World Premiere/Advance screening discussions [SPOILERS GUARANTEED]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by M'Sharak, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

'Star Trek has been ruined because of product placement !!!!'

Man, the rolly eyes icon was invented for such inane sentiments

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

They used an obvious Samsonite suitcase in TOS season 1s This Side of Paradise and an obvious AT & T telphone in Assignment: Earth--those sell-outs!

It is way cool IMO to assume that some products and companies might survive into future centuries, survive wars, natural disasters and economic upheavals. Like on Enterprise when they showed the crew still enjoying 20th century cinema.

2. perigee

perigee Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Just a personal opinion, Grant, but it needs to be considered...

The tone of Star Trek has always mirrored its time and its society. I fear - GREATLY - that we may need to wait a little longer before we can hope for what we used to love. The "you and I" of today are gamers, locked into Halo Wars, and remain in the middle of 8+ years of righteous military aggression. The Twelve-year olds don't remember a time when we were not war-like.

It may take some time before we see "Our" Star Trek back again. I can only hope that culture changes, and we find the nobility we sought back 'in the day.'

3. Grant

OH no !!! The fictional planet Vulcan is destroyed in one timeline of the gigantic Trek universe!!!! How shall i live?!? Trek is finished!! :rommie:

As much as i hate the line.....Get a life.

4. FlyingLemons

FlyingLemons Vice Admiral Admiral

Haven't seen the film, but at least according to Countdown the black hole that sends Spock and Nero back to the 23rd Century is caused by Spock creating a singularity to stop the supernova that destroyed Romulus

Although I wouldn't really call it a black hole as there's pretty much no emerging from one of those things. I can think of some technobabble involving plucking wormholes from quantum foam, but again, simplicity is key when dealing with a theatre full of moviegoers.

5. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow! Talk about over the top!

6. Grant

And it is a big budget movie--not a series---which will always have more time for more in-depth characterizations. There is no way they could make an old-fashioned slower paced movie to re-launch this series. It has to start or re-start with a bang in the same way each of the spin-off series started with 'big' (for TV) epic type opening episodes.

Abrams produces TV as well. Is it impossible he would be asked to launch a trek universe series to be a companion to the movie series?

7. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

I'm sorry If I caused you offense. I have already toned down on the ranting, if you read any of my further posts you can see for yourself. This Vulcan thing just made me really angry. Of all the stories they could have told they go for this. Okay, its only a movie and I shouldn't get upset about it, but I did.

8. oneal_cj

oneal_cj Ensign Newbie

I've got one more question for anyone who has seen the film. Are there any large space battles in the film?

9. Grant

You said it Devon.

Billions dead???:lol:
    During the original series there was multiple examples of entire worlds being destroyed by the Doomsday Machine, the giant ameoba, Nomad, the novelty vomit creatures from Operation: Annilhate and most of those episodes ended with some forced laughter.:eek:

Sorry, 'over the top dude', but this has been common to Trek since 1966.
    Maybe he's just a bigot who only cares if vulcans die.

If the script didn't offend Nimoy--it's not gonna offend me or turn me into some, "Oh the humanity!!!" blubbering wacko

10. Grant

I don't know the answer, but how could it NOT?

Since every review I looked at spoiler or no has said it's completely action-packed---they can't just mean fist-fights can they?

Perhaps you mean 'fleet battles' as opposed to single ship battles. Unlikely since the 'bad guy' only has one ship--I think. Perhaps a fleet against his single ship---as first contact showed very briefly in First Contact---VERY BRIEFLY

11. perigee

perigee Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Not impossible - and, considering his recent work - he would be just about the only person nowadays I could trust to reboot a series. He has the juice to get it done, and the proven track record of doing television "Outside the Box."

If this be treason, let us make the most of it - From your lips, to Paramount's ears...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2009
  12. Grant

What could be cool is a big budget (for TV) mini-series that perhaps even could provide a lead-in or be tied in some way to a future sequel. Such as the Current Trek comic books which are telling stories that have links to the movie.

Or a limited series with only 13 ep per season.

I just don't think we'll ever see 26 or 22 episode Trek seasons again because of the time & budgets involved with such an undertaking.

I have always hoped for a trek series set in the 23rd century since ironically that's what we haven't had for the longest period of time at this point.

13. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Your moms basement called, it's ready for you to move in.

14. Grant

:lol:

Yeah and you better move fast because if she has to do it for you---she's gonna find those books under your bed---you know what i mean.

15. locborg

locborg Commander Red Shirt

No its not! Star Trek always was about a world without trademarks and capitalism. of course they showed brands in ST IV, most parts of the movies played in the 80ies! Star Trek plays in the 23rd century; a time where money and companies are relics of the past...

If you deny that Star Trek always transported strong anti capitalistic messages you just didnt understand the show. it is the main reason you usually dont see any brands in this show.

16. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

As I said in earlier posts, I'm not opposed to some minor things being altered in the Star Trek universe, as long as it doesn't cause too much upheaval with what is firmly established. But I just think that blowing up Vulcan is going too far. It might not be so bad if it was just bashed up a bit, but destroying it outright? No. I'm sorry, I simply cannot abide that. I dread to think what might happen in any possible sequels to this mess.

17. tauntme

tauntme Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Fine by me. I hope you won't be seeing this movie.

18. Grant

How big is that basement?

perhaps it can be subdivided.

So every company & trademark that exist and have existed for centuries in the case of some European ones have no place in any future trek universe?

Mid-blowingly narrow and totally non-sensical criticism of this movie. 99.9% of folks don't care or notice about product placement and i doubt it would be done in a in your face way anyhow.
    Pretty sad.

so desperately grasping at reasons to dislike something.

19. Carpe Occasio

Carpe Occasio Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What product placement?

[​IMG]

[Large image converted to link to prevent horizaontal stretching. - M']

[Large image resized - My bad - Carpe]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  20. ThereAre4Lights

ThereAre4Lights Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

after all the hype about the Klingon prison scenes, it turns out they've been deleted from the theatrical release. now that's a major letdown.