The Dark Knight Megathread (USE THIS! Love, the mods)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Samurai8472, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Too much Batman love going on. He needs to be taken down a peg. :p

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9JxPoZVQ108

Oh, I'm not saying the film won't be profitable. I'm just saying it won't dominate the way Dark Knight is.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  2. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

What about Step Brothers? Nobody can deny that Will Ferrel has a certain popularity.

3. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I've also seen it like this.
    I honestly can't say if I'll catch a third. I'm on the fence and if the right company wants to I'll go.
    However this isn't the type movie demanding I go back. What action scenes are good on the big screen aren't that spectactular compared to other action fare. Its the acting that sells this movie and for another $10 I could wait for that on DVD come the holidays.

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

True X-Files will hope for a 2nd place finish and its budget is reported in the $35-40m range. A successful summer run for it would be easily $60-75m in total domestic take.

5. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

In your estimation, does the IMAX experience have an edge over the regular version, at least enough to warrant the extra cost?

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

That's what I want to know. I want to see it in IMAX but I'm not sure it is worth it. I saw S:R in IMAX and I wasn't impressed.

Frankly, it made me think someone was playing with colorforms on the lenses of my (IMAX) glasses.

7. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I'm not big on IMAX or seeing movies twice in the theatre, but I'm actually thinking about catching it on IMAX as well.

8. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

When I'm able to see the movie...in another month I'm hoping to see the movie at the IMAX theatre. Remember that Dark Knight was filmed using IMAX cameras in order to capture the best possible picture and they even had to improve the technology because what they were using wasn't quite right for some scenes. I heard a review on the radio that said that the IMAX experience was surpremly awesome and well worth the extra cost and the guy (Terry David Mulligan) said it translated well onto the normal theatre screens. He was blown away by it.

9. Broccoli

The IMAX picture was pretty good, clear, and crisp, especially the scenes shot in IMAX. You don't get glasses to watch the film as you don't need them. You only needed them with SR because some of the film was in 3D.

As for TDK, while the picture looked good, there was a LOT going on in each shot, especially the fight and action sequences. Like, Batman can be punching someone, but because it is so big, you might be looking at a different part of the screen when he does it. It can be a lot to take in.

This film probably doesn't "need" the IMAX as required viewing, however, I am glad that I did see it in IMAX, even if I was disappointed in the final product.

10. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Absolutely. The entire film is not in the IMAX format -- many sequences, however, are -- but when the first frame opens, you'll be stunned. When I saw it, the entire audience started clapping and a bunch of my friends, including people I was sitting with, just started going "Wow".

The detail, the quality, it's incredibly crisp. I've seen the film three times now -- two in regular, one in IMAX -- and the viewing in IMAX was such an experience that I want to see it in that format again before it leaves theaters. It's just that awesome.

11. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

There's an IMAX theater not too far away, in San Francisco. I think I might give it a try.

12. JacksonArcher

13. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I plan on seeing the film at least twice...once in the normal theatre and once in the IMAX theatre. Also I know this is WAYYYY early but considering the colossal success over the weekend has Warner Bros made an announcement about a DVD release yet? I'm expecting one to come out before Christmas...and it better be better than the Batman Begins DVD.

14. JacksonArcher

I believe the DVD is slated for sometime in December.

15. Broccoli

Just in time for Christmas.

16. JacksonArcher

17. Thespeckledkiwi

Thespeckledkiwi Vice Admiral

I'm thinking the next Batman should tie into the Justice League if they are still planning that.

18. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I believe Justice League has crashed and burned.

19. JacksonArcher

And in no way will Nolan (if he will do another Batman film) tie into that project, crashed, burned or not.

20. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Batman universe in these films would not work as a Justice League movie jump off point.