think it was said both episodes would be reshot with Brian Gross as Kirk...
    Here is a James Cawley quote regarding this:

8. USS Excelsior

USS Excelsior Commodore Commodore

As for the story, what was running the Klingon Empire prior to this episode since they just started the High Council in it, and supposedly there were no emperors for 2 centuries in TOS times.

9. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Speaking as a totally ignorant person, I took it to be an hereditary religious dictatorship, sort of like some of the leaders in the Middle East many of whom claim descent from Mohammud.

But I'm just telling you what I, as an uninformed person assumed, I have no knowledge.

10. vulcan redshirt

vulcan redshirt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Wow, that was brilliant. thank you for the hard work. Good things come to those who wait.

11. RobertMfromLI

RobertMfromLI Lieutenant Red Shirt

Your only assumption regarding it, you mean.

Deniz Cordell, a long time supporter, crew and cast member of ours, who directed a good portion of the footage we used, is also credited in the same fashion in this episode.

12. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

If it were a DGA production, the guild would certainly arbitrate who received credit, the original or the replacement director, based on the work completed. The DGA only allows directorial teams to take credit in rare circumstances.

13. RobertMfromLI

RobertMfromLI Lieutenant Red Shirt

Not really relevant, since ALL of them got credited, and Vic got top director credit. Deniz got "Second Unit Director" credit under him, followed by the Assistant Director credits.

14. TRP

TRP Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

And if my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a wagon . . .

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Ah, that's fair. I misread your post.

16. Maurice

Phase 2 has consistently applied the Director credit at the top of Act One until this episode, ergo someone did "change their to-date policy". How is that "assumption"?

17. RCAM

RCAM Commander Red Shirt

That's a really good point. Adding the other two smacked of "sure, we can get you in a scene!" and cluttered the shot.

18. Maurice

Plus Bones and the transporter tech, neither of whom were necessary.

19. PattyW

PattyW Commander Red Shirt

I said the same thing...but apparently I am wrong. I'll just shut up about it now, It simply seems distracting from a good conversation about the episode. And I can't speak for the production and my personal opinion that P2s choice of where to put each credit is something they are entitled to is apparently wrong. (and I still have never seen a published list of what order TV credits are listed in on screen - only how each credit reads, so that is what I based my statement on.)

20. PattyW

PattyW Commander Red Shirt

There is actually NO references in TOS to how the Klingon Empire is governed. I believe you are thinking of Worf's assertion in TNG that "we really haven't had an emperor in 200(?) years". As a writer, I took the liberty of taking that to mean the Emperor wasn't really governing back then...by way of him restarting a High Council. (sort of how the King/Queen in England doesn't really govern the country. They have other duties, with the Prime Minister and Parliment doing the government stuff.)