First details of nuKhan prequel comic

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by 8of5, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

"Everyone would have been happy."

Why do people think that'll ever happen?

2. SiddFinch1

SiddFinch1 Captain Captain

I know they intend for all pre Nero to be the same timeliness but I don't buy it. In nu trek its nu kirk etal who go back in time to 1930 thru the guardian ; 1986 to get the whales; 1967 to meet Gary Seven. Etc. Change it so the homeless man in 1930 NY doesn't phaser himself in nu trek and maybe he sobered up to influence the eugenics program so Khan is white and not Indian. I know tptb say this isn't true but I think it only makes sense....

3. Tino

Tino Captain Captain

Too bad Messina isn't drawing. I totally love his style.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

No to all three.

From the point of view of those periods in time, "prime Trek" is still a possible future, therefore Kirk Prime could still arrive from it. Remember, the prime timeline has not been erased.

Indeed, it is possible for characters from EITHER timeline to travel back to those periods, or indeed any period before 2233 - since both timelines are possible, and coexist side by side. Kirk Prime and nuKirk could even meet!

5. Nob Akimoto

Nob Akimoto Captain Captain

It's disappointing that it appears they're just going to stick with the whitewashed Khan. Actually disappointing isn't really the right word. It's even kind of creepy in an aryan white supremacist sort of way.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Umm, Aryans are actually Iranians and northern Indians. The Nazis totally misused the term. Ideally Khan should be an Aryan in the accurate sense.

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

As I've said a million times, considering the complaints that would arise if an Indian or at all vaguely Middle Eastern-looking actor had been cast as Khan (considering the movie ends with "9/11 times ten thousand," as Team America would say), this was the best way to go.

8. Christopher

^Then again, they could've always not ended the movie that way. It's not as if that mass destruction was really essential to the plot.

9. Nob Akimoto

Nob Akimoto Captain Captain

I'm aware of the technical use of the term, hence I added "white supremacist" to it to mean the "aryan nation" sort of usage.

Sorry that was a bit unclear.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do we know that for a fact yet? They said they will address the change in appearance, and as far as I know we haven't actually seen any interior artwork yet.
    I know the cover shows the STID Kahn, but that appears to be rather abstract, so we can't judge the whole miniseries just by it.

11. Therin of Andor

Contractually, an IDW comic tie-in to "Into Darkness" would need to have resemblance to Benedict Cumberbatch, not Ricardo Montalban. As a rising star, he possibly also negotiated likeness approval.

A precedent was when they swapped Saaviks. Even though Kirstie Alley was seemingly a more popular incarnation, the cover art of "The Pandora Principle" novel, and post-ST IV comics from DC, had to feature Robin Curtis. When IDW finally adapted ST II as a comic, they used Kirstie Alley.

12. mindx2

mindx2 Commander Red Shirt

I find that "politically correct" mentality disappointing (not directed at you just society in general). What, we can only have lilly-white Caucasians or Nazis as villains from now on? That's just as bad as if every villain were always the Klingons or Romulans... :p

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Did they say they would address the change in appearance? That seems odd. True, IDW does acknowledge these characters look different than they do in the Prime Universe. Like in Countdown where Nero looks up a file on Kirk with a picture done in Shatner's likeness. Or in the Mirrored story where Scotty and McCoy are shadowed by their Prime Universe counterparts while discussing alternate universes. But I would be very surprised if a STID tie-in comic presented Khan in the actual narrative of the story as anything other than Cumberbatch's likeness.

14. Christopher

Except we know that, canonically, the characters look the same in-universe. Spock Prime recognized young Kirk and Scott on sight. To him, as far as the story was concerned, they looked the same.

In Countdown, it makes sense they would've used Shatner's image, because that came out before the movie premiered and the readers wouldn't have been familiar with Pine as Kirk yet. But in "Mirrored," it's just kind of a weird art glitch, like the way the story uses the TMP Enterprise in place of the Abrams Enterprise.

15. Noddy

Noddy Captain

I have to say, I'll be a tad disappointed if the comic has Khan looking like Cumberpatch from the start. The character has an Indian name; it makes sense that he should start off looking like an Indian.

16. Christopher

Actually he doesn't have an Indian name. "Singh" is Indian, but "Khan" is a name of Central Asian origin that's generally found as a Muslim surname, and "Noonien" is apparently the given name of a Chinese friend of Gene Roddenberry's. It's more the kind of pan-Asian muddle that passed for '60s US television's portrayal of "the Orient."

Considering that the Augments were genetically engineered and/or selectively bred from the best of various human ethnicities, it's not unreasonable to think that many of them would be ethnically mixed, and that might be reflected in their names as well.

17. Noddy

Noddy Captain

Incidentally, has anyone here read the short story "The Rules of War", in Strange New Worlds Vol. 9? That presents rather a different interpretation of the Eugenics Wars than the one in Greg's novels. Who knows, it may end up being easier to reconcile with the upcoming Khan comic than Greg's fiction....

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

If he looks like Montalban, he won't look like an Indian. Montalban is a Mexican of Spanish decent.

Was anybody up in arms when it was announced that Freddie Mercury (born Farrokh Bulsara) an Indian Parsi, was going to be played by English actor Russell Brand?

19. Therin of Andor

No, but you should have seen the outrage among unemployed short male Chinese-Australians when American actress Linda Hunt was cast as Billy Kwan in "The Year of Living Dangerously" - and then went on to win an Oscar! :devil:

20. Noddy

Noddy Captain

Wonder if they'll keep the original 1990s date for the Eugenics Wars? Hope so, be interesting to see how they work it into real world history.