Ant-Man: Info, Pics, Rumors, Casting and Details till release

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have never even heard of Ant-Man. Sounds like something out of an episode of The Tick, and from what I have read here, it looks totally shit.

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    He's not an instantly awesome sounding character at first blush. Can't fault you or anybody for that. He's a low B-lister at best, a support player to the bigger dogs most of the time when he's included. I'm thinking though that for his film they will do certain tweaks within reason like the other films that give him a sense of uniqueness and intrigue. I think that's why the 2-person concept for the Ant-Man identity is in play. That hasn't been done before.

No one really knew who Blade was either before his film. Anything is possible.
    Next to a cosmic film with a talking badass raccoon and tree though Ant-Man will be much more recognizable as a concept for general audiences to latch onto.

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Speaking of Blade, when will Marvel be doing the reboot? ;)

4. Captain Craig

^^^^^
    My hunch is maybe in Phase 3. If Daredevil comes back and maybe Ghost Rider then those plus Punisher could formulate a "street hero" introduction into the MCU.

Addressing Ant-Man "talking" to the ants though as someone mentioned up thread. That's been portrayed two ways. The first was that Pym was able to decode the different clicks and taps an ant makes with it's mandibles much like researchers listen to dolphins and link to that happy, sad, fight or flight behaviors. His helmet would then be the receiver and transmitter for "talking", Pym essentially giving the "clicks" for friend/foe/fight etc.

Another that came later was Pym found out nuances and had his helmet then translate that into actual human verbiage communication. This one I don't like as much. I think it much more "believable" to stick with the first approach.

If I could find some scanned panels I'll post them. I have the Ant-Man/Giant Man Marvel Masterworks so time willing at some point I'll flip through and maybe take a pic of the panels he describes the first example.

5. drychlick

drychlick Captain Captain

i love Ant -man he been a Avengers! since day 1! 2 Ant-men are better than1!

6. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not super excited about the concept, but if Wright thinks he can make a cool movie out of it, I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

7. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

8. Captain Craig

So it seems they could have two films in production at the same time, for the first time then?
    Before Ant-Man was confirmed the shooting schedule was for Marvel to start/stop/start with IM3, Thor2, Cap2. Now it seems if Ant-Man is going to film in the same stages as Thor once they are done then MS will have both Cap2 and Ant-Man filming, at least for some duration, in different spots. A first for them.

9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

10. Captain Craig

^^^^
    Nice find! I like the quote and his plea for us to essentially "beg loudly" for it.

We've been hearing off/on about the Ant-Man project for so long. Speculating about how it would look and be taken as serious as the other MCU films that this test footage would be a great step towards answering some of those thoughts.

11. Captain Craig

Someone who saw the Edgar Wright test footage at Comic Con has attempted to recreate it as best they could. So this is a fan reproduction of that test footage. Maybe it'll prompt the real footage to see the light of day.

If this is a fair facsimile then I like how Ant-Man is being displayed in a "now you see me, now you don't" manner. It's a bit reminiscent of how Nightcrawler's opening action sequence in X2 played out.

12. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

A fan recreation of test footage? I don't think I've seen that before though pretty cool in its own right.

13. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

It is pretty cool, although Ant-Man kinda looks like the Rocketeer there.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought it was pretty cool. I hope we get to see the real thing some day soon.

15. Captain Craig

This was on Twitter, 10/5, so take with the applicable amount of salt. I just came across it today.
    Seems that A.I.M is likely to have a role in the Ant-Man film.
    Makes sense to expand them out since they are going to be introduced in IM3.
    Logical question in that post by someone--so Modok?

16. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

MODOK... yes... everything is going according to plan. :evil:

17. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If we're talking "believable", then by all rights Pym's helmet should emit pheremones. Smell is actually ants' greatest sense, especially in comparison to the rest of insect species.

Sure, this isn't canon, but it's true, and wouldn't really affect Ant-Man's control over ants or insects.

18. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just read four pages.

Where the fuck did this thread come from?

Hank was not under control of Ultron when he hit Jan. They thought he might have been under the control of Egghead, but a few issues later they used a mindwash-test machine in a court of law to clear someone else of a crime which then affirmed that Hank although temporarily crazy was alone in charge of his faculties... 20 years later however, they started saying that Kang the conqueror (40th century time travelling despot.)had manchurian candiadated Stark and Pym to murder people and play with time for him, which explained Starks drinking and Pyms mental episodes and breaks because they couldn't cope with their repressed memories of working for evil. 15 years after that, Pym is Giant-Man riding a nuclear boomb just like out of Doctor Strangelove, steering it away from a population centre, saving the fucking day and his though bubble read "it doesn't matter what I do, I'm always going to be the guy who hit his wife" but that guy turned out to be a Skrull... In fact Hank Pym was replaced by a Skrull almost immediately after he knocks Jan across the room, so any repentence and redemption that happenedin the last 30 years was done by some other evil alien spy guy.

Hank is currently knocking boots with Tigra and still making googoo eyes with Ultrons bride Jocasta who is a robot still speaking with the voice of his (currently, yes I'm reading Avengers.) dead wife Janet Van Dyne the Wasp, who is also technically his grandaughter.

19. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah he's another character that some writers just seem to pigeon hole into one corner and can never break free of it - which is a shame. I mean you get some writers who really do try to write him well and then you get others that just like to piss on the character every chance they can get.

Like "Oh Hank Pym... the wife beater." "Oh Tony Stark... the drunk." "Oh Scott Summers, the psycho asshole."

20. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Scott Summers the psycho asshole is new.

But these are their stories.

It's who they are.

Imagine going to a Pink Floyd concert and they won't play Another brick in the Wall(part 2.)?