Romulans Or Remans? (May Be Spoilers?)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Jetfire, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I never said I was quick, only that I was pleased.:p

2. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Good point. The first TREK Romulan since Ambassador Nanclus(2293) in STAR TREK VI to be missing them. Even the 22nd century prequel Romulans in the "United"/Coalition arc on ENTERPRISE had the small cranial ridges. Never liked that.

4. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

Except for T'Pel from TNG's "Data's Day," whetever her Romulan name was. V'Sal or something?

5. cooleddie74

Something along those lines. But technically even THAT was filmed and shown before TUC. So...strictly speaking...it predates that movie.:p

6. miraclefan

Maybe there's two types of ''Romulans''? smoth & ridged.

7. cooleddie74

Like the Klingons? VERY possible. Look at Nanclus in TUC. Set in 2293. He has a Vulcan-like smooth forehead. But the Romulans programming and running the "Marauder" drone ships in 2154 in the "United"/Coalition arc on ENT have ridges.

8. miraclefan

Also remember the romulan spy in that ark was ''smoth'' as well!

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Also, Spock was able to walk around Romulus in Unification without anyone going "why don't you have forehead ridges?"

10. miraclefan

^Good point, I never thought of that!, but wait a sec, didn't Spock where a cloak and hood when he was in public? Or am I remembering that wrong?

11. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Then why didn't he just get plastic surgery before arriving on Romulus?

The Romulan helmets seen on TOS were hiding many a ridged forehead. Maybe when the Romulans left Vulcan, most of them were of the ridged type?

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, he walked around the streets of Romulus, ate soup in the restauraunts and was even seen in the recording at the beginning of part 1 with his forehead for all to see.

13. miraclefan

^Good point on the ''Plastic Surgery''.Maybe the Vulcans that left vulcan were the more ''AGGRESSIVE'' type, thus the Ridges?
    My mistake, I havent seen that episode in years!:p

14. martin

martin Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I liked the ridges, it gave them a more menacing look, and gave a slight distinctions between the Vulcans and the Romulans, without looking radically different.

15. miraclefan

I did too, but I get the feeling the new ''guys'' in charge want to be as (FAR AWAY) from previous TREK as possible!:vulcan:( I don't blame them, can you?)

16. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

This time, they've distinguished the Vulcans from the Romulans by having them be as bald as coots, rather than possessing forehead ridges.

I love it how the powers that be think their audience are so stupid, they can't tell a passionate aggressive race from a logical restrained one.

17. miraclefan

^Ya Hollyweird thinks ''EVERYBODY'' but them(Hollyweird) are stupid inbreed idiot's who will do anything Hollyweird tells them to do.

18. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

Nah, I *never* liked the "ridged" Romulans... It really detracts from the point that Vulcans and Romulans are the *same* species. Plus it looks stupid.

But then again, both Vulcans and Rumulans were botched in TNG and later series. (Vulcan makeup plus bowl cut, Rumulan ridges plus bowl cut)

19. cooleddie74

Although it makes one wonder how the heck such a noticeable cranial evolutionary development happened in less than 2,000 years' time. The Vulcan Reformation and rebellion of those who went off to form the Romulan race happens barely two millennia before the TREK franchise. Hard to see how new skulls develop that quickly.

20. Neutrino

Neutrino Lieutenant

It's possible that Vulcan physiology is so different that their bodies adapt and evolve faster than that of Humans. I think it's possible that in only 2000 years on Romulus they evolved the head ridges. I mean just look how fast the Vulcans who went to Remus evolved into those grotesque beings.

There's absolutely no good reason why the Human/Earth evolutionary process has any basis on the evolutionary process of alien races.