Fantastic Four Film Reboot May Have a Director?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Eh, I guess it would be nice to have a richer and more epic Fantastic Four film.... but I can't say it's something I'm really dying to see.

As flawed as the previous movies were, they were still a decent amount of fun (and not really that far off in tone from the comics), and did allow these characters to show off their powers pretty well.

I just don't see a pressing need to revisit them anytime soon.

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I do. Outside of Chris Evans and Michael Chiklis, I thought the previous FF movie blew serious chunks. I liked the much-maligned Roger Corman FF movie more than either of the big-budget movies that we've had.

I don't know anything about this possible director, but I hope FOX puts a real talent at the helm. FOX's Tom Rothman recently commented on how Marvel Studios have raised the bar on super-hero movies and that FOX would have to raise their sights with their Marvel properties in order to compensate.

4. Admiral_Young

^ Agreed. I've become a huge FF fan and want to see them treated with respect. The original two films were okay but extremely flawed.

5. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

Well I thought the films were fine. Jessica Alba was a bit miscast as Sue, IMO but she grew on me. The others were perfectly cast, as far as I'm concerned.

Presumably the reboot is needed in order to bring the FF in line with the current Marvel Universe series of films (don't be surprised if Nick Fury shows up in the new Spider-Man as well as this one). Since Evans is now Captain America they'd need to do some sort of rejigging. But I hope they keep Chiklis as the Thing. He was so perfect in the part that it's his voice I now hear when I read Ben Grimm in the comics.

Alex

6. Admiral_Young

^ Um Fox owns Fantastic Four. Sony owns Spider-Man. Fury won't be showing up in either. They're not rebooting this to "bring it in line" with the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Fox is just restarting their superhero comics line. They're rebooting "Daredevil" as well. We should be getting an update on this pretty soon as well.

The cast was okay. Alba as Sue was a bit miscast...it was the writing that was terrible. Tim Story wasn't a great director for the films either. Sean Astin would have been interesting since he lost out to Story. I'd still be interested in hearing what his pitch was to Fox.

7. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This new FF movie will be about as connected to Avengers as X-men First Class and Wolverine are connected to Avengers. That said, Fox can't necessarily stop Hugh Jackman, Samuel L Jackson, etc. from making unnamed cameos; I doubt the actors were barred in their contracts. It would probably come down to director's discretion.

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Dammit, no! Fox is supposed to do nothing with the property so that the rights can revert to Marvel! :klingon:

9. Admiral_Young

^ Yeah. I've stated for a while now that I would love Marvel to regain the film rights to Fantastic Four and Daredevil.

10. Silent_Bob

Silent_Bob Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would imagine the likenesses of the characters are covered by the license agreements. So while Hugh Jackman could turn up in Avengers 2 as Mr W. Olverine, the grouchy head cook at the Avengers Mansion, he wouldnt be able to look anything like the Wolverine he's portrayed in the X-men films.

11. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Agreed 100%. I hope that this guy is a genuine up and coming talent, who will prove to be the ideal choice for this material; hopefully it's not just Fox getting the cheapest option available.

12. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Chronicle is one of my must see films of '12. And man, the FF deserve FAR better films than they have gotten so far.

13. Admiral_Young

14. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Chronicle" was great. I'll totally keep an eye out for this.

15. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

Daredevil, sure. The Fantastic Four? Not sure.

I'd love an FF movie that celebrated all the awesome that was the classic Kirby era: a focus on family, fun and big adventure.

While the previous FF movies had their flaws, I think they did fine.

I'm not interested in seeing the FF done in the style of the current Avengers line of movies. I'm more interested in a 60's period piece that throws "realism" out the window for big, bold, Kirby-esque adventure.

Go for a trilogy....start with Namor or Mole Man as villain, while forshadowing Doctor Doom as villain of second movie and cap the trilogy off with Galactus (who's had foreshadowing through all three movies). And I'm talking about giant guy Galactus, not a giant cloud.

16. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Fuckin' A! :techman:

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

They had their floors?

those movies were 200 story sky scrapers my friend.

18. Admiral_Young

Tim Story was not the right director for either film. I would have liked to have seen what Sean Astin brought to the table (he was in the running to direct the first film).

19. Admiral_Young

20. Admiral_Young

Josh Trank is indeed confirmed to direct "Fantastic Four". They've added a writer as well....Jeremy Slater, who I'm not familiar with at all. He has projects currently in development though as the article states.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=92524