So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

I bought the first copy
    I bought the first book in the Vanguard series. We'll see how it goes. :) I also got The Buried Age. I don't know how I missed that one.

Jinn likes this.
  2. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I finished reading Star trek The Case of the Colonist's Corpse .The story was really interesting. I enjoyed reading this book again.

3. stardream

Well, I did get The Buried Age and wanted to start Vanguard but somehow managed to read The New Frontier instead. Finished the first four stories which are actually, one book. I think I'm going to like this series.

4. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

Confession time: I didn't like New Frontier until Dark Allies.

5. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

New Frontier, for me, was one winner after another up through Stone and Anvil, which is one of my favorite Trek books ever. After that, the series jumps a couple years into the future, and at first I loved that too, but that marks the turning point. Since then, each book has been worse than the one before. I thought The Returned was horrible.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^That's pretty much how I fell as well, although I haven't even bothered with The Return yet. I'm focused on the other 24th Century series, but once I get caught up on some of them I might give The Return a try.

7. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked New Frontier earlier on, but I don't think the newer entries have been as good.

I've finished the first two Elementary novels by Adam Christopher recently, and am now reading Wearing the cape: Team-ups and Crossovers by Marion G Harmon.

8. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

I agree, the first 8 or 9 were great and then it went down.

I quit leviathan wakes at page 390, I now it's a shame but I don't like the story nor the characters enough and couldn't force myself to read anyfurther.
    Tonight I am going to start with Ahsoka.

9. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Star Trek TOS Provenance of shadows by David R.George

10. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

I've got a question for you; did the jump do anything to retroactively color the earlier entries for you if/when you went back to them? Because I remember loving the early ones too, I had about the same experience as you including about when my turning point hit. And recently I tried going back to the beginning, and so many of the things that bothered me in the later NF books (and Before Dishonor to a degree) suddenly popped out at me in those earlier installations too. It was kind of disappointing. :(

11. stardream

I finished Indistinguishable from Magic.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think part of the problem now is that when NF started it was something different and unique and new, but now after the relaunches, Titan, Vanguard, SCE, ect. it's lost that new and uniqueness, so now it's issues stand out a lot more.

Idran likes this.
  13. Thrawn

No, actually - I recently re-read the earlier entries and had a lot of fun reading them. A couple things were eye-rolling, but then again they sort of were before, but the characters' had emotional truths to them that made it all feel genuine to me. Recently I feel like he's shitting on the characters for emotional moments that don't mean anything or pay off; it doesn't feel genuine anymore.

14. Jinn

Today something weird happened. Right after school I went to the local comic book store to get the German translation of Section 31: Disavowed, which should have been published today, but since I couldn't find it (turned out it was delayed to tomorrow...) I decided to buy the first issue of Boldly Go (and Pokémon XY 1, but that has nothing to do with the rest of this post, or Star Trek). I started reading After Darkness and I also read Hive some time ago, both of which I didn't like at all, so I was... not overly excited or had any sort of high expectations. Well, turned out I really liked #1 of Boldly Go and now I regret not picking up the second issue right there. In my mind, mainly due his portrayl in the first two Kelvin movies (that I didn't watch in a long time), Kelvin Kirk was this irresponisble, immature, cadet promoted to captain, incpomtetent officer who just spends his time having sex with female aliens than the whole TOS cast combined.This was completely different. I was even close to enjoying the Uhura/spock couple thing!

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Well, it was always the plan that the Kelvin-Timeline series would show Kirk's gradual maturation into the captain we knew. In the first two movies, he was still immature and learning, but by Beyond, which is set just a couple of years before the events of "Where No Man Has Gone Before" in the Prime Universe, he's become more seasoned and grown into the Kirk we know. And Boldly Go is set after -- or technically during -- the end of Beyond, so it reflects that more seasoned Kirk.

16. Jinn

I realy regret not watching Beyond. From what I've heard I'd have really liked it. I'm probably going to buy the dvd or something.

17. Thrawn

Beyond is pretty solid. There's still a lot of Generic Action Movie Stuff in it, but it's definitely the best of the three.

Daddy Todd likes this.
  18. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Fable: Edge of the World by Christie Golden.
    I'm currently reading Star Trek: Prey, Book 3: The Hall of Heroes by John Jackson Miller.

19. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just finished Salem's Lot by Stephen King. Reading Legacies Book 2 by David Mack and listening to Dublin Murder Squad #1: Into the Woods by Tana French in the car. I

20. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Started on True Faith and Allegiance by Mark Greaney earlier.