What's your favorite high-numbered sequel?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Lord Garth, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

What's your favorite sequel that's a "Part 4" or higher?

My Guidelines:

1. Every time James Bond is recast, except for George Lazenby, it's reset to "Part 1". Same with Star Trek for that matter. Every time we switch casts, it's reset to "Part 1".

2. The order for Star Wars is: 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3. [See the Addendum below for more.]

3. If the film is intended to be a reboot, reset to "Part 1". If it's only ignoring some of the previous parts, this isn't a real reboot and the numbering stands. i.e. Superman Returns is still "Superman 5" like "Alien 5" will be Alien 5.

4. If you want to get into a debate with me about it, please don't. You can use your own guidelines and it's fine with me. We're cool. Really!

Addendum:

Prequels can also count because I don't hit RESET unless it's a reboot... but they have to have the same main characters. So, for instance, I'd count X-Men: First Class because of Xavier and Magneto but not Prometheus which isn't so much a direct prequel as it is a spin-off that just happens to take place earlier.

See also Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Star Trek: Enterprise which are, respectively, counted as the second movie and fifth series not the zeroth movie and zeroth series.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

"Conquest of the Planet of the Apes" is the fourth of the original APES movies and still one of my favorites.

And Star Trek IV: "The One with the Whales" is my second-favorite TREK movie after KHAN.

And, going back a ways, let's not forget "Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman" which was the fourth in the Universal Frankenstein series (if only the second "Wolfman" movie).

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Star Wars 36, remastered in full VR.

4. Commander Richard

Commander Richard Yo! Man! Premium Member

Fast & Furious. It brought the series back to form after a terrible second movie and a direct-to-video quality third movie. Never seen a rebound like this before.

Note: Fast & Furious is actually the third movie chronologically, or the fifth installment if you include the shorts but it was the fourth movie to be released.

5. Greg Cox

Does "Duck Soup" count? It's the fifth Marx Bros. movie.

And "A Night at the Opera" (which was their sixth movie) is one of their best as well.

After that, things start to go downhill . . ..

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Would X:MEN: Days of Future Past count?

7. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Definitely X-Men: First Class (assuming it counts) and Days of Future Past (ditto - it should at least be a part four, following the Entry Which Goes Unnamed). Let's also add Fast & Furious, Fast Five, and Furious 7. (Not a big fan of Fast & Furious 6, though.)

TUC also, of course. (Been too long since I've seen TVH or TFF to properly judge those.) I'm also gonna unilaterally rule Generations as being part of the TOS movies for purposes of this count, as I'm an unabashed fan of that one. :p

Jurassic World.

Ghost Protes
    (haven't yet seen Rogue Nation).

All the post-Cap: TFA MCU movies, if they count.

8. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

TVH, TUC, and First Contact

All of the Fast and the Furious movies from Fast & Furious going forward, but especially Fast Five

For Your Eyes Only (Roger Moore's fifth film as Bond)

X-Men: First Class

9. Lord Garth

Star Trek IV and VI. If I weren't resetting with switching casts, I'd include First Contact too. Screw it. First Contact is included.

X-Men: First Class -- Because why not?

Rocky IV -- Or is that just the montages? Sometimes I play those songs when I really want to get going.

Alien: Resurrection -- So shoot me.

For Your Eyes Only -- It's really an anomaly in the Roger Moore era. Which, for this film, is a good thing.

Conquest of the Planet of the Apes -- It's the best of all the sequels. At least the ones in the '70s. I haven't seen any of the new ones.

I've never seen a Fast & Furious movie in my life.

10. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Star Trek VI is my favorite Trek movie.

Does it count if the stories are unrelated but it's by the same director? If so they Mad Max Fury Road by a mile.

11. Greg Cox

ESCAPE is great, but it's only the third in the series, and the OP was asking for "high-numbered sequels" of #4 or above.

12. Lord Garth

They should be related and a high-numbered sequel.

Note in general: Prequels can also count because I don't hit RESET unless it's a reboot... but they have to have the same main characters. So, for instance, I'd count X-Men: First Class because of Xavier and Magneto but not Prometheus which isn't so much a direct prequel as it is a spin-off that just happens to take place earlier.

See also Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Star Trek: Enterprise which are, respectively, counted as the second movie and fifth series not the zeroth movie and zeroth series.

For Star Trek: First Contact I broke the rules. Once. People think of it more as "Star Trek 8" than "TNG 2" anyway, so whatever. Or, as Picard would say, "I'm about to commit a direct violation of our orders. Should any of you object please do so now, it will be noted in my log." Then cardinal biggles said, "I believe I speak for us all when I say to Hell with our orders." ;)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  13. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, Captain Spaulding and Rufus T. Firefly and Otis P. Driftwood are not the same person!

I almost never like movie series after the second installment. You Only Live Twice is the only exception I can think of.

14. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

It also helps that the current packaging for the TOS/TNG films gives all ten Roman numerals from I to X, so if Paramount is treating them as one big long series, who am I to argue?

15. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think Fury Road ought to count. Same director, same villain actor in new role, but they changed the gender of his kid! If Trek '09 is a reset, than surely so is Fury Road.

(Though Superman Returns at most qualifies as an alternate third entry, not a fifth. ;))

16. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Star Trek IV, V & FC. I'm also counting FC as Trek 8.

Fast & Furious 4 & 5. I'm not a massive fan of the series (and so haven't seen 6 or 7 yet) but those films were a lot more fun than they were entitled to be.

X-Men FC & DOFP.

Revenge of the Sith. Yes, I went there

17. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't compare Trek '09 to Fury Road. Fury Road has similar creative approach to the previous movies and can plausibly take place in the same world with a guy who has the same name.

18. DarrenTR1970

DarrenTR1970 Commodore Commodore

Would 'Day of the Dead' count? The zombies carry over from the previous 'Living Dead' movies. If so I vote for that; I've grown to appreciate what George A. Romero was trying to do with the franchise. It's so much bleaker and nihilistic than the previous two outings.

19. Lord Garth

Wait. That's right. It's "Star Trek VIII".

"Star Trek 8" -- no roman numerals -- will come out in... 2034.

20. Greg Cox

But "Day of the Dead" was only the third film in the series, right?

What about "Wes Craven's New Nightmare"? That was the seventh film in the Freddy Krueger series, but it was also this weird metafictional, out-of-continuity thing in which there's a "real" Freddy who is revealed to have inspired the previous movies . ...

(Full disclosure: that was the first movie novelization I ever edited, so I have a soft spot for that film.)