Star Trek: Phase II - "Kitumba" Officially Released!

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Loken, Nov 19, 2013.

1. RCAM

RCAM Commander Red Shirt

Right on. :) I think it's their best effort since WEAT for my money, and the series still has so much room to grow and improve. The product has come a long way and seems like it will only get better. I'm really excited for "The Holiest Thing."

More Trek = Happiness.

2. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

No. Also, lighten up.

Once again, you don't know what you're talking about. See Harvey's post above, which says so much more eloquently while also proving why.

Don't be ridiculous. In almost all of Phase II's previous outings, the Director credit has been furnished after the main title sequence, and the episode title and writer credit.

Come What May:

[​IMG]

In Harm's Way:

[​IMG]

World Enough and Time:

[​IMG]

Blood and Fire, Part I

[​IMG]

Blood and Fire, Part II

[​IMG]

Enemy: Starfleet

[​IMG]

The Child:

[​IMG]

Kitumba:

[​IMG]

So, even when starting out, Phase II's been mostly consistent with this particular title, one of the most universal and recognizable credits seen in every professional production audiences view. Here, however, the Phase II team chose to do it differently. The only episode lacking a "Directed By" Credit would appear to be "To Serve All My Days," and even then it's because I just can't seem to see it on any of the copies on YouTube at the moment.

The point I'm trying to make is that there is a precise and finely-tuned process for credits, how, when and where they appear on screen, and in what order. Phase II, as an amateur production has yet to get it entirely "right." (Take comfort however that just about every other fan film suffers from the same malaise.)

Except that there has been a very public airing of Phase II's dirty laundry on the matter, mostly by Loken and further corroborated by David Gerrold himself in that the production was adamantly not going to just be straightforward about this matter and simply credit Vic for his work as the director of the episode.

Lastly: I'll comment on whatever the hell I please, thank you very much. So long as I stay within the bounds of the rules of this message board I don't see any reason why I should refrain from commenting on this production.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

^^^You have one dead pic link and one other is a dupe.

4. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think all this argument about credits is a little silly.

5. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just watched "Kitumba" and I enjoyed it. I thought it looked crisp, many of the Klingon makeup jobs were well done. It was interesting to see some cues/references taken from Abrams' Trek as well.

6. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Doubleohfive, please just let it go. Only those directly involved know the facts, so I'd like to suggest letting them deal with what is a personal issue amongst themselves. This ongoing drama helps no one.

7. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Thanks for the heads-up. Aaaand fixed!

It is silly. The crew at Phase II wish to produce their show as "professionally" as possible and have declared so many times on this forum. As a working professional in Hollywood, I can speak for myself that at least in this entire debacle, they have conducted themselves most unprofessionally.

On another level, it isn't just about credits. Phase II has made no bones about their dislike for Vic; however they are now releasing this episode not only directed by him but also featuring him as the main antagonist of their story.

Regardless of any bad blood or ill will on either side of the story, Phase II as a whole is already benefiting from the positive feedback and commentary on the project (as evidenced by numerous posters in this very thread.) Regardless of what happened with Vic, he played an integral part in the production of this episode and should be properly credited for that contribution. And he has been. But that it was so markedly different from their past efforts was glaringly obvious in this outing. That's all I was trying to say.

8. Akira8

Akira8 Ensign Newbie

Great work Phase II! Kitumba was well worth the wait and far exceeded my expectations. Looking forward to "The Holiest Thing" in february!

9. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

I think that was interesting point to bring up...however, I now know more than I ever wanted to know about the situation. The Star Trek Continues is a great opportunity for Vic to show just exactly what he's got (and I say the first indications are very promising). While, I am not going to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't post about, I will say I've had enough of this particular issue.

10. Loken

Loken Lieutenant Commander

Forget it. Not even worth it. So sad that some people lead such meaningless lives that they need to come on here and make themselves feel self important.

Just reminds us that those that can, DO and those that can't CRTICIZE.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  11. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ok, so that's your professional opinion.

In my decidedly unprofessional opinion, the more that people offer their opinions, the sillier it gets. It's over and done, the episode is "in the can." Those directly involved made a judgment call, an executive decision. If you don't agree, ok. They probably will take it under advisement and move on with their lives.

:)

12. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd just like to say that Phase II is a ruddy miracle, I'm extremely appreciative of it and of the efforts of all involved, and Kitumba was entertaining viewing.

13. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

doubleohfive:

If I could give you an infraction for perseveration, I would. In the meantime, I'll just admonish you. We get it: you take great offense at how the credits have been handled for "Kitumba." Please move on.

Loken:

I can issue you an infraction for flaming (and have now done so). Please take your ad hominem attacks on your fellow board members to some other board. (I can't believe I have to police one of my own Producers.)

Your dislike of other people on this board that you think are "trolls" is clear; your dislike of other former fan film teammates who you now think are untrustworthy liars is also understood. We get that, too.

Enough, please, in both regards.

(Didn't you assert that you were never going to post here again? What happened?)

14. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

It was a great show and I totally enjoyed it. I am not a filmmaker, and I cannot and will not dissect why. I just know what I like, and I liked Kitumba A LOT. I was not the super fan of TOS many were (yes, I watched it live first run, I'm old) and James Cawley remains my favorite Kirk, above Shatner, Pine, Vic, and from what I can see so far, his coming replacement in Phase II., Mr. Gross I think. This story does so much to link the TOS Klingons with the TNG Klingons, it should be adopted as cannon. I hate reruns and I don't have every detail of Trek memorized, so if not for reading about them, I would have missed pretty much all the FanBoy references. What a nice way to start 2014!

Kiddos to all involved. I love Cawley's Kirk and his production values. The CGI work made my eyes pop out. I never felt LOVE for the Enterprise before this episode. Brilliant work. Vic's direction was excellent, too. The acting by the main cast was the best job they ever did. I think (but I don't know) that has a lot to do with the director. Great writing effort by Patty Wright, too. I know a lot of issues happened, and I wish people could just lay off each other (including the cracks about the credits) and try to remember, IT'S A FAN FILM. I have received a wonderful gift here that I in no way earned or deserve. Thanks to all involved in giving it to me.

15. RCAM

RCAM Commander Red Shirt

I'll be very interested in seeing Brian Gross' take. I'm not familiar with his other work, but bringing in a professional actor does raise the bar.

The one thing I will note is that the tenor of Brian's voice, based on the preview, may take a little bit of getting used to. His pitch is a little higher (not calling him Frankie Munez -- he has a perfectly normal voice) than what I associate with Kirk.

In any case, should be good fun. And James went out with a solid performance. You can tell he took his acting seriously and really worked on it over time. Kudos to him.

16. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Hey, I can't! :confused: I used to criticize, but now I just index! :lol: Some of us who can't INDEX. :rommie:

17. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

I'm not even a fan of Phase II, but even I'll admit that I thought they topped themselves with Kitumba. It's not perfect, could use a little more polish in a couple of spots, but all in all I think it's a damn good episode.

18. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I saw the promo for Brian Gross as Kirk, and it intrigued me. I'm always willing to give a new person a chance, because when it comes to bringing characters like James Kirk to life, they do have such big shoes to fill.

19. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

I thoroughly enjoyed the episode, and yes, I looked for Vic's name in the credits. After I saw it I hoped I would never have to hear anyone bring it up ever again. Sadly, I was wrong.

Can we stop focusing on it now?

20. The Transformed Man

The Transformed Man Commander Red Shirt

Maybe they should have just gone the Alan Smithee route. LOL

Yancy