Poll: Would you prefer to see a movie in 3D or 2D?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Argus Skyhawk, Jun 3, 2011.

?

Would you prefer to see a movie in 3D or 2D?

1. 3D

8 vote(s)
    5.8%
  2. 2D

105 vote(s)
    75.5%
  3. No Preference

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  4. Depends upon the movie

24 vote(s)
    17.3%
  1. Argus Skyhawk

Argus Skyhawk Commodore Commodore

Let's assume the movie in question was filmed in 3D, not converted in post. We are talking about Avatar 3D, not Clash of the Titans 3D.

Recent debates here over whether 3D films are a fad have me wondering just how much the general public is going for these movies. Ideally, I would like to see the results of a widespread study that gives an accurate idea of how people across North America, Europe, Australia, and elsewhere feel about this trend.

However, I don't have access to such a study, so I'm settling for a Trekbbs poll. What the hey.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  2. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

2D. I don't hate 3D, particularly for animated films, but I already wear glasses, so the additional set are just annoying.

3. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It would depend on the movie, but I have nothing against 3D as long as the picture was actually filmed that way and managed to put the effect to good use.

4. The Boy Who Cried Worf

The Boy Who Cried Worf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have never seen a 3-D movie, but as a person prone to motion sickness I understand I wouldn't enjoy it very much.:barf:

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

3D is, IMHO, overrated. I don't really care about it.

Certainly not going to plunk down several grand just for a TV that has it. Not until they get rid of those damn glasses, anyway.

6. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

3D works great for documentaries about real world locations that are inaccessible or too expensive to visit, and for the more sensational type eye candy movie. But other type movies are fine in 2D.

7. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly. Real-world beauty cannot be replicated. Sometimes the best way for people to visit them is on a big screen like the Imax, and I have to say, every one of them is filmed from the get-go to be 3D as they're filmed with 3D cameras.

8. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I think 3D is extremely over-rated. A good movie is a good movie; a gimmick like 3D isn't going to make it better. I'm happy just to see it in 2D and not bother with the stupid glasses.

9. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

In the case of the last 3D movie I saw, TT3D: Closer To The Edge, you got both. Still my favourite movie so far this year, and I don't even like motorcycling. :bolian:

But otherwise, yes, I'd say that the preference towards 3D depends very much on the movie.

10. Tomato

Tomato Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hate, hate 3D!!! It doesn't help that I wear glasses.

11. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I'm one of those whose eyes can't process 3D pictures. It always looks blurry to me and I can only wear the glasses for about twenty minutes or so before they give me a headache and I have to take them off for awhile...

12. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

This. 3D's great for those 'wow!' visuals in something like IMAX space movies or Planet Earth. But for a movie where you're supposed to be following the story or the characters, it is to me a distraction.

13. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Love, love, LOVE 3D.
    And it's not hindered by the fact that I wear glasses (when did people who wear glasses become such babies?)

I'm not fond of the higher price tag. But if all things were equal, I'd choose 3D every time. Why not?

Luckily (or not) all things AREN'T equal, not everything deserves the 3D treatment or is created with the highest possible standard of 3D available at the time. So for those I usually CHOOSE (that's right, nobody's forcing anybody, I have the option) 2D.

But I like that I have a choice.

14. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I generally don't avoid 3D, but I usually prefer 2D (especially when the movie wasn't filmed in 3D). There are exceptions, however. Animated movies tend to look good in 3D as did Avatar.

15. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I voted 2D, but that said it really depends on the film. Most films don't work well in 3D, the ones that tend to are either Documentary films or CGI Animation. Seems to me 3D would be fine as a gimmick if it were limited to 2 or 3 films a year, shot and mastered to be in 3D rather than a couple a month and a hodge podge of post processed and shot for 3D.

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

If it's gonna cost an extra 3-4 bucks to see it in 3D, I will gladly go with 2D thank you! Most of the 3D movies I've seen have been very disappointing; Kung Fu Panda 2 was the only recent one that looked incredible.

17. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

2D for me, thank you:bolian::)

18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Another vote for 2D, primarily because 3D glasses make my eyes hurt.

It actually is the glasses, not the movies themselves. Even if I put the glasses on before the movie starts, I get the same pain in my eyes. It's a bearable pain, but irritating all the same. The odd part, I have perfect eyesight. I don't ear glasses and have never needed any medical attention for my eyes, yet 3D glasses cause me pain in my eyes. Worse part, my local theatre makes it more convenient to see 3D showings, so I pretty much have to suck it up.

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

If you could make 3D movies that don't require me to wear glasses and don't give me a pounding headache, I might prefer those. As it is, I avoid 3D movies whenever I can.

20. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

I prefer 2D. But I wouldn't deny anyone the 3D experience just because it's not my cup of tea.