IDW to publish post-Nemesis TNG Borg story, possibly Destiny

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by cdgodin, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

One question though...

Shouldn't the Mutara Nebula no longer exist? I got the impression the matter that made up the nebula was turned into the Genesis Planet, which of course then exploded. So I would have thought that the Mutara Nebula was more or less an asteroid field now.

But that's minor nit picking.

I'm more disappointed that the destruction of Andoria Prime wasn't given more of a dramatic build-up. That's a pretty big thing to do to only have it as three small panels at the bottom of a page. I didn't really feel the emotion to it that I should have with such a major event.

But I totally agree with DarKush, the new reveals about the Voldranall made them more interesting to me. All in all I found issue 2 to still be a little below average but more enjoyable than issue 1, so I feel this series is improving and moving in the right direction.

2. Terran

Terran Ensign Red Shirt

Are STO novels considered canon to the rest of the novelverse?

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

No. Star Trek Online: The Needs of the Many does include a chapter referencing the novelverse as an alternate reality in the same multiverse, but it was meant as an easter egg for novelverse fans and not a definitive statement. They're really just different stories written around the canon episodes and movies, and differ in ways that a STXI-style branch point in history can't believably explain - like the ancient Iconians of STO being completely different to the Iconians of the novelverse's Gateways series.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No such thing. "Canon" doesn't mean "continuity"; it means "the stuff made by the series' creators/owners," period. So the word only applies to film and television Trek productions, not to any licensed tie-ins. What the novels have is simply a continuity. And that continuity has never been meant to include every novel; the majority of novels in recent years have been part of it, but there have always been others that stood apart. The one and only STO novel, The Needs of the Many, was written to be part of the STO continuity, not the novelverse.